Available Now {10-12-09} Of Gods & Monsters

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Pat Payne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Pat Payne »

James M. Ward wrote:
People,

I'm happy to say I have the first five pantheons done and I'm working on the Egyptian Pantheon right now.

Hurrah!
Quote:
You are also getting fun bonus' depending on the god you worship.

That is something dearly missed from AD&D. I'd rather have unique special powers from the differing deities than the "off the rack" sameness of the domain powers of 3rd edition.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I'm very happy this isn't a democracy. The best reason for buying the product is the Aihrde gods. You will have to settle for something like the dwarf or elf deities.

Happy Holidays!

James M. Ward

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

James M. Ward wrote:
when Peter has some time to do some of the art we will put one of the pantheons in Crusader for you all to comment on.

Happy holidays!

James M. Ward

I talked to the dwarf priest Glomach and he's consented to model again.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

yell0w_lantern
Hlobane Orc

Post by yell0w_lantern »

Yeah, please bring some character and charm back into it. The 3E Deities & Demi-gods book really seemed lacking. Heck, I think you've already done more pantheons.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I'd love to see the gods of Sumer included. A common view is if the Egyptian's taught us about Heaven then the Sumerian's taught us about Hell. Just my two cents [and I even stopped lurking and made an account to post that ]

-Mike

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Mike, Mike,

You need to read this entire post. I have given all of the pantheons that are going to be covered. I can see in another product the deities of Summer, but it isn't happening in this book. I feel your pain, but you can only do so much in 160 pages. I spent thirty minutes agonizing over putting in or leaving out Anubis in the Egyptian deities. I had to leave him out.

James M. Ward

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Yep I see that now, no worries it was still worth posting. As you say perhaps in a future product. All in all in sounds awesome both in content and scope, I'm sure your up to your eyeballs in. Good luck!

-Mike

K2h2m3

Post by K2h2m3 »

Anubis out? That seems rather strange however you do cite being restricted to 160 pages.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'd have dumped some other God of Egypt. Anubis is a rather important one, I'd think. Something like Shebek (or any other spelling thereof) less so. But, Jim's got the publishing know-how to understand what can get cut and not affect quality... so, I suspect there'll be an addendum project to "finish" this one. Maybe we'll finally get pdf support products?

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Just for fun I would like to hear from you fans on my choices. I'm not saying I will change a thing, but I value the discussion from the people buying the product.

I am at the top of my word count in this section. Each section lists the gods, lists 9 spells unique to that pantheon and you have to worship those gods to use those spells, and it lists monsters. I decided Anubis had to go even though I agree he is a cool deity. Here are my picks:

RA GOD OF THE SUN

HATHOR GODDESS OF LOVE, MUSIC, AND THE DANCE

SEKHMET GODDESS OF THE SUN

GEB, GOD OF THE EARTH

OSIRIS GOD OF DEATH AND RULER OF THE GODS

SET GOD OF THE DESERT AND CHAOS

HORUS GOD OF REVENGE AND YOUTH

ISIS GODDESS OF MAGIC

THOTH GOD OF WISDOM

ANHUR GOD OF WAR

PTAH GOD OF THE HEAVENS

1: The Set, Osiris, Isis, Horus thing forces me to include all of them because of their legend.

2: Ra, duh

3: Ptah is my favorite of this pantheon, do don't even

4: Anhur, I think I need a god of war for my fighter types

5: Thoth made all of the magical spells everyone uses

6: If I don't use Geb where do my druids go to say thanks?

7: Hathor and Sekhmet are there because I have so few females in this pantheon. I realize Hathor is a goddess of love, but she also powers my bards. Sekhmet is cool because she is the ultimate destroyer of everything.

So, that's my thinking, feel free to pile in. We don't have to make a final decision for two weeks.

James "Always Ready to Listen" Ward

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It is very hard to narrow down the Egytian pantheon into just 11 gods. Matter of fact, it seems that even at 12 (with Anubis) that there is much to much to be left out. Perhaps, cut down the other descriptions of the gods to fit Anubis in? It could be argued that Hathor and Ptah are very much less known as Anubis, so why include one of them? Overall, I'd say find a way to include Anubis as he is very important to the pantheon, and one of the most well known of the Egyptian gods.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

O,

I completely understand your position. Let me ask you a few things. Out buddy Anubis is known as the guardian of the dead. What character class would want to worship this god? All of the deities I have grant powers to their worshipers, what power would Anubis grant to his clerics and others? I just don't think there is enough substance there to warrent including him.

James M. Ward

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

As you say you are at your word count so your wiggle room if pretty limited. I like Ptah also so I won't bother saying anything. If you had the extra room bring the total to 12 with Anubis would be a nice, and in a numerical sense would be cool for the 12 hours of the Book of Gates.

But your choices make sense to me and you cover the basic aspects required for game play. CK's can always flush out the list or the Trolls can bring out a Book 2 if the demand is there. [ That might be a good afterwards if you have space for 1 page, which sounds unlikely, about how you would expand a given list, things to look for, aspects, etc... That in you words the rational and process for defining a god/goddess ]

-Mike

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Mike,

Your thoughts do give me an idea. I can always present several pages of 'lost' gods in the Crusader magazine every month. That way anyone who really wanted to see a particular god can have their cake and eat it too.

James M. Ward

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Sounds like a great idea!!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

James M. Ward wrote:
Mike,

Your thoughts do give me an idea. I can always present several pages of 'lost' gods in the Crusader magazine every month. That way anyone who really wanted to see a particular god can have their cake and eat it too.

James M. Ward

James-

I was going to suggest a Crusader enhancement, but I was wondering - for those who do not subscribe (heresy, I know ) would it be possible to do a web enhancement? A pdf download, perhaps? Shoot, it doesn't even have to be free (though that would be nice...)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

James M. Ward wrote:
O,

I completely understand your position. Let me ask you a few things. Out buddy Anubis is known as the guardian of the dead. What character class would want to worship this god? All of the deities I have grant powers to their worshipers, what power would Anubis grant to his clerics and others? I just don't think there is enough substance there to warrent including him.

James M. Ward

The primary class I could see worshiping Anubis would be clerics and seconded by wizards. The way I see it, the guardian of the dead would be the deity of important in any fantasy campaign that uses various forms of undead. This might be for purposes of necromancy or perhaps even putting the dead to rest. Of course Osiris easily fits the bill too as a god of death and rebirth. Maybe a brief mention of Anubis under the Osiris entry?

I think a 'lost gods' series of articles in Crusader would be an awesome idea and this planned book just sounds awesome.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Since I'm the managing editor of Crusader magazine, I think for now we will keep the idea of this wonderful set of Gods articles only in the magazine. After all, I need my Christmas stocking filled with subscribers to the magazine or there will be no Ho, Ho, Hoing for me for the rest of the year.

James M. Ward

Managing Editor

Crusader

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Actually, the best idea is to host a series of Crusader articles. Additonally, if there is enough material for the Crusader over the term of these articles, who's to say there couldn't be a Gods & Monsters II?

As for worshipping Anubis, I now see why you had decided to cut him. Moriarty777 does bring about an excellent suggestion regarding wizards who might worship Anubis.

What about this: perhaps at the end of the section detailing the Egyptian deities, put in a paragraph or two regarding other Egytian deities and a brief, one-sentance description of their portfolio.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Of all the ideas I've seen so far, I think putting the entries in the Crusader magazine as the best idea. If people don't subscribe to the magazine, it might behoove them to do so. Very much like what the Dragon magazine used to be!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I'm on board for the Crusader idea too. I think it will help boost subscriptions, plus I think adding to pantheons in Crusader will offer more content for those who don't play C&C but do use another compatible system.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Pat Payne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Pat Payne »

James M. Ward wrote:
Just for fun I would like to hear from you fans on my choices. I'm not saying I will change a thing, but I value the discussion from the people buying the product.

I am at the top of my word count in this section. Each section lists the gods, lists 9 spells unique to that pantheon and you have to worship those gods to use those spells, and it lists monsters. I decided Anubis had to go even though I agree he is a cool deity. Here are my picks:

RA GOD OF THE SUN

HATHOR GODDESS OF LOVE, MUSIC, AND THE DANCE

SEKHMET GODDESS OF THE SUN

GEB, GOD OF THE EARTH

OSIRIS GOD OF DEATH AND RULER OF THE GODS

SET GOD OF THE DESERT AND CHAOS

HORUS GOD OF REVENGE AND YOUTH

ISIS GODDESS OF MAGIC

THOTH GOD OF WISDOM

ANHUR GOD OF WAR

PTAH GOD OF THE HEAVENS

1: The Set, Osiris, Isis, Horus thing forces me to include all of them because of their legend.

2: Ra, duh

3: Ptah is my favorite of this pantheon, do don't even

4: Anhur, I think I need a god of war for my fighter types

5: Thoth made all of the magical spells everyone uses

6: If I don't use Geb where do my druids go to say thanks?

7: Hathor and Sekhmet are there because I have so few females in this pantheon. I realize Hathor is a goddess of love, but she also powers my bards. Sekhmet is cool because she is the ultimate destroyer of everything.

So, that's my thinking, feel free to pile in. We don't have to make a final decision for two weeks.

James "Always Ready to Listen" Ward

Mr. Ward:

I'd like to throw a "dark horse" vote, if there's still time, towards Serket, Goddess of Scorpions -- she'd make for a nasty evil goddess or a patron over venom victims. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serquet

As for the Crusader gods supplement, I'm all for it too!

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I am for articles in the Crusader as well.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

K2h2m3

Post by K2h2m3 »

I would like to also say I like the idea of an enhancement. Although I don't subscribe I do pick up every issue from my FLGS. I guess it really doesn't matter to me if Anubis gets cut as I have the D20 version of Gary's Necropolis.

Kos
Hlobane Orc

Post by Kos »

For a few more goddeses; Bastet(cat headed one),Maat(judge of the dead along with Thoth and Anubis) ,Nephthys(Set's consort). Serket was the gaurdian of the canopic jars.

You gotta have Anubis, he was the god who invented mumification, a pretty good bet for a god of undeath.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I just finished the pantheon of the gnomes and I'm thinking it's some of my best work. They are amusing deities with items and spells that don't seem useful at all at first, but show some amazing uses if one thinks about them for a bit.

On to the Greeks and Titans!

James M. Ward

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

James M. Ward wrote:
I just finished the pantheon of the gnomes and I'm thinking it's some of my best work. They are amusing deities with items and spells that don't seem useful at all at first, but show some amazing uses if one thinks about them for a bit.

On to the Greeks and Titans!

James M. Ward

Wow, you're cranking out the work. Can't wait until the final work is in my hands!!

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Aladar wrote:
I am for articles in the Crusader as well.

+1

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

YOU *points* and you damnable +1's... [Shatner] MALIKI!!!!!!!!! [/Shatner]

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

James M. Ward wrote:
Since I'm the managing editor of Crusader magazine, I think for now we will keep the idea of this wonderful set of Gods articles only in the magazine. After all, I need my Christmas stocking filled with subscribers to the magazine or there will be no Ho, Ho, Hoing for me for the rest of the year.

James M. Ward

Managing Editor

Crusader

I subcribed a couple days ago!

Looking forward to your articles!