[IC] In the service of the sorcerer

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
eibon

[IC] In the service of the sorcerer

Post by eibon »

I'd like speech in "quotes" and thoughts in italics. Further world details will come along as the game expands, for now, this is a good start and I dont want to delay the game any longer. I will keep working on the website, maps and artwork and should have a website ready next weekend.

Autumn is looming in the distance, even as the long, scorching days of summer linger on. Having been in the town of Ultalnos for a few months each of you has become familiar with the ways of this large town. A magocracy as most, the ruler, a middle-aged sorcerer named Duralk is for the most part benevolent, if a bit aloof. To escape the doldrums of common work, anyone with skills in any adventuring career may opt to take part in the vocation of mage-guard, a role which pays well and offers more excitement than farming, cleaning stalls or rat-catching, among many other drab and despicable callings. The vicissitudes of such employment promised to be many and varied, however, up to this day were relegated to such tasks as carrying the nebulous tithing to the nearby river spirit Argetel to encourage a bountiful piscatorial harvest, routing a small band of goblin skirmishers from the southern border when the somnolent guards apparently had their pikes misplaced and the rumor of an infernal lamia creeping about nightly near the temple of Ultanoschief deity, Rel-Graj the Liege Mage, which turned out to be a bored female noble from a neighboring town. Little has been actually protecting Duralk or his staff of mages and strategists.

Having joined the mage-guard and being equipped and housed in the adequate if plain thatched roofed dwelling known as Foxheart. Exquisite wines, loaves of sumptuous bread, roasted beef and venison and fine imported cheeses are the fodder of the mage-guard of Duralk. You may boast of a certain freedom within the town of Ultanos and minor indiscretions are often overlooked as long as they in no way threaten Duralk. Any who would do harm to the towns leader are taken to his tower and never seen again, some whisper that traitors are offered to another deity, the Lord Below, a shadowy, sardonic godling who rules subterranean realms. So far in your employment you have not learned whether these tales are true or not.

Whiling away the hours playing a game of cards and avoiding the broiling sun in the relative shade of Foxheart. Welem, majordomo to Duralk enters the building followed by a half dozen minor officers of state, his usual onerous smile that belies another commission for their arcane governor. Fine robes swayed as he walked, disturbing small motes of dust, a staff gripped firmly in one hand.

Welem looks about the room, his heavy lidded eyes surveying everyone with an almost perturbed gaze.

"Three days journey north, passed the Grove of Dwen and the Necropolis of Zal is an opening called the Stair of Hylak. Spiral stairs mark the entrance, which twists deep underground. Duralk asks of you to take this key and follow the stair to its nethermost depths, once there, use the key to open the stone door you find, then retrieve that which you find on the wooden table in the center of the room. He asks only this, anything else you find along the way is yours to keep. You may start out in two days' time, prepare what you need to.

Reaching into his voluminous robes, Welem produces an ordinary looking key and sets it in the middle of the table, disregarding the card game entirely. Tapping his ornately carved ivory staff of office on the floor as a signal to his companions, he turns and leaves the room, the door closing abruptly behind them.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Mmm, mage-boss must think we are good guards to send us on important mission. Or maybe mage-boss think Krunx is big crunchy who eats too much food and wants to get off payroll? Me thinks I ask actor-man, what he know bout Stair of Hylak.

[Krunx speaks to Sphere the Bard]

"Actor-man, what you know bout these stairs? Is dey dangerous?"

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

[I would like to make a Legend Lore roll for The Stairs, and the room we are going to. What items are rumored to be in the stairs? Rolled 7(3+3+1) with mods]

[I would also like to make a Legend Lore roll for Welem to see what his standing is with the lower nobles and common people. Rolled 10(6+3+1) with mods]

Looking back at his poker hand Sphere addresses Krunx, "First, my formidable friend, let us finish this game! As I was saying, these two two's I have are called a pair. Now a pair beats your three queens hands down. The three queens are called the unwanted wenches. So that costs you ANOTHER 5 gold Krunx..."

-George Washington

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

After several minutes the door swings open again, introducing a fresh blast of summer heat into the room. In steps Ahlwyn, the elf, smelling of twigs and fresh earth. He looks about the room, then sighs.

"What news from the Tower, friends? Imeol spied several strangers entering this place -- but they seem to have left before I could arrive. Perhaps they provide an excuse to leave the reek of this town in highsummer?"

Moorcrys

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

The eastern nomad stands from his chair against the wall. He studies the key, but doesn't disturb it from it's place among the cards and coins on the table. Anyone can tell he is least accustomed to the heat, but still he doesn't sweat. Instead of beads, he has a shiny veneer that gives a freshly oiled appearance.

"If you prefer the reek of a musty dungeon, then yes," he says, although never taking his focus from the key. He finally judges it's safe, quickly grabs it and tosses it to Ahlwyn. "If you're keen on going, elf, I'll join. At least it must be cooler underground."

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

"Silly actor-man, me thinks you play trick." [pays bard 5GP]

"If me find you cheat me rip off your head and make a puppet out of it."

"Leaf-elf and thief elf want to go what do you think magic-man?"

[Krunx addresses Lord Barr]

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

"I think, companions, we have no choice. When we signed up for the mage-guard, we said, 'Yes! We will follow your orders and go on your missions!'. Personally I would rather stay. But, we all have to go. I am going to go draw supplies." Sphere says.

-George Washington

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

Au'rune watches Sphere get up and make his way to the exit, and thinks to himself: There is precious little I must do, and the world is a big place.

"Aye Sphere," says Au'rune. "We are all bound to the Mage." He then mutters to himself, "And I, for now."

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

[I'll be keeping my present spell lineup for the present, but I'll be changing up when we arrive at our destination.]

[What do I know of the Grove of Dwen?]

Ahlwyn places the key in a pouch on his belt.

"We are all obligated, and I willing, if for nothing else than to encounter fresher air. Though I fear if we're to go underground even that gift will be fleeting. But so be it, the river spirit seems content, and the woods inviting."

Moorcrys

eibon

Post by eibon »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
[I would like to make a Legend Lore roll for The Stairs, and the room we are going to. What items are rumored to be in the stairs? Rolled 7(3+3+1) with mods]

[I would also like to make a Legend Lore roll for Welem to see what his standing is with the lower nobles and common people. Rolled 10(6+3+1) with mods]

You recall hearing that the Stairs are the lower chambers of a necromancer from the ancient past. Allegedly the subterranean vaults were where the arcanist summoned shades, phantoms and entities of the lower planes. Rumors state that some creature or creatures unknown that dwell in the depths come to the surface to hunt for victims to drag down to their lairs for food or other, more disturbing purposes.

Welem is commonly thought to be somewhat loyal to Duralk, yet sometimes he belies a bit of contempt for the ruling wizard. Some occurences have lead many into believing that the majordomo is himself an illusionist of some small ability.

--Clark Ashton Smith

eibon

Post by eibon »

Moorcrys wrote:
[I'll be keeping my present spell lineup for the present, but I'll be changing up when we arrive at our destination.]

[What do I know of the Grove of Dwen?]

The Grove of Dwen is known to be the home of a small gathering of druids that tend, deep in the heart of the grove, a trio of unique trees that possess magical properties that you currently know nothing of. Generally benevolent, the druids are not fond of outsiders trying to pry too deep into their secrets.

edit: with the knowledge of the board server backup situation, this game is being backed up by me, just in case.

--Clark Ashton Smith

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Before Sphere leaves to draw supplies, he asks the rest of the party if their is any weapons or armor that they want. "I will see what I can get you!"

When drawing supplies, Sphere is going to try to the get lightest food rations available, 2 weeks worth for every individual. Also climbing gear for at least a 200ft ascent/descent, capable of lifting loads too. Camping gear for the number of individuals we have, spikes, chalk, binding cord, armor maintainance kits, weapon maintainance kits, a couple gallons of oil, a water bladder, a crowbar, a prybar, a leverage bar, and an Ass for carrying supplies. He is going to try fenagling a couple continual light/flame 'torches'. While Sphere is scrounging, he is going to try to come up with healing potions/oils/salves or good berries. Sphere will also try to get whatever armor and weapons the group wanted, along with a good medium wooden shield for himself and longsword.

If any of the individuals he is wrestling supplies from gives him resistance, he reminds them in a not so subtle manner that Welem is sending our unit on a mission of importance for Duralk. If they still give issue, I remind them I can get Welem down here to straighten the situation out, but he will probably be very mad at having to take time from his busy schedule to come down here and get supplies for a mission that he has ordered for Duralk! If they still do not want to give me what I need, I go find Welem with my list, profusely apologizing for taking his time, groveling however appropriatly for him. I then mention in a sublte manner the need for this equipment, and that I have been trying to aquire for this important mission, but certain individuals .."did not want to give me supplies for your, um.... un-important mission!"

-George Washington

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

As Sphere leaves Krux will ask "You need help?"

If he says yes, Krunx will accompany the Bard and stand beside him looking very intimidating in full armor, weapons dangling from belt, assisting in the bards aquisitions. He will ask Sphere to aquire some javelins (3 or 4) or spears (1 or 2) for him.

If the bard does not want Krux's company, the half-orc will make sure his weapons are in order and find a wench (if possible).

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Eyeing the intimidating figure Krunx cuts, and thinking it may not have been wise (note 8 wisdom, heheh) to cheat him, Sphere says "That is a great idea! Then if anybody wants to give us guff, you can bulge your muscles and snarl!!"

-George Washington

eibon

Post by eibon »

Before, in your forays to get supplies you were treated fairly for the most part. Now, with a few tasks under your belt, it seems that merchants are very willing to help you, some charging a mere pittance to get the group supplied. Decent rations, a healthy mule (with tack, harness and carrying puches and bags), rope, assorted sacks and bags. All of this costs the entire party 125 gold pieces.

Pondering your luck, it could be respect, it could be the influence of Welem or Duralk, who knows? Did one of those merchants give you an odd look, come to think of it?

For all intents and purposes, you are ready to begin your journey.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Artemis Underpoole, halfling cleric finishes smoking his pipeweed and drains his glass of ale. "Ahh, nothing like a good smoke, after such a grand lunch!, he muses to himself.

Suddenly he hops off the stool and make a quick decision, "I will join these fellow adventures on this quest on behalf of the great mage!"

The halfling walks over to the others and introduces himself and says he's ready to help with the supplies.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

When Sphere gets back with Krunx from gathering supplies, he informs the others of what he knows about the key and the necromancers liar. He also notes to the party how 'helpful' the merchants were in gathering supplies. He makes it know that he is starting to get the impression that we may be on a fools errand and that we should all watch our backs in this journey. The Necromancers liar may turn out to be more than bargained for......

Looking quizically at the halfing Sphere says "Welcome!! I hope you are not short on courage in this endevour!!" As he holds out his hand to the halfling in a gesture of freindship.

-George Washington

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
Looking quizically at the halfing Sphere says "Welcome!! I hope you are not short on courage in this endevour!!" As he holds out his hand to the halfling in a gesture of freindship.

Shaking the bard's hand, Artemis replies, "No, I'm only short of pipeweed at times, but never afraid, since the gods protect those who believe. Glad to meet you!".

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

"Short man come with us?"
Why would such a small man risk danger? Krunx make sure he stay ok, maybe he be Krunx friend.

"If you get scared just stay behind Krunx, me smash enemies with things."

Krux offers a dirty hand and mongoloid grin to the halfling. Then he addresses the others:

"Lets go, Krunx not smash anything with morningstar for long time, need practice. Cave sound like good place to smash."

Krunx hefts his equipment over his should, leaves the inn and heads for the road on his way to the cave. He takes one quick look over his shoulder and spouts:

"Yous keep up with Krunx, me not wait for weaklings."

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

"Indeed, with stories of the walking dead and a necromancer's lair, we would do well to travel with you, good priest. A fine addition to our motley band."

Ahlwyn leans in to the halfling as he moves toward the door, whispering, "A word of advice... in this summer heat, stay upwind of our orcish companion."

With that he makes a quick check of his personal belongings and moves out onto the street, following Krunx.

Moorcrys

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
"Short man come with us?"
Why would such a small man risk danger? Krunx make sure he stay ok, maybe he be Krunx friend.

"If you get scared just stay behind Krunx, me smash enemies with things."

Krux offers a dirty hand and mongoloid grin to the halfling.

Artemis just smiles and stares at the large man/orc. He has never seen such a large person, and just mumbles his thanks.
Moorcrys wrote:
Ahlwyn leans in to the halfling as he moves toward the door, whispering, "A word of advice... in this summer heat, stay upwind of our orcish companion."

And to Ahlwyn, Artemis replies, "Thank you for that information, kind sir. I shall keep my distance!"

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Sphere finishes securing the parties gear to the ass, takes the lead rope, and follows Krunx, staying behind him a little ways.

"No one touch my ass!! She is a little sensitive. Don't stare at her either!! It may want to spit at you. What a foul beast!" Sphere loudly dead-pans.

-George Washington

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

Au'rune takes his horse by the reigns, checks his bearings to confirm Krux is heading in the right direction, and once sure, contines the single file train behind Sphere.

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
"No one touch my ass!! She is a little sensitive. Don't stare at her either!! It may want to spit at you. What a foul beast!" Sphere loudly dead-pans.

Lord Thrasymachus, who hitherto has been strangely silent (whether because of a naturally taciturn demeanor or a painful hangover is uncertain to the others), emits a soft chuckle at the bard's jest.

Securing his 'travelling spellbook' (his original book stored in the Foxheart) in his backpack, and adjusting his fashionable hat to keep away the sun's merciless rays, the waxy magician assumes a surprisingly brisk pace at the rear of the party.

eibon

Post by eibon »

The day has dawned bright and clear, with a faint hint of stormclouds off in the distance. Everyone in the party is ready to take off, prepared and refreshed from an evening's rest.

As everyone is making final preparations Welem strides into Foxheart, clutching a rolled up parchment. Looking from face to face the majordomo casually tosses the parchment onto the nearest table.

"A map of the area," he says coldly, "Duralk wanted you to have this to help you in your task. Have a safe journey."

With this the wizard's right hand man departs, but not before casting a rather evil glance over his shoulder. After he passes from the dwelling the general mood brightens.

[If you have any last minute business, now is the time to take care of it.]

--Clark Ashton Smith

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Ahlwyn walks to the table and retrieves the parchment. He unrolls it carefully. Glancing about the map, he searches for bearings and landmarks.

[I assume as a druid I'm familiar with the immediate area at the very least.]

Moorcrys

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Artemis jumps up onto a chair in an attempt to see the map. He watches as Ahlwyn pours over the parchment, but says nothing.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Sphere looks on and studies the map intently.

-George Washington

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

Wiping some random beads of sweat from his pale forehead and rubbing his bloodshot eyes, the magician also looks at the map.

"What does the parchment show, lads?"

eibon

Post by eibon »

Your map looks a bit like this.

--Clark Ashton Smith