A Note from Troll Lord Games

Threads honoring gaming pioneers that have molded our hobby, and have started their own games in a better place.
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

A Note from Troll Lord Games

Post by Troll Lord »

Its late here in Little Rock. About 130 in the a.m. We are flying up to Lake Geneva in the morning.

We tried to run some AD&D tonight. I even broke out the old dice circa 1977. We set out a chair for the GMDM and started to game. It didn't last long and we spent the evening regaling each other with stories of Gary, our beginnings and the like. It was all great fun.

But I want to take a moment, before I sign off for a bit, to thank everyone of the thousands of visitors to the boards and site. Gary would take great comfort in this, as he always did, knowing what a positive force the game had on people's lives. You all have been so very generous and kind.

Thank you.

I shall do my best to let the Gygax's know of the outpouring of support and sympathy, though truthfully I think they have visited the boards and seen for themselves.

You are a community I am proud to be a member.

I am trying to respond to every one who emailed me personally, but am not going to manage it before I leave. I apologize for this. We will attempt to get the orders that have come in out in a timely fashion, but please forgive us if we are a week or so in getting them out.

Kindest Regards,

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Made an announcement out of this so it doesn't drift.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Re: A Note from Troll Lord Games

Post by Deogolf »

Troll Lord wrote:
Its late here in Little Rock. About 130 in the a.m. We are flying up to Lake Geneva in the morning.

We tried to run some AD&D tonight. I even broke out the old dice circa 1977. We set out a chair for the GMDM and started to game. It didn't last long and we spent the evening regaling each other with stories of Gary, our beginnings and the like. It was all great fun.

But I want to take a moment, before I sign off for a bit, to thank everyone of the thousands of visitors to the boards and site. Gary would take great comfort in this, as he always did, knowing what a positive force the game had on people's lives. You all have been so very generous and kind.

Thank you.

I shall do my best to let the Gygax's know of the outpouring of support and sympathy, though truthfully I think they have visited the boards and seen for themselves.

You are a community I am proud to be a member.

I am trying to respond to every one who emailed me personally, but am not going to manage it before I leave. I apologize for this. We will attempt to get the orders that have come in out in a timely fashion, but please forgive us if we are a week or so in getting them out.

Kindest Regards,

Steve

Sounds alot like how we started a lot of our Thursday nite sessions with Gary. Most times, we spent the first 1/2 hr. to hr. listening to his stories of his youth. One of the best ones was the one where one of his friends dressed up like a werewolf and jumped out to scare people. If I remember correctly, he ended up ripping his new pants on a fence, laughing the whole way.

I was listening to an MA session that we recorded (thanks Jeff!) from a couple of years ago where Gary starts singing "Davey Crockett" - funny, funny stuff. Sooo many memories...

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

We didn't play. That was all right. We needed to laugh. Life and business having been burying our games lately and other stresses wearing all of us thin.

I had been wrestling simply with the loss of a good friend and someone I considered dear to me. The leaving of someone whose company and presence I so thoughouly enjoyed that trips to Lake Geneva to see Gary and family were one of the highlights of my year.

Only when Mac called and wanted to do a game of 1AD&D did I realize that Gary had such a profound influence on me through the game he created. A veritible flood of childhood, teenage and adult memories rolled over me in a moment's time. I have been playing his game since 1976.

For 32 years Gary has impacted me through his game.

I really had not even thought of that yet.

I have my games, my experience and my memories. Thos can't be taken from me.

Now, its just Gary I will miss.

Davis Chenault

Jungger

Post by Jungger »

I think you are all very fortunate to have known Gary on such a personal level.

Gary's presence is what drew me to C&C but the fact that it is a quality game in every respec is what keeps me here - with or without Gary.

I am happy I found this place before his death.

Again, you guys are lucky!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

The one memory that keeps popping into my head is one of my visits to LGGC.

Walking up to the porch of his house and being greeting by Gary with "OH no, Not Peter, anything but Peter!" still brings a smile to my face. Always a great kidder.

Over the last few years, Gary and I gave each other curry about a wide variety of subjects, but there was genuine good humor underneath.

Thats what I'll miss, methinks. The humanity and humor of the man.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

The twinkle, in the corner of his left eye, combined with the tight wry grin that always said, "I have a secret and wouldn't you love to know it."

Jungger

Post by Jungger »

Lucky S.O.B.'s!

ALL THE TROLL LORDS ARE S.O.B.'S!!!

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I always got a kick out of his "heh-heh-heh" when you nailed you with a downright awful pun! And he had alot them!

Dirgesinger

Post by Dirgesinger »

Deogolf wrote:
I was listening to an MA session that we recorded (thanks Jeff!) from a couple of years ago where Gary starts singing "Davey Crockett" - funny, funny stuff. Sooo many memories...

i was wondering, is it possible for any recorded sessions to be made available on the forums? i never met the man, let alone seen him play but it would be nice to listen to him play

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

cleaverthepit wrote:
We didn't play. That was all right. We needed to laugh. Life and business having been burying our games lately and other stresses wearing all of us thin.

I had been wrestling simply with the loss of a good friend and someone I considered dear to me. The leaving of someone whose company and presence I so thoughouly enjoyed that trips to Lake Geneva to see Gary and family were one of the highlights of my year.

Only when Mac called and wanted to do a game of 1AD&D did I realize that Gary had such a profound influence on me through the game he created. A veritible flood of childhood, teenage and adult memories rolled over me in a moment's time. I have been playing his game since 1976.

For 32 years Gary has impacted me through his game.

I really had not even thought of that yet.

I have my games, my experience and my memories. Thos can't be taken from me.

Now, its just Gary I will miss.

Davis Chenault

Gary was a great guy. On a side note: McBain was the one who wanted to tear your laptop into little pieces the other day, Davis, NOT ME!!!!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Quote:
McBain was the one who wanted to tear your laptop into little pieces the other day

talk about a twinkle in the eye

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Good to hear from you Davis, even if it isn't the best of circumstances.

Some of us who haven't met you in person think you are Steve's evil transporter accident twin.

John Adams

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:
Good to hear from you Davis, even if it isn't the best of circumstances.

Some of us who haven't met you in person think you are Steve's evil transporter accident twin.

Well...he is!

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

gideon_thorne wrote:
The one memory that keeps popping into my head is one of my visits to LGGC.

Walking up to the porch of his house and being greeting by Gary with "OH no, Not Peter, anything but Peter!" still brings a smile to my face. Always a great kidder.

Over the last few years, Gary and I gave each other curry about a wide variety of subjects, but there was genuine good humor underneath.

Thats what I'll miss, methinks. The humanity and humor of the man.

I remember the first time I met Gary. It was at his house at one of his porch parties a few years ago. It was evening and there were a lot of folks gathered there , many of whom I would come to be friends with myself. My wife and I walked up to his porch and Gary got up from his rocker and walked over to me, holding his hand out, and said, "Hi, I'm Gary Gygax!"

I replied, "Of course you're Gary Gygax!"

We talked about D&D, Jack Vance, Roman aqueducts, Robert E. Howard, beer, Yggsburgh, chess, and other things!
--Jeff T.

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

Davis is about one of the funniest people I've ever stolen a Guiness from.
--Jeff T.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Dirgesinger wrote:
i was wondering, is it possible for any recorded sessions to be made available on the forums? i never met the man, let alone seen him play but it would be nice to listen to him play

Hope this fits the bill! It was recorded from another fella in our group that goes by the name of "Otto". http://media.putfile.com/Gary-et-al-play-Dungeon

Dirgesinger

Post by Dirgesinger »

Deogolf wrote:
Hope this fits the bill! It was recorded from another fella in our group that goes by the name of "Jeff". http://media.putfile.com/Gary-et-al-play-Dungeon

this is great!!! thanks!!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Ghul wrote:
Davis is about one of the funniest people I've ever stolen a Guiness from.
--Jeff T.

Hah! Liar! You stole SEVERAL from him
...or was that McBain again??? I think McBain has a donkey-punching coming from Davis.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Ghul

Guinness!

Post by Ghul »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Hah! Liar! You stole SEVERAL from him
...or was that McBain again??? I think McBain has a donkey-punching coming from Davis.

It was at beer night, hosted by Joe Goodman. I'd already used my voucher and some non-beer drinker's voucher as well. I'm talking to Davis and he asks me if I want a beer. "Sure, Guinness," says I. So he orders 2.

The girl walks away and Davis says, "I'm gonna go grab a smoke -- I'll be right back!" The girl comes back and Steve who was engaged in conversation with some other people (he was talking shop about the RPG industry or something boring), pays the girl for Davis. The 2 Guinness were placed before me at my little table in the dark corner. I sucked mine down while chatting with Case and a few others. No Davis.

10 minutes later. Still no Davis. I'm looking at his Guinness, and I'm getting thirsty . . . really thirsty. I mean, I was rightly parched! What else was I supposed to do? Davis comes stumbling back a little while later. He says, "Hey, where's my beer?"

I said, "You already drank it, dude!"

"Oh, yeah," he says. "You need a beer?" has asks.

"Sure," I say. "Guinness!" And so another Guinness was had.

Little while later some girl shows me her beer voucher as she makes her move to leave the place. I don't know how or why she identified me as a beer drinker, but she hands me her voucher and says, "You want this?"

"Sure!" sez I. "Guinness!" I was a champion that night.

Valerian

Post by Valerian »

Ghul you are a funny bastard! I will buy you a guiness at LGGC IV just for making me laugh .

Also thanks for the audio John it was great hearing Garys voice again.

To crush the PC's

See their character sheets piled before you

And to hear the lamentations of the players

-Conan the dungeonmaster

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

Well, I wouldn't want to insult your honor by turning down that pint! It would be very disrespectful of me to do so.

Sticky Lizard

Post by Sticky Lizard »

So many of these sorts of stories have happened simply because of Gary. I never knew him, but his work has made the same types of stories appear in my own life.

In time, you will all see that Sess'Innek is the one, true and most powerful deity!