Adventurer's Backpack...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Kayolan
Lore Drake

Adventurer's Backpack...

Post by Kayolan »

What classes are included, are they balanced compared to the classes in the PHB or do they make some of them "obsolete"? Are the spells interesting, overpowered?

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Adventurer's Backpack...

Post by maximus »

Arcane thief, Archer, Divine Knight, Ethereal Knight, Foresworn, Magic User, Oathsworn, Pacer, Primal Druid, Rune Mark, Seeker, Skald, Thief, Warrior Priest. I don't think any of these make the PHB classes obsolete. I haven't dug deep into the spells, but from a quick glance they aren't world shaking.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

maximus wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:13 pm
Arcane thief, Archer, Divine Knight, Ethereal Knight, Foresworn, Magic User, Oathsworn, Pacer, Primal Druid, Rune Mark, Seeker, Skald, Thief, Warrior Priest. I don't think any of these make the PHB classes obsolete. I haven't dug deep into the spells, but from a quick glance they aren't world shaking.

Thanks, interesting to see Magic-User and Thief as optional classes. Divine Knight sounds like it might be a paladin that actually has military horsemanship abilities.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I've found the new Druid spell Open Sinkhole (1st lvl) a real challenge. It opens up a sinkhole 10-20 feet deep and 20ft +5' per level. It can be cast under foes so they drop into the hole and take falling damage, plus are now trapped at the bottom of essentially a large pit trap. My players have used it to drop a Hill giant into a hole, then fill it full of arrows and magic missiles, with no damage to themselves. They've done that a few times now. They've also used it to drop a party of gnolls into the hole, and again fill them full of arrows. Frustrating as a CK to see an encounter you thought would be challenging to the players, go so one-sided.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

dachda wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:51 pm
I've found the new Druid spell Open Sinkhole (1st lvl) a real challenge. It opens up a sinkhole 10-20 feet deep and 20ft +5' per level. It can be cast under foes so they drop into the hole and take falling damage, plus are now trapped at the bottom of essentially a large pit trap. My players have used it to drop a Hill giant into a hole, then fill it full of arrows and magic missiles, with no damage to themselves. They've done that a few times now. They've also used it to drop a party of gnolls into the hole, and again fill them full of arrows. Frustrating as a CK to see an encounter you thought would be challenging to the players, go so one-sided.
That spell is way too powerful for first level, looks like my suspicions weren't unfounded.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Kayolan wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 pm
dachda wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:51 pm
That spell is way too powerful for first level, looks like my suspicions weren't unfounded.
I'm not sure on that exact spell, but you could house rule it where the depth is not 10 - 20 feet, say start at 5 feet and then increase it as the caster advances in levels.

As for the party using it like than, just adjust your tactics. If the hole is only 20' Diameter, it should only catch 2 or 3 opponents, unless they are highly organized, trained soldiers, marching in tight formation. Other than that they should be spread out. Especially gnolls who by nature are pack hunters and use wolfish tactics. They should be spread out, using charge and fall back while the other gnolls on the other flank rush in, shooting and throwing harassing javelins and sneaking around to attack from the rear.

All that said, you should applaud your group for using good tactics themselves.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society