View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Adventurer's Backpacks - EV ratings 
Skobbit

Post Adventurer's Backpacks - EV ratings
What I see in the description of the various pre-made packs is too consistent to be typos, but I don't understand the EV ratings; they seem to contradict the rule that the EV's of a containers contents do not count toward the EV of a worn container, it only serves to mark the capacity of that container. What matters to the wearer is the EV of the container itself.

Take the Ranger Backpack on p.64 of Adventurer's Backpack. At the top of the description is the statement "Internal capacity is 18, when worn the EV is 4 plus content." As I understand containers, the EV should only be 4; if it were EV plus everything it held, there would be no benefit to using a balanced, weight-distributing device like a backpack. Since these packs list both interior and exterior items, I believe the more correct description here would be "Internal capacity is 18, when worn the EV is 4 plus the EV of its exterior items."

At the bottom of the description for the Ranger Backpack, a table lists in part these values:
Total interior items EV 15.81
Total exterior items EV 11.25
Pack itself EV 0.00
Totals EV 27.06

It does not seem right that my STR 18/ER 21 Ranger should fall into the Emcumbered category from a backpack alone, before any armor or weapons are added. If my reasoning above is correct, when worn, the fully equipped pack should burden him to the tune of 4.00 (the pack itself, including interior items) + 11.25 for the exterior items -- a total of 15.25 rather than the 27.06 listed.

The same math results in the Mountain Pack on p.55 a total EV of 4 + 18 = 22, instead of 35.19.

So, have the rules on EV and containers changed? Have I grossly misinterpreted the rules as given in the 7th Ed Player's Handbook? Am I completely misunderstanding what the Adventurer's Backpack is saying here?

Help!!!

Sun May 06, 2018 2:27 am
Hlobane Orc

Post Re: Adventurer's Backpacks - EV ratings
I did not get that far yet in the book.

Mon May 07, 2018 2:12 am
Skobbit

Are you proofreading the whole book? I confess I made no such effort, I jumped ahead to the description of the packs themselves.

(For that matter, I'm not sure where we are on being ready to go to print, is proofreading still ongoing with the possibility of changed to the text?)

Mon May 07, 2018 7:38 am
Lore Drake

There are a bunch of errors in the spells too. Things like SV: yes, rather than SV wisdom negates, Or The first E spell is placed as the last D spell, and it should be the second E spell at that.

Wed May 09, 2018 4:03 am
Skobbit

As I said, I have no idea where the book is in the proofreading process, or how near it is to print. Typos can almost never be fully eliminated, only minimized.

My concern with the EV ratings for the packs was that what looks wrong to me is presented consistently across all the pre-made packs and therefore less likely to be chalked up to typos or grammar. It's still possible, though. If you worded something in a way open to misinterpretation, and then replicated that wording over and over, changing only the numbers, obviously you would get a result that was bad in a consistent way.

My long-winded way of saying I was not reporting typos, but seeking a rule confirmation/clarification. Because what I read in that section of the book is way different from what I'd understood from the 7th Ed PHB.

Wed May 09, 2018 5:33 am
Mist Elf

Damon, I had the same thoughts. To me there are two possibilities. The first is that the rules for EV and containers have changed. The second is that they haven't changed, but just weren't explained clearly enough in the PHB (I can't remember if an example is given in the PHB). I do know that EV rules have evolved over the printings of the PHB. I've been meaning to crack open the EV section in the PHB while reviewing a few of the backpacks.

Thu May 10, 2018 5:25 am
Skobbit

Spade, glad to hear it's not just me that has the concern, and I welcome your analysis of the EV section comparing PHB 7 with the new book.

I am brand new to C&C this year; our CK has made us aware that many of the rules have evolved from edition to edition and that...shall we say proofreading may not be Troll Lords' most consistent virtue?

In any case, I claim no authority of C&C rules knowledge, but this seemed a glaring discrepancy that I really need to understand. Encumbrance is a problem in any FRPG; I had thought C&C provided a somewhat elegant treatment by using containers to offset some of that burden. But now...?

Thu May 10, 2018 12:27 pm
Clang lives!

I don't have the AB yet, so take this with a grain of salt. The encumberance rules was one of the things that changed from printing to printing, up until about the 4th printing (I think). The AB has been a work in progress since around the 2nd printing and has gotten pushed to the side several times for other projects. It could be that the Encumberance section in the AB was written several years ago (with a different set of rules) and no one thought to check it against the newer rules.

I'd recommend sending an email to Tim Burns with the concerns/information. He usually gets back to you faster than Steve.

R-

My Game Threads

Thu May 10, 2018 1:23 pm
Skobbit

I will take that suggestion. I do not find a direct email for anyone at the TLG website. But all my automated notifications of new posts to this forum come from tim@trolllord.com -- would that be an account Tim reads, and not just a bot?

Thu May 10, 2018 4:43 pm
Clang lives!

I think that's right, but you can also contact him throught the forums here: timburns.

R-

My Game Threads

Thu May 10, 2018 5:22 pm
Skobbit

Okay, done. I emailed tim@trolllord.com on Thursday, now to sit back and give Mr. Burns time to look into it.

Sun May 13, 2018 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]