Runemark: Static Runes

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
klklklkl
Henchman

Runemark: Static Runes

Post by klklklkl »

For example, the rune mark wishes to create an item that allows
him to breath under water. He inscribes the hold rune upon a ring
and successfully makes his attribute check. He follows that with
the air rune and makes a second successful attribute check. He
follows with the conditional rune, the water rune. No attribute
check is necessary, and he informs the CK that the ring’s rune power
activates the moment it touches water. At that point the static rune
becomes active and the air rune lasts only so long as the air rune
normally would.
Did I miss something? Hold, air, water? Or is this supposed to be an example of possible runes or other runes (e.g., breath as substitute for air)? Did I just not find these other runes?

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Re: Runemark: Static Runes

Post by DMSamuel »

I think they changed the names of the runes AFTER writing that example and then just never adjusted the example.

I think the Hold rune is supposed to be the Binding rune, the Air rune is supposed to be the Breath rune, and I am not sure what the Water rune is supposed to be. Fire used to be an Aihrdian rune, so I thought maybe water would be too... but then they changed Fire to be a rune of Destruction in the Adventurer's Spellbook and I don't see a reference to a rune that has to do with water.

This is one of my issues with runes - they are very loosey-goosey in writing and it is up to the CK to decide what to allow or disallow if they have a player with a runemark. I would probably allow them to use either Bottle or Air-to-Water to stand in for a "water" rune regarding this example.
~DMSamuel
---

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

I will also note that it IS possible that these three runes, Hold, Air, and Water, were published in the original runemark book - which I do not have a copy of and is now out of print - BUT I highly doubt it. It is just very TLG to have a bad example and keep reprinting it.
~DMSamuel
---

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMSamuel wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:53 pm
I will also note that it IS possible that these three runes, Hold, Air, and Water, were published in the original runemark book - which I do not have a copy of and is now out of print - BUT I highly doubt it. It is just very TLG to have a bad example and keep reprinting it.
Sadly to true ...

It has been years since I look at any of the rune books but I remember never completely wrapping my head around things like this. If I was to be playing more C&C (my girls switched to CoC/DG and now Traveller) I would probably put a HR together. However. like DMS said, loosey-goosey so just go with something that works and keeps it fun.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The rune system is haphazard at best, you will feel like you missed something quiet a bit. Let me know if you figure it out. I tried. I failed.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I simply made my own Rune Master class. I could figure out the book class...but it wasn't really user friendly IMO.

The example above is pretty much dealing with intent. Hold, Air, Water runes could be read as "Hold in Air repel Water" as one interpretation or "Hold Air when in Water" though that one is still vague in context. So basically, you're using a rudimentary vocabulary (runes) to describe the intended effects. Much like the early (original) illusionist class, the player has to use their intelligence to logically build their rune chain in accordance with what they intend to achieve...the Attribute checks are there for each rune to make sure they aren't screwed up when carved or whatever.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."