Thursday game

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Titania is doing a great job, no doubt about that. As I know all of our players agree.

You should have seen the games I DM'ed as a young lad. Fights with Asmodeus for no reason? Oh, yes!

But we do have to remember in the Thursday games, some know the rules/some don't, some can hear what you said in skype/some missed it, and so on.

It is but a crude semblance, my lord!
I find that a) Hattori seems to know things that have not happened yet, so clearly his actions must be having some effect on our game and b) Treebore keeps saying: "oh yeah, he did that because he was the brother of so and so" but the rest of us do not know what the relations are, so clearly he is privy to some knowledge of the game world.

Neither of these are a Titania problem, but like Treebore said, trying to pull of an information/subtle type game in our present set up is tough enough. Having different groups on different tracks of both time and campaign-relevant-information is doubly tricky

Having said that, I thought last session was quite good. It moved well, had some combat. Gave the characters room to think their way around problems (e.g. earthquake on ninja house). Titania is very good at portraying different characters with different motivations

It was actually last week's session where I had a bit of a "out of the loop" feeling, rather than this week (especially the talk about the ninja attack on the murdered magistrate). But, it is something to watch for.

I think a summary of "What we Know", posted here rather than in the Crusades section, would help. What facts have we uncovered, what mysteries are still to be revealed. It is a bit unrealistic to post what Hattori has learned about Mae but realism be damned, we need the 411!

Good stuff Titania. You've got us thinking.

P.S.- Nobunaga kicked tainted butt last session!

P.P.S- what changes should I make to move my attack from 9k6+9 to 18k14 +100? Or how would I get another attack per round, is that by level? Are we now rank 3?

Looking forward to next session, so I can really show that Scorpion what a Murimoto can do!

P.P.P.S- Death to ninjas!

Homer Simpson

daddystabz
Red Cap

Post by daddystabz »

My scorpion is especially built to kill heavily armored opponents. Bring it on!

As I have said earlier, the 1-on-1s I have been doing now are set in Dragon's Hollow and should not really effect Thursday stuff.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

daddystabz wrote:
My scorpion is especially built to kill heavily armored opponents. Bring it on!

No, I'm not going to demonstrate my proficiency _on_ you Hattori, I am going to demonstrate my proficiency _to_ you.
Having said that, my defenses do not come from armour (primarily) they come from

Thunder and Lightning:

What mere mortal is stronger than thunder? What lowly samurai is faster than lightning?

Homer Simpson

daddystabz
Red Cap

Post by daddystabz »

Like I said, bring it on!

Ninja > Aramis

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

thnx guys, I too thought that it was a bit tricky last session, and I am glad that you guys enjoyed it dispite everything. Aramis has a good idea for a 411, so I will indeed give you guys a list of things you know.
Section 1

The murder of former magistrate Ashidaka Noritoki

#1 You have his journal and it details illegal activities he undertook, as well as investigations and happenstances that occured in his time in office. So you can ask me "was there anyhting in his book about 'x'?" and I will tell you, I may even just put his journal in the crusades section.

#2 You know how and where he died. He was walking out of the horse of Foreign Stories (a geisha house) and got into his coach. Meanwhile his closest friend, a ronin shugenja named True Word, tended to the horses. Once Noritoki was in the coach, a single man walked up to True Word, who seemed to recognize the man. Then the man threw a substance into the shugnja's eyes, this made it to where he was unable to read his scrolls. Then more men came out of the shadows and quickly cut down True Word. Noritoki, who had been resting in the coach, woke up and stared to get out of the carriage, however, the group of men pierced the carriage in such a way to pin him in, making escape impossible. They then lit fire to the coach, which burned quickly and well, in fact some say that it was either sabotaged before hand or that the group had a shugenja, it burned so well. After Noritioki was dead the group of men quickly fled the scene.

#3 You know that Magda was witness to part of the murder, as well as the Mistress of Noritoki, you also owe her travel papers for her to travel through Rokugan in exchange for her giving you the Journal of Ashidaka Noritoki.

#4 You were going to question Magda, Eyebrows, and Jewel about the murder, relations, and general magistrate stuff like that.
Section 2

The Bandit Fade

#1 He has not struck since you have taken office so you have not had first hand experience with him yet.

#2 Noritoki wrote in his Journal about him, one of the most interesting things he wrote about him was how he thought that Fade could not be a peasant bandit, because he was much to clever. He speculated that Fade was either a ronin or a samurai that had not been found out yet.

#3 You guys have not really done much to deal with this dude yet.
Section 3

Mae

#1 She is the former magistrate to Ryoko Owari

#2 She apparently has many enemies

#3 She killed a ninja that had tried to assassinate her, there are conflicting stories as to how, Version 1 of the story is that she had him tortured for 10 days before she killed him, and he apparently departed with all sorts of juicy secrets. Verison 2; he died in 1 day without being tortured due to his wounds. Version 3; He died right away and was not tortured or even bandaged.

#4 She was recently the victim of an Oni attack, the source of which you guys have dealt with.

#5 She is loaded.

#6 She has always been polite to you and even helpful, but when she herself is questioned she always sticks to her version of the story even when right next to a person who directly contradicts her. She is unwilling to give up parts of her history taht you ask about, the only person who even knows a little about her past is Hattori (who you guys think she has had intimate relations with).

#7 She was recently the target of another ninja attack/intrusion where Hattori was staying at her house and awoke to find her already fended the ninja off. He then stayed awake all night and watched over her.

#8 She is full of contridictions, on one hand she seems the perfect capable magistrate, on the other hand she is being removed from her station because of her innability to catch the opium dealers.

One on hand she is completely forthecoming with information on others, but when it comes to anything she has dealt with personally, she can be rather irritating.

She looks delicate and beautiful, but she knows how to wield a sword and withstood a magical assualt you are sure would have killed many a different person.

She dresses like an emerald magistrate, but wears no mons nor has any clan decorations in her home.

She has red hair, but looks as though she is a rokugani and not a gaijin.

She claims to not like the criminal underworld, but is friendly with all sorts of questionable characters.

She carries a Katana and Wakizashi, but does not have a family name. She has only introduced herself as Mae Shyr.
Section 4

The 'Ninja'

#1 you have most of them in custody

#2 you believe you have the leader in custody, a woman by the name of Kimi, she used to be the sister to the captain of the Thunder Guard Shosuro Jocho, she was samurai but when you guys told Jocho your information agaisnt her he immediatly disowned her and declared her lower than ronin, giving you guys quite a show in doing so.

#3 Yoji is currently employing the doctor.
Section 5

general knowledge about Ryoko Owari

Subject 1: Jocho

He was to die when his mother was found guilty of illegal opium trading, but one of the people who was part of the investigations team decided that he would be of more use alive tan dead. So she went to the Emerald Champion and asked him whether she could spare his life or not. The Champion said that his head said no but his gut said yes, so he would allow him to live if one of the group would give him their honor to hold. She agreed and Jocho's life was spared. The group was the same group that went into the City of the Lost and burned it down 2 years ago. Their reason for investigating Ryoko Owari was that when they came back, they were awarded family lands of their choice. The Scorpion of the group chose Ryoko Owari and had been having issues with the crime in the city. his name is Me'rin Mizaki, his group comprised of Tora Ana a previous Hiruma scout who is currently developing her own dojo and is wife to the Emperess's son Tora Akira. Que Tien a former Murimoto Bushi who has taken residence along Rokugan's new border beyond the Dragon lands. And, last but not least Ichu Me'rilyn, former Unicorn shugenja and a pronounced shugenja of Rokugan, she was the one that saved jocho by giving him her unquestioned honor to lean on. (If you are interested in knowing more about these characters let me know)

subject #2

The gangs

There are many gangs in Ryoko Owari, the most promanent of whom are the Firemen, they sometimes have gang wars out in the street but luckily most damage has been prevented.

subject #3

A recovering city

The city has just been vacated by the emerald legion and the addicts are once again trying to get the illegal trade open again, however, there is no trade laft and they cannot get their fix, so the city is currently infested with moody, twitchy, and just downright frightening Samurai. there are bound to be some outbreaks of anwarranted violence, and you best be ready.

taht is all I can think of now, let me know any questions you have or any writeups on whom you want me to do.

Titania

"I was just going to look! With fire...and lightning...and reanimated chipmunks....and raccoons... on fire."-Richard

daddystabz
Red Cap

Post by daddystabz »

TY for that write-up. VERY helpful indeed.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Wow! Thanks Titania. That's exactly what we needed

I just have one question: Who are these magistrates you speak of?

Homer Simpson

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Good gravy!

Good info, too. Very well done, R!

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

See you guys tommorow, and hopefully I will get the summary up before the game XD .

Titania

"I was just going to look! With fire...and lightning...and reanimated chipmunks....and raccoons... on fire."-Richard

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I finally got OpenRPG to run on my Mac here at work. This makes me extremely happy, since it means that I can theoretically get it to work on my iBook at home, and I won't be tied to my computer desk all night. Now I just need to program in some of Andre's fancy macros.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Re: 411

Post by Aramis »

Titania Lefey wrote:
there are bound to be some outbreaks of unwarranted violence

Yes, there most certainly will be.

Nobunaga time!

Homer Simpson

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Good session last night Titania. That "What We Know" really helped. Really helped me anyways. You might want to update it each week as we solve more mysteries. In this case: Kimi interrogation, Eyebrows/funeral investigation, CSI hair/Mae interrogation, spak man's excellent weapons barge idea, and so on

We all came out of it pretty much intact. Except for the Scorpion. Who would have thought that darned housecat would be so agressive? Oh well, looks like we need a new ninja

some see the glass half empty...
(just kidding daddystabz. BTW- could you outline for me what systems HP technologies has in place to allow me to restore my data? In a woman's voice)

Homer Simpson

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Burn them, jaybird. Hear them laughing? They're laughing at you. Burn them all.

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

... I agree jaybird... except im not luaghing at you.... so perhaps partners in crime?

I might do the what you know update every week too.... it is a good Idea and it deffinatly helped you guys last thursday. I noticed how some of you refenced it... good job on that by the way.

I should have the HUGE summary done by monday, pending more yard work and such things... (what happened last week)

good job everyone.

Titania

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

daddystaz...

you need to sign in to skype

Titania

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

daddystaz...

you need to sign in to skype

Titania

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Just a heads-up that I may have to miss this week. I've got an art deadline that needs to be put to bed by the weekend. If I could paint and skype at the same time, we'd be in business, but I'm something of a 1-tracker.

I'll know for sure as it gets closer. Depends on what kind of progress I make in the next 2 days.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

jaybird216 wrote:
Just a heads-up that I may have to miss this week. I've got an art deadline that needs to be put to bed by the weekend. If I could paint and skype at the same time, we'd be in business, but I'm something of a 1-tracker.

I'll know for sure as it gets closer. Depends on what kind of progress I make in the next 2 days.

In other words, GET HOT!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

No keeding!

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Sketch has been approved! Tonight will be inks and preliminary color. I'll update as it progresses, but there's still hope!

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Help us Hiruma-san, you are our only hope

Looking forward to it Titania.

Other than the bandit leader Fade, and the extermination of the Scorpion, Unicorn and quite possibly Crab clans, is there anything else we need to look into next week?

Homer Simpson

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

lol, yes solving the murder of Ashidaka Noritoki. you guys always forget him... BUT!!! remember, if there is someone out there willing to kill him (and suceeded) then there is someone out there willing to kill you (and succeed).

Titania

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Oushi is too crabby to die (no pun intended). He'd just have a fit of narcolepsy and the assassins would mistake him for dead. Then he'd spring back to consciousness and either bore them to death with stories of "Back in my day..." or confuse them by asking which one is the best cook...

spak_man
Red Cap

Post by spak_man »

Unfortunately I wont be able to make it to the game tonight. I made plans for me and the Missus for the 14th and only realized this morning that valentines day falls on game night. And I've been dropping hints to her about it all week, I don;t think it would go over well if I said to her "Hey, remember that special surprise I've been telling you about all week.. well scratch that Im playing L5R tonight!"

So Ill see you all next week

-Andre

"thats the one where you explode. You sure you wanna do that?" -Titania

"It has a Rate of fire bonus of ... Ouch!" - JarredMcgee
QUOTES FROM GMS
"A DM is like a duck." -Aramis
"thats the one where you explode. You sure you wanna do that?" -Titania
"It has a Rate of fire bonus of ... Ouch!" - JarredMcgee

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

spak_man wrote:
Unfortunately I wont be able to make it to the game tonight. I made plans for me and the Missus for the 14th and only realized this morning that valentines day falls on game night. And I've been dropping hints to her about it all week, I don;t think it would go over well if I said to her "Hey, remember that special surprise I've been telling you about all week.. well scratch that Im playing L5R tonight!"

-Andre

Whimp! Coward!
Have a good time!

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

spak_man wrote:

-Andre

Or:

"Hey, remember that special surprise I've been telling you about all week.. well the surprise is we are celebrating Valentine's day on Friday. Surprise!!"

..."Wow, I can tell from your expression you are really surprised honey!"

..."Put the hammer down, my sweet"

Homer Simpson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

"Honey, the special surprise is that I am going to teach you how to play RPG's, so we can always have "special bonding" time every week!"

" Where did that knife come from? Honey, I never knew you could use a butterfly knife so well! URGH! GAH!"

THUNK!

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

lol,

I understand, I was expecting some poeple (if not all) to cancel due to it being valentines day. I thought of this 2 days ago so I am fully prepared to cancel the game if any of you guys are wise enough to spend valentines day with you wives or GF (if they are particularly blood thirsty)

of course, you could always finish playing in my campaign and then drop off the face of the forums for X many months before someone tells us of your demise....

Titania

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

The more I think on it, the more I think it would be wise to cancel too. It's indirectly Valentine's Day related - I'm heading out of town to see my sweetie this weekend, and I don't think she wants to share me with Goblinoid Games. Thus, I need to finish my commission before I head out after work tomorrow.

Post-nuclear apocalypse hath no fury like a woman scorned, or something.

If by some miracle I finish early, I can start up my Skype and drag my tail into the game. But if I tried to paint and play at the same time, I'd wind up doing a disservice to both.

Don't hate Hiruma.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, with two cancelling I would rather just not do it. A big fight scene or two are coming up and I would rather face them with all Katana's present.