Light Spell

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
maximus
Ulthal

Light Spell

Post by maximus »

No doubt this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it in a search, so here goes. Can a Light spell be cast directly into the eyes of an opponent, blinding them temporarily? I know you could in OD&D, but can't in 1E. The C&C spell description doesn't say either way. My son asked about it in last weekend's game.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Light Spell

Post by Lurker »

I'd say sure it is possible.

Something like have the caster make an int (or Wis if a cleric) base attack. If it hits then the spell is placed correctly on the end of the target's noes and it is now at a negative to hit. A crit puts it in its eye and blinds the target.

Isn't there a blinding flash spell ???? If so you could use it as a basic idea on the use of light to blind the target.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Do you let mages and cleric perfectly put a spell just where they want... think magic missile perfect or any spell centered area to get the bad and just miss the good? So if you do not force some sort of magic spell to hit... then do not do it here.

Does the other guy get a save to not have it be in his face? You bet, I would make that a DEX save... if they make it the light isn't even on them its in the air where their head was...

Now let' get the tricky one or guide... "silence"... it gives great guidance here.. but adds a loop hole I like to exploit and let my PC exploit... the person in the flesh gets a DEX save... but the sword in his hand does not... or his shield or his breast plate .. or my favorite his holy symbol. They can always toss the item to get rid of the silence... if they figure out what item it is... give advantage to the spell caster more often than not but really annoys a PC caster targeted with his left boot...

I would say, same rules apply to light... nail the nose bride of the helmet just as good as in the eyes.

I like the "in the face" not in the eyes themselves... so huge bright light, not totally blinded, but darn close...

I like Lurker's approach, but I would just make it saves, fumble and its right in the eyes.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Captain_K wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:13 pm
Do you let mages and cleric perfectly put a spell just where they want... think magic missile perfect or any spell centered area to get the bad and just miss the good? So if you do not force some sort of magic spell to hit... then do not do it here.

Does the other guy get a save to not have it be in his face? You bet, I would make that a DEX save... if they make it the light isn't even on them its in the air where their head was...

Now let' get the tricky one or guide... "silence"... it gives great guidance here.. but adds a loop hole I like to exploit and let my PC exploit... the person in the flesh gets a DEX save... but the sword in his hand does not... or his shield or his breast plate .. or my favorite his holy symbol. They can always toss the item to get rid of the silence... if they figure out what item it is... give advantage to the spell caster more often than not but really annoys a PC caster targeted with his left boot...

I would say, same rules apply to light... nail the nose bride of the helmet just as good as in the eyes.

I like the "in the face" not in the eyes themselves... so huge bright light, not totally blinded, but darn close...

I like Lurker's approach, but I would just make it saves, fumble and its right in the eyes.
Love it. Not sure why i didn't think of these, but they are simple and add a bit of mischief and possibly frustration to the players. Great!

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Lurker wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:27 pm
I'd say sure it is possible.

Something like have the caster make an int (or Wis if a cleric) base attack. If it hits then the spell is placed correctly on the end of the target's noes and it is now at a negative to hit. A crit puts it in its eye and blinds the target.

Isn't there a blinding flash spell ???? If so you could use it as a basic idea on the use of light to blind the target.
Not sure on the blinding flash. I know Pyrotechnics has an affect something like that but a fire needs to be going to use it.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

CK, rgr on target make a save. To me 6 of one (on the caster placing it perfectly) half dozen of the other (on the target making a save). 2 ways to skin a cat.

As long as it isn't both it works for me.

Blinding flash. That is the problem with running different games. It isn't C&C, it is from Amazing Adventure. However, since they are both siege based games the spell should translate back into C&C no problem.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

yep not both, the spells are normally like melee... if the caster has to "hit" then no save, there are a few of those ranged touch or just touch attack based spells... so guys, he touched you, no save... OR a save if no to hit... so if you're trying to "target" someone, you either have to hit them OR they get a save.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.