In the service of the sorcerer-pbp-OOC thread

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
eibon

In the service of the sorcerer-pbp-OOC thread

Post by eibon »

Here is the thread for all questions, finished characters and general out of character banter regarding this pbp.

These are a few general guidelines I like (and have edited somewhat) from a pbp run by an aquaintance on RPGNet. I have changed a few of the basics, however I like the main ideas and am pinching his set of rules.

Gameplay Guidelines:

1. CK Availability. I should for the most part be able to get online everyday, I have a PC and a laptop, which is a great backup/mobile computer.

2. Frequency is the heart of a PbP. While I agree, when we are getting started, twice a week might be giving everyone a feel of how others play. To this end, I have edited the following to suit our game.

2a. We will be starting out at two moves per week, the frequency might increase, but should not decrease after we gather speed.

If a player does not post for a couple of days without giving us some warning, Ill feel free to puppet the character until the player returns. Only basic, reasonable moves will be taken, nothing outrageous or reckless.

2b. Narrative Control. All players should feel some freedom both to invent setting details and to puppet the other characters in order move the story along. Nothing will bog us down more quickly than one guys saying, So Bob, shall we? and then waiting for Bob to post, Okay. Hows with you, Sally? And so on. Players should expect their characters to be manipulated to some extent for story purposes. If one players makes anothers character do something really wrong, we can do it all over. But lets be flexible on this.

2c. Crunchy Actions. The other roadblock to frequency are crunchy actions, combat being the prime offender. Im going to play some of this by ear, but there are basically two techniques that Ill be using: resolving multiple rounds myself and using the SIEGEngine for conflict-, rather than task-resolution. When we get into this kind of situation, Id ask that you post your general strategy rather than just individual actions. For example, if you go into a fight, dont just say, Bob will swing his sword at the thing (not that clever folks like you would make that dull post anyway. Instead say, Bob intends to feel out the things strength first. If it looks beatable, he will charge in, swinging madly. Otherwise, hell concentrate on protecting the non-coms and getting everyone out alive.

As above, expect a certain degree of puppeting on my part to keep things rolling. The more precise your strategy, the less likely I am to have your character do something wrong.

This is an edited version of a Talislanta pbp's rules, but as they are coherent and better than my basic rules, I hope we can use these to keep the game flowing smoothly.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

My final character:

Name: Krunx

Race: Half-Orc

Class: Fighter

Alignment: CN

Ht. 6'7" Wt: 235lbs

Religion: Any god of war, mercenaries or ale

Level: 1

Attributes: (* denotes prime attributes)

Str 18 (rolled 17 +1 racial) *

Dex 14

Con 16 (rolled 15 +1 racial) *

Int 10

Wis 12

Cha 7 (rolled 9 -2 racial)

HP: 12

AC: 18 (full chain suit +6, +1 Dex, +1 Med Steel Shield)

Weapon Specialization: Morningstar

Equipment:

Full Chain Suit

Med Steel Shield

War Hat (+2 Ac to head)

Morningstar

Throwing Axe x2

Dirk

Cestus

Armor and weapon oil

Backpack

Belt pouch large

50ft Silk rope

1 week rations

Waterskin

Flask of oil x2

Torches x2

Tinder box

Bedroll

Clothing:

Heavy Boots

Belt

Tunic

Cloak

25gp, 8cp

Appearence: Large a muscular, Krunx has many scarrs from his years in the fighting pits, his head is shaved, and he sports large black mutton chops. His skin is very dark with a greenish tint and he has deep grey eyes. There is a large branding scar on his neck from his days as a slave, he keeps this covered with a piece of cloth.

Background: Krunx was an unwanted child left over after a ill-fated orc raid on a fishing village. Sold into slavery by his mother, Krunx soon found a life as a pit fighter for a ruthless master. Escaping at the young age of 14, Krunx has made his way working as muscle to whoever would pay. His fee: A few coins and a keg of ale.

Personality: He has the capability to be kind at heart, but life has thrown him to the wolves and his bitterness shows. He only trusts those that pay him for his services (in coin or ale), and only respects the touch of cold steel. Honest and willing to work for almost any price, he can be seen as gullible, but his raw power has kept him alive - so far.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Ahlwyn Lleawathlyn
Elf Druid
Alignment: Neutral (good tendencies)

Strength 10

Dexterity* 12 (+1) = 13

Constitution 14 (-1) = 13

Wisdom* 16

Intelligence 13

Charisma 14
Hit Points: 8 (+1) = 9 or 6 (+1) = 7 if not maxing starting hit points
Armor Class: 16 (Cuir Bouille, Small Wooden Shield, Dexterty Bonus +1)
Weapons: Falchion, Composite Shortbow
Abilities

-----------
Bonus Languages: Can speak the druids secret language, elfish, fey, and the common tongue.
Nature Lore (Wisdom): Can identify local plants and animals accurately. Can identify plants and animals in an unfamiliar environment with a successful wisdom check. Can identify safe drinking water. Can find basic shelter and food for survival, or more with a successful wisdom check (with possible penalties for large groups). Ahlwyn gains a +2 bonus to Nature Lore checks due to high wisdom.
Enhanced Senses: Can see clearly enough to read a road sign or spot shield device up to two miles distant during the day and outside. +2 to all checks involving listening.
Twilight Vision: Can distinguish color and detail under starlight, moonlight, or torchlight for up to one mile while out of doors.
Move Silently (Dexterity): Can move silently in wilderness areas at up to one-half movement, full movement at -5 to check, running or charging at -20 to check. Ahlwyn gains a +1 bonus to his roll due to Dexterity.
Spell Resistance: +10 bonus to sleep and charm spells.
Spot Hidden Doors (Wisdom): Can spot secret, hidden, and concealed doorways by passing within 5 feet of them. Ahlwyn gains a +2 bonus to his roll due to high Wisdom, and a +4 total bonus when actively searching for such doorways.
Weapon Training: +1 bonus to hit with a composite shortbow.
Spells commonly memorized, 3-0, 2-1st:
Orisons: Detect neutrality, detect magic, first aid.
First Level: Entangle, goodberry.
Equipment: Cuir Bouille, Small Wooden Shield, (Sword) Falchion, Shortbow(Composite), Score Quiver with 20 arrows, Backpack, Chalk, Incense (stick), File (metal), 50' Rope (silk), Whistle, Waterskin. Wooden Holy Symbol.
Money: 101 gold
Description: Ahlwyn is a fair elf who hails from a substantial clan residing in an old and enchanted wood. He is ivory-skinned and fair-haired, with deep-hazel eyes flecked with gold. Ahlwyn possesses the typical sylvan beauty of his race combined with the dispassionate aloofness of one who has been chosen to serve as watchman and protector over the wooded realms of his people; a calling even the elves follow with stern purposefulness. The aspirant has been taught the language of the fey by his mentor, and he has been tutored to one day serve as a voice and ear for the particular needs of these creatures who survive within the wooded realms. Such grand responsibilities only show themselves to proven and experienced members of the old faith, and so Ahlwyn has been given leave by his teacher to quest and wander. Thus he finds himself with this current gathering, keeping in mind his true, eventual mission yet at present seeking to acquire knowledge and gain power. Through his adventuring and associations Ahlwyn hopes to be suitably prepared for the moment when the gods of his people reveal their plans to him and the forest calls him home.
Bird of Prey, Hawk [aquired via animal friendship] (Size: Small, Hp: 4, Move: 5(walk)/60(fly), AC: 14, Attacks with 2 talons for 1 hp damage, and a beak for 1d2 hps damage, Possesses Twilight Vision, Dusk Vision, Saves: P, Animal Intelligence.)

It understands the following tricks: Come, Defend, Fetch, Seek, Stay

Moorcrys

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

Au'rune Kha

Half-Elf Rogue

Level 1

Chaotic Neutral

Ht/Wt: 5'10" 160lbs

Str 9

Dex (PRIME) 18 +3

Con 9

Int 11

Wis (PRIME) 15 +1

Cha 11

Armor Class = 15 (10+2+3)

Hit Points (MAX) = 6

Bth: +0

Melee to hit = +0

Ranged to hit = +3

Background: Au'rune comes from the tribes of the [insert steppe plains of campaign.] Although his tribe is entirely human, he is the result of the union between woman and elf, although he has never met his Elven father. His birth was a shame to him and his mother. Despite that, Au'rune tried to be a horse warrior of the tribe; it was to no avail.

Once the tribe considered him old enough to survive on his own (around early to mid teens), Au'rune and his mother were finally exiled from their tribe -- their shame and burden now their's alone. According to their code of honor, they showed all the compassion and mercy that was required of them.

She took Au'rune to the sprawling city of [insert big nearby city]. There they learned other skills, more useful here than the horse riding of the plains. Unfortunately, she later became a victim of the streets. Au'rune has sworn something else for himself: something bigger.

Equipment:

Leather Armor

Scimitar

Short Sword

Small Pouch

Flint & Steel

Whetstone

Rogue's Tools

Belt

Soft Boots

Tunic

Trousers

Light Horse (Everything that follows is on the horse.)

Bit and Bridle

Harness

Saddle Blanket

Saddle

Backpack

Large Sack

Bedroll

Tent

Torches (5)

Flasks of Oil (2)

Rope, Hemp

Grappling Hook

Rations (week)

Waterskin

Javelins (5)

Money:

Gp: 2

Sp: 6

Cp: 5

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

Lord Thrasymachus Barr
Human Male Wizard 1st Level Neutral
Prime Attributes: Intelligence, Constitution, Charisma
Ability Scores:

STR: 11 0

INT: 18 +3 *

WIS: 12 0

DEX: 17 +2

CON: 13 +1 *

CHA: 15 +1 *
Hit Points: 5
Armour Class: 12
Spells Known:
0-Level: Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Prestidigitation
1st-Level: Comprehend Languages, Read Magic, Sleep
Description: Years of decadent living have conferred upon Thrasymachus a pale complexion and a seemingly soft physique. His dark blond hair is carefully trimmed, as is his goatee beard. Pale grey eyes (often bloodshot) betray a keen intelligence, and many rivals within the city have felt the sting of his caustic wit. He is normally dressed in rich azure clothes and, in inclement weather, a thick black robe.
Background: A lesser aristocrat from a large city, Thrasymachus is educated in the esoteric arts of spellcraft (especially divinations) and alchemy. He seeks to acquire additional lore, and this is his prime motivation for abandoning his decadent lifestyle. His motto is Knowledge is power!
Money: 113 g.p.
Equipment:

Clothes, cloak, leather gloves, fine hat, heavy boots, belt

Leather armour, darts (6), staff

Backpack, travelling spellbook, bandages (20), bedroll, ink, parchment (10 pieces), quill, soap

Small pouch

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I would like to stay a Bard, but instead of exhalt I would like to substitute Inspire per knight ability, if that is OK. If that is the case, this character is final! I feel it is more in line with my character.

Sphere Rhombus the Bard

Human Nobleman

Level 1

Lawful Neutral

Ht/Wt: 61 190

Str 13 +1

Dex (PRIME) 13 +1

Con 13 +1

Int (PRIME) 9

Wis 8 -1

Cha (PRIME) 18 +3

Armor Class = 15 (10+4+1)

Hit Points (MAX) = 11

Bth: +0

Melee to hit = +1

Ranged to hit = +1

Inspire (per knights ability) (1/day)*lvl, +3 to hit, 12 creatures. CHA

Legend Lore +4 CHA

Decipher Script +1 INT

Speak & Read: Common INT

Equipment

Soft Boots, Belt, Cloak, Leather Gloves, Signet Ring, Shirt, Trousers, Small Pouch (85sp) 7.5lbs 2enc worn

~ Backpack, Bedroll, Waterskin, Large Sack (36sp) 12lbs 10enc carried

^ Flint & Steel, 3 Candles , 3 Chalk, Parchment (5), Quill, Razor (41.6sp)

* Chain mail Shirt (1000sp) 25lbs 3enc worn

GOLD = 103.74pcs

Notes

Background: Displaced Noblemens son. Family murdered, Sphere got away when young, brought in/rescued by travelling acting troupe. Left troupe ~3 months ago to travel & research family heritage, try to find out what happened.

-George Washington

eibon

Post by eibon »

The substitution is fine with me and although I am not a fan of the new DnD, the bard conversion for Castles & Crusades would be fine as well.

It looks like you have all finalized your characters and the ball is in my court.

--Clark Ashton Smith

eibon

Post by eibon »

We will be kicking off this weekend into the game if everyone is ready (and I assume you are and everyone is waiting for me to finish up).

I am putting the finishing touches on some of the NPCs, getting a few graphics for the website to accompany the game and finishing the alchemy and druid add-ons.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Sounds cool, I'm ready.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Ready.

-George Washington

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Greetings Eibon. Can you possibly handle another player? If so, I'd be interested in joining the game. I'm willing to play any race/class to fill out the party. If I'm one too many, no problem at all.

Regards,

Rhu.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Where do we roll dice and post or email them?

-George Washington

eibon

Post by eibon »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
Where do we roll dice and post or email them?

When you make a roll you can post the results with your character in brackets "[]", this will work fine. Sorry, I forgot to specify this. All of my rolls will be made by my quite impartial girlfriend.

--Clark Ashton Smith

eibon

Post by eibon »

Rhuvein wrote:
Greetings Eibon. Can you possibly handle another player? If so, I'd be interested in joining the game. I'm willing to play any race/class to fill out the party. If I'm one too many, no problem at all.

Regards,

Rhu.

For now, I am going to see how well five goes. I have run up to seven on ENWorld before, but I am going to try to ditch the railroad system once we get up and running and keep track of everyone.

One of my reasons for asking for this section is to also encourage others to run online C&C games or inquire about interest in playing. I have seen threads, especially on RPGNet, where interest in playing is generated and someone decides to run a game.

Thank you for your interest, Rhuvein, and I will keep you in mind if I get to take on more players.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

eibon wrote:
Thank you for your interest, Rhuvein, and I will keep you in mind if I get to take on more players.

You're welcome. Good luck with the game!

eibon

Post by eibon »

I do appreciate all of the support and interest that the pbp has garnered so far, I hope it lives up to the expectations. 13

--Clark Ashton Smith

eibon

Post by eibon »

I hope to keep the game relaxed and no pressure. To this end, as I mentioned before, we will be looking at two posts a week and I am going to let everyone respond before I continue each time as I don't want to leave anyone out.

--Clark Ashton Smith

eibon

Post by eibon »

Right now we are in a holding pattern for Akrasia, I hope he posts soon as I am eager to get this going.

--Clark Ashton Smith

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

When you mentioned twice a week, I unofficialy thought in my mind that I'd post by Wednesdays and Sundays. Perhaps we should have an official deadline, as well as some guidelines in case we don't. In the pbp games I've done, the rule is the game simply continues with the character taking no action. This is not a punishment: some players rather do nothing when there is no in-your-face conflict. Others take the oppurtunity to create one. It's just a matter of preferance.

eibon

Post by eibon »

BeZurKur wrote:
When you mentioned twice a week, I unofficialy thought in my mind that I'd post by Wednesdays and Sundays. Perhaps we should have an official deadline, as well as some guidelines in case we don't. In the pbp games I've done, the rule is the game simply continues with the character taking no action. This is not a punishment: some players rather do nothing when there is no in-your-face conflict. Others take the oppurtunity to create one. It's just a matter of preferance.

You bring up a good point. I will wait until tomorrow for Akrasia to make an initial move and I will post the next move tomorrow. From then on Sunday (including this coming Sunday) and Wednesday sounds good to me. I should have set the days in stone but I wanted it to be fairly loose to begin with. I wanted everyone to get in an initial comment before going on.

--Clark Ashton Smith

eibon

Post by eibon »

I am on West Coast time here, but will be posting the next move later on tonight and going from there. I have the wizard and druid add-ons and will be sending posting them tonight as well.

--Clark Ashton Smith

eibon

Post by eibon »

Please read the revised rules in the first post of this thread. I hope it is a change we can all agree with.

--Clark Ashton Smith

BeZurKur
Hlobane Orc

Post by BeZurKur »

Cool. I particularly like 2c, Crunchy Actions. It reminds me of Everway where they had three aspects of task resolution: Fate, Fortune, and Drama. Fate is what you can determine by attributes, Fortune is a draw of their tarot-like deck, and Drama is the narrative used. All three work together to obtain a result.

Now, my question is: do we post our crunchy actions in IC or OOC and wait for your outcome in IC?

Edit: I might have Fate and Fortune reversed, but you get the idea.

eibon

Post by eibon »

You can feel free to post your actions/intentions in character to keep the action contained in one thread. I think we can all work within the IC thread just fine.

--Clark Ashton Smith

grrrowler39

Post by grrrowler39 »

I will be interested to follow this campaign. If you find the need for another PC, let me know. It looks like you could use a Cleric.

Master of Animals

eibon

Post by eibon »

grrrowler39 wrote:
I will be interested to follow this campaign. If you find the need for another PC, let me know. It looks like you could use a Cleric.

I have messaged the two others before you who wished to play and yes, there is need of a cleric. If nobody replies in three moves, you are in.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

eibon wrote:
I have messaged the two others before you who wished to play and yes, there is need of a cleric.

Thanks, I have returned the PM and will be happy to join the game. 8)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Artemis Underpoole
Male halfling cleric
Lawful good

Eyes: Green

Hair: Blonde

Height: 4'

Weight: 85lbs

STR 14 (+1/-1 = 0)

DEX 11 (+1 racial)

CON 14 (+1/+1)

INT 13 (+1)

WIS 17 prime (+2)

CHA 16 prime (+2/+2)
AC 17 (+5+1+1)
HPs 8

Movement 20ft

Armor - coat of plates

Shield - small steel

Helm - armet
Weapons:

Heavy flail 1D10

Dagger 1D4 (10ft)

Light hammer 1D4 (20ft)
Spells:

0 Detect magic

0 First aid bandages

0 Light object

1 Cure light wounds

2 spiritual weapon

Member of Lothian Clerics order

Holy symbol - sceptre
Deities:

Ehlona

Pholtus

Zagyg

Celestian

Corthain

Wenefar

Daledon
Racial traits & abilities:

Hide

move silently

dusk vision

resistant

fearless
Class abilities:

Spell casting

Turn undead
Equipment:

backpack

bedroll/blanket

holy water (x3)

waterskin

wineskin

rations (2 wks)

garlic

bandages (x10 = 20 wounds)

cloak/boots

trousers/tunic

sewing kit

flask (of Fireamber)

pipe/tobacco

tinder box

torches

walrus

winter clothes

small steel mirror

signet ring
Languages:

halfling

common

dwarven

gnome

elvish

sylvan

goblinoid

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Hehe, Rhuv with another halfling. Is he a cousin of Riggolo's?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Hehe, Rhuv with another halfling. Is he a cousin of Riggolo's?

Yes, he is. I do the same with my gnome characters, who generally share the same clan name. I almost always play demi-humans. They just seem so much more fun than humans! 14