Rosetta Stone?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
paladinn
Ulthal

Rosetta Stone?

Post by paladinn »

C&C has long been called the "Rosetta Stone" of The Game; i.e. you can run/simulate most any edition/version of The Game, and likely run modules from said edition.

How/have you adapted C&C to do just that? What have you had to change to accomplish that? What have you been able to retain of the BtB C&C rules and mechanics and still make it all work?

Details and suggestions welcome:)

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Rosetta Stone?

Post by Lurker »

I've ran 1e & 2e adventures with C&C. You just have to change the AC and modify the spells a little. It is easy enough to do that for the most part I can do it on the fly with min notes.

I've only idea mined 3e and 5e so am not spun up on using C&C for them.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Most of the adventure's I've DM'd have been old 1E modules. I have run some Advanced Adventure modules as well, which I think are written for OSE or OSRIC. Makes no difference to me, as much like Lurker I just flip the AC. I can run these on the fly, and have only run into "trouble" when there isn't direct replacement spell in C&C for the 1E version. In the end, it's not the hard to figure it out.

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

As above, only I seem to take more time with the enemy spellcasters since old AD&D spellcasters had less spells per level. Beyond that, minimal prep, can do it on the fly as long as the spell casters are low level.

Third edition modules, I run as is using a few easy conversions, like dropping extra hit points from monsters (the +X gets removed), I found a conversion for spell resistance and challenge levels for saves and skill checks (likely from these threads way back in time), and switch out spells that are not C&C (lots of bull's strength as that seems to be a spell of choice for villains in both wand and spell use).
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Gundoggy
Ungern

Post by Gundoggy »

It's been quite a few years since I gamed. However I've run 3E/3.5E and AD&D material using C&C.

1. Spells that don't exist in C&C were dealt with using old AD&D books.
2. Saving throws had to be adjusted as non C&C material would be too tough using RAW C&C saves. I used the formula of using 2/3 of the attacker's hit dice/level to adjust the save difficulty, while PC"s could add their entire level to their saves. (this still made saves tougher than 1E) Depending on how tough you want it that factor could vary from 1/2 to 3/4 of attacher's hitdice/level (I routinely calculated boss monsters save difficulty using 3/4 to make them tougher)
3. For monster to hit bonus I just use the monster's hit dice...for AD&D monsters that could make some high hit dice monsters hit a lot more than they did using 1E rules.
4. I adjusted hit points down for 3.5 E monsters or just used 1E/2E sources for monster stats.
5. For older AD&D modules using dragons I was careful to not ensure the hitdice /hitpoints try to match the range of stats in source material as C&C dragons are much tougher.

The most important point is I used the above as guidelines and would modify as required to make an encounter fun/challenging.