[IC] In the service of the sorcerer

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
angelius
Lore Drake
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:00 am

Post by angelius »

With piqued curiousity, Gerald raises his eyebrow at the possibility of an ambush. Following in step, he draws his sword but instead of utilizing his hearing or sight, he will use his tracking ability to observe the grounds for any recent travel by humanoids or animals.

*Rolls 14+1(level)+1(wis) = 16*
_________________
Big Iron Vault Your friendly neighbourhood gaming magazine. Check out our new webcomic, The Heindrich Project!

Moorcrys
Red Cap
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am

Post by Moorcrys »

"I prefer to slumber under this canopy than to gaze up at a wooden ceiling, to be sure.

I will take a few hours' watch this evening, should others wish sleep. These elfish eyes see much under a clear night sky such as this."

Ahlwyn breathes in the night air, his winged companion perched on a nearby branch.
_________________
----------------

Moorcrys

eibon
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by eibon »

As everyone takes note of the rogue's words and listens, a soft droning can be heard, as of a swarm of angry giant bumblebees. Somewhere, when you are all quiet and you listen harder you can all briefly catch a horrific cackling on the gentle wind.

Gerald finds a most curious thing about the piled firewood; there are no recent footprints around the firewood, but the the split pieces of wood seem freshly cut and stacked.
_________________
"All that we are destined to behold will reveal itself at the proper time," said Eibon.

--Clark Ashton Smith

angelius
Lore Drake
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:00 am

Post by angelius »

Gerald whispers to the group,

"Friends, this maybe of little interest to you but there are no recent footprints around the firewood. Yet the wood in the fireplace is stacked perfectly as if to start a fire and they appear fresh! Perculiar!"

Gerald enters a squating position and readies his weapon as he scans the area for any discernable evidence of an ambush.
_________________
Big Iron Vault Your friendly neighbourhood gaming magazine. Check out our new webcomic, The Heindrich Project!

User avatar
BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:00 am

Post by BeZurKur »

Au'rune says in a clear voice, "Sorry to alarm you friends. I must have been mistaken." He turns and squats to the circle of adventurers. He whispers, "And if you believe that, you'll also believe Krunx is a prince's whore. Make it look like you relax, but only have it appear so. If they approach, it is on wings and from at least the direction I was facing. I will try to get a better look, but I need just a moments distraction. I leave it up to you."

Au'rune stands, stretches, and says, "Don't wake me unless it is for breakfast." He makes his way to his horse outside the ring of people -- closer to the darkness -- and begins to look like he is rummaging through his bags. He waits for the opportunity when eyes would be off of him, grabs a handful of javelins, and steps into the mire.

He will kneel in it, mostly submerged, moving along with no splashes and barely a stir. Where it is too deep, quietly float, where the bog comes up, crawl in the mud and reeds. All moves around and toward that cackle on the wind.

User avatar
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Tracker man needs distraction, Krinx good at making spectacle.

With that Krunx begins to sing a bawdy drinking song and dancing a little jig in his full suit of chian armor.

Krunx sings;

"As me walking through the wood,

I shit myself, I knew me would.

I cired for help and no help came,

and so I shit myself again."

"I shit myself I knew I would,

It was a very scary wood,

The buzzards circled overhead,

And filled my sould (and pants) with dread."
_________________
CK the CK
"My goddess touched me at an early age."

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

eibon
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by eibon »

As the wizard begins making gestures with his hands and chanting softly at least a couple dozen wing*ed shapes buzz into view, looking like a mottled amalgamation of bat and mosquito. Each creature has a hungrily twitching probiscis and unfeeling insect eyes that gleam with a cold light. The bat-like wings flap so fast, and with so many of the demonic looking little monsters in the air they give off a soft buzzing or droning sound.
_________________
"All that we are destined to behold will reveal itself at the proper time," said Eibon.

--Clark Ashton Smith

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10784
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

Hearing the buzz and watching the flying creatures approach, Artemis grips his flail tightly and stands ready for battle. "May the gods grant their favor upon us" he recites in his mind and then grits his teeth.
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

PeelSeel2
Ulthal
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Wayne, NE

Post by PeelSeel2 »

"STEADY NOW!! Wait for these vile beasts to start their dive at you!! Then draw back at the last second and LET THEM HAVE IT!! Don't be afraid to hit the ground to avoid them!! They fly so they have to maneuver!! THAT IS OUR ADVANTAGE!!" Sphere says in a loud steady voice while drawing and his sword and raising his shield to ready.

{Inspire for the first round of combat, everybody is +3 to hit. He still has a hold of the reigns of his ass with his shield hand, but will let go if it hinders his defense or his ass gets jumpy.}
_________________
Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

-George Washington

User avatar
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Krux stops his song, tightens the strap on his helmet and readies his weapon and shield. And lets out a silly kid-like giggle.

"Hehehehe, Krux smash tiny bat-bugs!"
_________________
CK the CK
"My goddess touched me at an early age."

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

angelius
Lore Drake
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:00 am

Post by angelius »

"Wow. I thought these weren't native to these parts."
By the Gods I hate flying insects so much...

Overcoming his fear of flying insects due to the sense that his comrades will have his back, Gerald sheathes his sword and draws his bow. Aiming down the arrow, Gerald will let loose an arrow, if it appears that the stirges are going to attack the party. Knowing that he is not as powerful as Krux, Gerald will try to keep out of range of melee combat and plink off stirges that are isolated. If cornered into melee, he will not hesitate to drop his bow and draw his sword.
_________________
Big Iron Vault Your friendly neighbourhood gaming magazine. Check out our new webcomic, The Heindrich Project!

eibon
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by eibon »

As the disturbing bat-insect creatures fly in closer it is apparent that they are planning to attack. These hideous monstrosities are not very organized, but they are attacking in numbers, flying in an ugly swarm towards the party.

Above the sounds of these beasts, the group preparing for battle, the nervous whickering of the ass there is still an evil laughter that can be discerned in the background gloom.

[please roll for initiative]
_________________
"All that we are destined to behold will reveal itself at the proper time," said Eibon.

--Clark Ashton Smith

PeelSeel2
Ulthal
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Wayne, NE

Post by PeelSeel2 »

1 on a d10.

Action: Inspire courage. Also attack if posible. If I am not being attacked, then tie ass up quick if I can so he doesn't bolt.
_________________
Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

-George Washington

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10784
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

Artemis will swing his flail at the nearest ugly flying critter hoping knock them out of the sky when he has the chance.

[Initiative = 5]
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Krunx rolls a 6 on a d10

He will swing at neareast one. (+8 to hit thanks to the bard!)

"Heheh bard man make me feel all funny inside!"
_________________
CK the CK
"My goddess touched me at an early age."

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Moorcrys
Red Cap
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am

Post by Moorcrys »

Ahlwyn readies his bow, pulling an arrow from his quiver and letting loose an arrow at one of the oncoming creatures.


_________________
----------------

Moorcrys

angelius
Lore Drake
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:00 am

Post by angelius »

Gerald rolls a 1.
_________________
Big Iron Vault Your friendly neighbourhood gaming magazine. Check out our new webcomic, The Heindrich Project!

User avatar
BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:00 am

Post by BeZurKur »

(Here's to hoping Au'rune goes unspotted!)

A natural 10 for initiative, although if my plan goes well, it shouldn't really matter.

Au'rune hears the battle outbreak, the bark of orders, and the stamping of feet. For a moment, he has a flash of concern and hopes his horse is safe.

eibon
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by eibon »

[The critters received a 4 on their iniative roll, the mage a 7]

With no particular organization the flying monstrosities move in, driven more by bloodlust than intellect. As Au'rune fades into the background the wizard steps forward, and a spell is cast. Motes of sparkling dust flow from the mage's hands to swirl amidst the first onslaught wing*ed beasts. Suddenly, like fist sized statues of lead, the creatures fall to the ground, clawed legs twitching spasmodically as they fall into slumber. As with the intelligence of any simple animal, a half dozen of the creatures flee, while five remain to continue the battle.

As Ahlwyn looses an arrow from his bow, it strikes home, despite the creature's natural agility, dropping yet another beast. While this happens the brazen half-orc attacks, swinging heroically, yet the flying fiend eludes the deadly blow and moves in to attack. The remaining creatures are too far out of reach for the remaining party members to strike.

The wizard announces matter of factly, "That spell won't keep them down for long and I only have so many I can use per day. I suggest we dispatch these miserable creatures before they awaken."

[Krunx, I will need a Save vs Str roll for you to avoid the beast's attack]

edit: From now on you will be rolling your own combat rolls, I asked my girlfriend to roll the dice for the players just to get caught up.
_________________
"All that we are destined to behold will reveal itself at the proper time," said Eibon.

--Clark Ashton Smith

User avatar
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Roll = 15 +3 (str) +1 lvl = 19 (Prime attribute).
_________________
CK the CK
"My goddess touched me at an early age."

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10784
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

eibon wrote:
The wizard announces matter of factly, "That spell won't keep them down for long and I only have so many I can use per day. I suggest we dispatch these miserable creatures before they awaken."

The halfling cleric, having no qualms about ridding the world of evil creatures, quickly uses his dagger to cut the their throats.
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

angelius
Lore Drake
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:00 am

Post by angelius »

"Yeech...thats a nasty slash there!", cringes Gerald as he follows the halfling cleric.
_________________
Big Iron Vault Your friendly neighbourhood gaming magazine. Check out our new webcomic, The Heindrich Project!

PeelSeel2
Ulthal
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Wayne, NE

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Sphere takes pleasure into dispatching the foul little creatures.
_________________
Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

-George Washington

User avatar
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Krunx will occupy the ones still flying whiel the others dispath the sleeping bloodsuckers. He will taunt them and wave at them to get their focus and attention on him.

"Come get big juicy Krunx meal, be careful me bite back."

Rolled a 3 on the next initiative roll.
_________________
CK the CK
"My goddess touched me at an early age."

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

User avatar
BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:00 am

Post by BeZurKur »

Au'rune slowly rises from the muck behind the wizard. Clenched in one hand are the javelins. The other grips a short curved blade. He looks around, his elven sight revealing the dark marsh.
Father was good for some things.

Au'rune can see his travel companions in the short distance. Some are on their feet fighting the buzzing creatures; others on their knees dispatching the ones enchanted. He hurls the bundle of javelins into the ground next to him, alerting the wizard of his presence.

"You have an odd sense of humor, wizard. You almost got to feel my cold steel between your ribs for it. Actually, I'm still not convinced you didn't bring those things upon us!" He stretches his left arm outward, while poising the right with short sword behind his ear. "So convince me: as if your life depended on it."

angelius
Lore Drake
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:00 am

Post by angelius »

When Gerald gets the chance he will let loose a volley of arrows plinking off any he can get without shooting in melee.

"Gah flying insects! I hate flying insects!"
_________________
Big Iron Vault Your friendly neighbourhood gaming magazine. Check out our new webcomic, The Heindrich Project!

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10784
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

After some quick throat cutting of the nasty flying creatures, Artemis sheathes his dagger and stands ready with his heavy flail watching for another attack. Silently he recites a prayer for his comrades and himself to prevail in combat.
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Akrasia
Red Cap
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:00 am

Post by Akrasia »

(OOC: The message I originally posted here was meant for the OOC thread. My apologies!)
_________________
While it is unlikely to interest most of you, here is my 'cunning' blog: http://dailyakrasia.blogspot.com/

Akrasia
Red Cap
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:00 am

Post by Akrasia »

Having expended magical energies already, Thrasymachus is wary of casting another spell. Instead he backs up slighty, draws a dart from his belt, and hurls it at one of the flying beasts.

(If the stirges are already within melee range, he will use his staff instead.)
(Roll 6 for initiative.)
_________________
While it is unlikely to interest most of you, here is my 'cunning' blog: http://dailyakrasia.blogspot.com/

PeelSeel2
Ulthal
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Wayne, NE

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Sphere, having secured his ass, plunges into the fray attacking the stirges with vigor.

(rolls 3 for initiative)
_________________
Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

-George Washington

Post Reply