View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Misattribution of a quote in a Signature 
Henchman

Post Misattribution of a quote in a Signature
I see that @sieg has not been on here in a long time, so I assume that there is no way to get a correction made.
In @sieg's signature it says
Quote:
Always remember, as a first principle of all D&D: playing BtB is not now, never was and never will be old school.- Tim Kask, Dragonsfoot
Great quote, just one problem, Tim Kask did not say that, I did.

Go toQ&A with Tim Kask over on Dragonsfoot page 2 and scroll down to my first post dated Wed May 02, 2007 6:43 am and read down the page from there to a post by Tim Kask (kaskoid) where his reply to me is his 3rd reply in that post on Wed May 02, 2007 8:57 pm. Towards the end of that post he quotes me and reply's:
Quote:
Forty-eight years of marriage and we were playmates as babies.
Mein Gott! You must be older than dirt... And I thought I was one of the senior old fogies in gaming...
My words above are in Italic and his are not.

Then he quotes my signature on DF and posts his agreement with it as follows again I am putting my words in Italic and his are not:
Quote:
Always remember, as a first principle of all D&D: playing BtB is not now, never was and never will be old school. Old school D&D involves house rules and at least some flying by the seat of the pants, making it up as you go.
Rules lawyers have missed the heart and soul of old school D&D.
Quote:
Tim Kask replied: Truer words were never spake.

Seeing as how @sieg has not logged in here in about 8 years, I don't suppose there is anyway to get his signature corrected, but it would be nice if it could be.
Thank you for your time, Crimhthan The Great

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:11 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Misattribution of a quote in a Signature
I think the problem is trickier than that. I am pretty sure Sieg is now DMMike, and probably because of some kind of login problem that made him make a new account. Maybe a moderator could give him access to the old account to change it.

DMMike/Sieg uses a screen reader, so I wonder if that played into not being able to discern the quote from the response. (But I have no idea.)

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:04 pm
Unkbartig

Partially true, though I'd wanted to move beyond the sieg persona for a while. I dont' have access to change it though. Considering Tim Kask agreed with the sentiments though, I dont' see the problem?

Mike

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:12 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Hello.

Interesting that you signed up here to make a correction on some old post on some old forum.

No problemo. You remember me, I'm sure.

You're 81 by your own reckoning, yes?

God Bless.

All old issues and transgressions are forgotten (not that I remember any of them) from back DF and/or other forums.

[Aside question - I seem to recall you were friends with or related to ~ Lauranella. True?]

Rhu. :)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:57 am
Henchman

Aergraith wrote:
I think the problem is trickier than that. I am pretty sure Sieg is now DMMike, and probably because of some kind of login problem that made him make a new account. Maybe a moderator could give him access to the old account to change it.

Or if a moderator could just edit the signature either delete it or update it to attribute the quote either to Crimhthan The Great and/or Daithi MacLiam

Aergraith wrote:
DMMike/Sieg uses a screen reader, so I wonder if that played into not being able to discern the quote from the response. (But I have no idea.)

Yes, recalled that he does use a screen reader and I assumed that it was an innocent mistake and not deliberate.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:52 am
Henchman

DMMike wrote:
Partially true, though I'd wanted to move beyond the sieg persona for a while. I dont' have access to change it though. Considering Tim Kask agreed with the sentiments though, I dont' see the problem?

Mike

The problem being Tim Kask is being given credit for saying that and it originated with me and it would be appreciated if it could be corrected.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:54 am
Henchman

Rhuvein wrote:
Hello.

Interesting that you signed up here to make a correction on some old post on some old forum.

No problemo. You remember me, I'm sure.

You're 81 by your own reckoning, yes?

God Bless.

All old issues and transgressions are forgotten (not that I remember any of them) from back DF and/or other forums.

[Aside question - I seem to recall you were friends with or related to ~ Lauranella. True?]

Rhu. :)

I don't really remember you except that I think you were one of the quiet moderators. I don't recall anything specific in regard to you, but if I did anything hurtful or unkind to you please accept my sincere apology.

Daithi

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:56 am
Ulthal

I'm glad this is being addressed, I was really losing sleep over the misattribution of a quote in a sig for a long-unused account.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 pm
Ulthal

Seriously... this is how you introduce yourself here?

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:59 pm
Ulthal

I dunno, DMMike, maybe you should do as he says...

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 pm
Ulthal

A moderator would not be able to fix this issue. Notice that sieg has never logged into this board, the issue is that when we spun up this board we took *most* of the old forum posts as RAW DATA and inserted them into this forum. The posts you see from that era are just posts no controllable signatures or anything like that. The only real way to fix it would be to attack each post entry at the database level.

-Mike

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

At least now we can prove to Wikipedia that Tim Kask did state it. Nyah nyah.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]