Default Mood of C&C

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Default Mood of C&C

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Okay, time for another sleep-deprived topic from the whorls of my brain!

What is the default mood of C&C? Is it grim / dark fantasy, high fantasy, sword & sorcery, silly (in the sense of quirky a la Vance), folkloric, etc?

While that may seem a simple question, consider the following: tone of writing, artwork, content, etc.

C&C is pretty open to personal interpretation, but I posit the following: it is high fantasy with grim underpinnings. Darker than D&D 2e or 3e, but naturally not as much as say, Warhammer Fantasy.

Why? Paladins, some quite heroic art, and a tone of high adventure and magical wonder in the writing. This is contrasted by the Assassin core class, poisons, at times moody black & white art (not that all b&w art is dark by nature), and plenty of undead villains.

To contrast this with AD&D 1st edition, I think there was a definite feel of high/grim/silly fantasy to it, while classic D&D was more straight high fantasy feel to it.

Any thoughts?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I believe C&C is sword-and-sorcery / grim fantasy with a heavy emphasis on epic stories. Its not as S&S as say, Conan, but the seeming lower magic overall (emphasized by the treasure tables and the fact that there are fewer spellcasting classes in C&C than in AD&D), but I get that sensation when reading over much of the game material. It definitely is grim, with combat being designed to be "fast and deadly," though I hope my writing of the monsters helps (I do tend to be dark...)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Personally C&C is classic Sword & Sorcery to me.

Fact of the matter is that everbodies intepretation of sword and sorcery, high magic, etc is going to be slightly different.

C&C is not high magic like 3E seems to me, but tis defintely not grim, gritty, dark fantasy as presented in the PHB, M&T by any stretch of the imagination.

.......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jynx
Red Cap

Post by Jynx »

Is there really a 'mood' to C&C?

Personally I think not. To me, it's just a basic RPG System to build on and not a setting, so I don't even see the 'mood'. Just my opinion anyhow!

hmmm....

meepo

Post by meepo »

Jynx wrote:
Is there really a 'mood' to C&C?

Personally I think not. To me, it's just a basic RPG System to build on and not a setting, so I don't even see the 'mood'. Just my opinion anyhow!

hmmm....

I agree for the most part. The only mood I get is from the artwork (which is very nice, GT, some of the finest in any of my RPG books) being so unified throughout the rulebooks. Other than that, I think C&C pretty much can wrap itself comfortably around any fantasy theme (and possibly other genres as well), as seen in the A vs. U series of modules, Goodman Games adventures, the light hearted 'Killer' modules by miller6, and the most recently posted Dragonlance conversion.

One size fits all - and I love it!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

While I don't really attach a mood to the PHB, there is definately a mood put out through the modules.

I like the slightly "folklorish" mood to some of the modules.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I do feel that the rules, a they are written, lend to a lower magic grim and gritty game. As has been pointed out though, it still comes down to the CK and the campaign they design. Or the modules, and how much of them, the CK uses. The very essence of why I love RPG's.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

It's what you make of it...and that's the beauty of it...versitility.
I sure am happy with it.

Brian Miller

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

I tend to lean towards "high fantasy with grim undertones". Reading the Codex of Erde forces me to arrive at this conclusion. Knightly codes, romances, and the epic style in which the book is written all remind me of Mallory's Le Mort de Arthur and similar works. And then there's the Warhammer feel to the naming conventions and underlying evil ala GW's "Enemy Within" campaign that gives it just the right amount of grit. I think we can safely assume that the forthcoming revision will evoke a similar feel. HOWEVER, C&C is infinitely expandable, and can encompass any playstyle you can imagine.

But, on it's own, I'd say Excalibur-Meets-Warhammer. And that's exactly how I like it! =)

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I don't see one mood in C&C, IMHO the rulebooks (PHB & M&T) don't really have a mood to them. The modules vary in moods. The "A" series is very epic in feel, like the characters are part of something much bigger. Fingers of the Foresaken Hand is higher in magical tone, as are the Goodman modules. Plus much of the mood will be put in by the CK, even those running the same modules will tend to run things differently.

If anything C&C is sort of middle ot the road, and can easily lead where the CK wants

angelius

Post by angelius »

lol this is probably quite silly, but the use of wizard vs. Magic User makes it more high fantasy to me... never liked the word Wizard.

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

It is all styles and all moods to all people who call it theirs.

8)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

magehammer wrote:
It is all styles and all moods to all people who call it theirs.

Really, that is quite perfect in the way to describe this topic. Obviously C&C is a lot of things, a loit of ways to many different people. C&C is what it is... great.

....................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Well, for me, the default mood comes from the boxed set. The rules were fast, easy and old school. Then after viewing the intro adventure, I knew that this was exactly what I needed to return to the game.
After reading the module The Rising Knight, I purchased the Codex of Erde and that's where the real "mood" of the game comes into play.

That world is in so many ways - Dungeons & Dragons. Sword & sorcery, Middle Earth, Blackmoor, Ravenloft, dungeon crawls, Greyhawk, Yggsburgh etc. all fit in perfectly!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I have to go with high fantasy. Wizards, Paladins, Tolkienesce Elves and Half-Elves. Also, Peter's artwork just screams high fantasy to me.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

If C&C has a mood its streamlined.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Dragonhelm
Red Cap

Post by Dragonhelm »

It's hard to give a mood to something that is, in essence, a tool.

I'm going to say that it's default mood is standard sword & sorcery, in the same vein as AD&D/OD&D. From there, it is malleable enough to work for high fantasy, dark fantasy/horror, or any number of genres you can think of.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

You oughta do this topic as a poll. Be interesting to see how many gamers we have of each type.

Brian Miller

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
If C&C has a mood its streamlined.

I have to agree there. That was my biggest impression from the Players Handbook. It felt wonderful as compared to the D&D 3.5 PHB which felt like rules lawyer heaven.

I will say, just to say, that I don't get a Middle-Earth feel from Castles & Crusades. It doesn't really have that Heroic Saga (Beowulf, Volsung etc) quality because it lacks that mythic element in favour of a bit more traditional fantasy element. It also, as someone pointed out, has more of that Romance feeling, something Professor Tolkien was noted as disliking.

This is not a knock on C&C, because I like it. I will admit I find a decided lack of Heroic Saga type RPGs disconcerting (since Pendragon isn't Heroic at all but Romantic). I prefer a grittier Dark Ages type setting, but I also find a more Romantic one appealing at times. I mean, who cannot love to play a Knight who lives by a Code?
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken
Μολὼν λάβε

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

I think mood depends more on setting than on the system.

I could very easily see running a Ravenloft campaign using C&C rules. That would have a very different feel than running, say, a Dragonlance campaign, which in turn would have a very different feel than Greyhawk.

Thulcondar
http://www.goldenfuture.net/Thulcondar

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Okay, so now there's a poll option!

I've actually been thinking of running a Nordic Saga-influenced campaign using C&C and the Vikings historical green book from 2e.

Would it be Skalds and Sea-Serpents, then?

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

I think the default setting comes form th players and the CK I mean each of my play test groups and also my 2 C&C campaigns are set in completely different moods, and historical era's and technology bases

ken

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
Okay, so now there's a poll option!

Hehe, still hard to pinhole. I chose "Grim fantasy", but I'm sure my world is that + sword & sorcery + mythic/folkloric + romance/chivalry!

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

Severite
Mist Elf

Post by Severite »

Well, I think of C&C base as being high fantasy with grim reality thrown in, most of that is from the artwork, though. For instance the picture of the cleric (think thats the one, dont have the book in front of me) with the hammer just evokes the feeling of worry and tension that come from the "fight or flight" response in preparing to face danger.