I would like everyone to contribute to this thread

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

I would include an example, but right now I'm busy writing up the intro and background for Killer Hobgoblin Cave. It's waay cool. I'll playtest it tonight...then write the full mod over the next week or so. Going camping at Devils Lake tomorrow so I'll be gone for the next few days (that place is always great for mod-writing inspiration).

Treebore...have you considered submitting the final result for use in a Crusader issue?

Brian Miller

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Pie is gooder.

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Omote wrote:
Pie is gooder.

..............................................Omote

FPQ

Okay, I'm gonna be ornery here.

Pie=sexual slang term.

Pie=C&C

so C&C is as good as sex.
Anonymous

"No way I'm puting my name on this one"

vestinious

Post by vestinious »

I haven't had the time to read much of the 1st edition and am waiting for my 2nd edition to arrive.

So as im not up with the game mechs I will say that after gaming now for 21 years I wanted nothing more than to go back in time and play like I used to.

Peoples reveiws and comments about C&C were saying just that oldschool, so I have gone and brought the game to see if it has the correct feel about it.

Also In all of my gaming years it comes down to ease of use and fun, thats AD&D for me so to have it brought back in a way is just perfect.

And as for fun the best setting I have ever played is Greyhawk not much more to add to that one.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Why C&C? Fewer rules allow for more variety in game play by encouraging players to not limit themselves to what is in the rule book. The lack of rules make the game more fun for the referee by allowing the referee to do more than just be an "entertainer". Far less preparation time is needed to play a game, and the things that tend to slow down other games do not slow down Castles & Crusades.

Why C&C? While Castles & Crusades focuses on the archetypes, it does not limit the archetypes to only using class abilities. In Castles & Crusades, a character can attempt to do just about anything, even if it isn't a class ability. The game's central mechanic allows for such mixing and matching.

Why C&C? You can add anything to the game system you desire and will not "break" the game by doing so. If you want to add certain feats and skills to your game, you can. Many of our referees have done so, and their games are humming along just fine. It's always easier to add things to a system than it is to remove them.

Why C&C? Because if you don't like a particular rule in the book, you can replace it with something more in tune with your tastes, and your game will not suffer for it. The rules are not graven on stone tablets, but a mutable, organic structure, easily modified as desired.

Why C&C? It's a better bargain. It costs less to buy, and any of the gaming material owned prior to Castles & Crusades can be used with a minimum of conversion. Even d20 material can be used with Castles & Crusades.

sieg

Post by sieg »

...and finally, if you don't like C&C you're a poo-poo head!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Just bumping this so the "post only at work" members are more likely to spot this.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Just bumping this so the "post only at work" members are more likely to spot this.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

I play C&C because it brings back all the good times and fun of AD&D with out the mess, muss and fuss, of 3.X

ken

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Castles & Crusades is:
* Fast, easy & right out of the box/book gaming.
* Powerful, yet easy to use SIEGE engine gaming mechanic to handle in game character situations and class or non-class abilities.
* Open, adaptable & modular. Other worlds, modules, rules can be re-worked, converted or dropped in with very little or no work.

As a Castle Keeper/Dungeon Master, I am free to develop the creative and fun aspect of D&D without being bogged down with too many rules and stats!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

scadgrad

Post by scadgrad »

late to the party, but here's my 2 coppers...

Why C&C? I've argued and debated passionately for going on 2 years now, but here's why my group switched. The game is easier for the DM and is more of a narrative-based game rather than the crunch, grid, and uber builds of tetsnbn. C&C is elegant and feels much more like AD&D, or at least the game that I played prior to the arrival of d20.

Now, I realize that "no one was buying and playing AD&D 2nd ed" before Monte and the happy crew at WotC came along and "saved Dungeons & Dragons," but at that time I had 2 groups of 5 and 7 players. Since '78, I've always had a group or two and we enjoyed both earlier versions of D&D just fine(though I greatly prefer 1st ed).

The things is, at some point you have to admit that 3.X doesn't have the same feel as the game you played in the 70s, 80s, or 90s. It just doesn't. That's not to say that there are no improvements, but the beauty of C&C is that it embraces these upgrades while maintaining backward compatibility w/ earlier editions. I feel like I'm playing AD&D when I play C&C. It just does a much better job of capturing that feel than tetsnbn (3.x).

all the best,

scadgrad

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Have to say I totally agree with the sentiments scadgrad.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

sieg wrote:
...and finally, if you don't like C&C you're a poo-poo head!

And from the Star Wars, Episode III: A Lost Hope corner (awesome parody by the way)...
On the planet Mustafar, Anakin has just shown Obi-wan a stick figure drawing signed by Obi-wan...and Padme too.

Obi-wan: "I did not draw that."

Anakin: "It's right here in purple crayon!"

Obi-wan: "Well you ARE a poo-poo head."

ZeornWarlock

Post by ZeornWarlock »

The most important factor for me is the siege system and the quickness of character creation. As a Game's Master I can concentrate my efforts on story telling/making rather than hundreds of time consuming rules which in my mind takes away the spirit of role-play. Oh and the books are far more affordable than most other RPGs.

All character classes are fun to play; the races have some old features and new twists. And mostly, I can say that all of C&C and Zagyg modules I have played so far are great!
The Troll team are doing a great job with C&C and I recommend the game to anyone new or experienced with fantasy RPGs. Having E. Gary Gygax and Robert J. Kuntz on the Zagyg products is a big + at least for me. And it has one of the best communities that I have ever seen online!
Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. C&C is that damn good!
ZW.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

*ahem*

To me, C&C represents the best of the Classic, AD&D, and 3e D&D. We've got the unified mechanics of 3e, the simplicity of Classic, and the feel of AD&D.

In C&C, if a PC surprises me with a course of action, I don't have to look to see what rule or rules would cover it. All I need do is determine how difficult it would be, roll the dice, and play out the consequences.

And finally, no Attacks of Opportunity!
Treebore wrote:

meepo

Post by meepo »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
And finally, no Attacks of Opportunity!

Gads yes. Who knew that a concept as simple as "don't do stupid things in combat" could translate to such a nightmare for 3rd edition.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

1) less intimidating for new gamers

2) MUCH less intimidating for new ck's

Some real world in play examples:

- I've had rangers trying to pick locks

- I've had fighters trying to track people on darkened city street

- I've had wizards trying to make called shots with their weapons

- I've had a knight and his heavy war horse fight back to back and triumph over more than a dozen gnolls

- I've had a rogue jump from a 2nd floor window onto and into the midst of monsters below, just to distract them

- I've had clerics trying to sneak (and making the roll - beauty!)

These are just some of the things that players have tried to do in the 15 or so sessions that I've run, which I think would be hard to do, or impossible in 3rd edition. The funny thing - I don't think any of them realized what they were trying to do until afterward.

Cheers,

J.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Thanks everyone! I'll try and compile this into some kind of cohesive whole and then submit it to you for editing.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

What be this thar editin ye spake aboot? We 'ere at Troll HQ donna use anyting like that. Just make a second posting. Heheh

meepo

Post by meepo »

serleran wrote:
What be this thar editin ye spake aboot? We 'ere at Troll HQ donna use anyting like that. Just make a second posting. Heheh

I'd laugh, but my core rules ended up costing me $60 instead of $40!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've been working on this the past hour. It isn't easy consolidating everyones views into a consolidated whole. There are a lot of commonalities, but there are many important variations on them. Tough to figure out how to restate things and still say the same thing.