Ungren and Slag Heap

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Ungren and Slag Heap

Post by PeelSeel2 »

In Slag Heap, it has Ungren in it. I cannot find the write up for them in the M&T or in Slag Heap. What are they exactly and where is the write up?

-George Washington

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There is an Ungern write-up in there, just not an "advanced" one for the leader, so I added a few HD to him. The write-up is on the bottom right of page 19, for the 6 Ungern.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Their was also one like on page 17. I am looking more for a M&T style write up. What is their society like, motivations, etc? Are they super weak demons? Are they Orc? Are they the Uruk-hai orc's?

-George Washington

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

From the old boards, written by Steve (I think).
Dark Faerie

NO. APPEARING: 1, 6-12, 20-100

SIZE: Medium

HD: 3d8

MOVE: 20 ft., 30 ft. (fly)

AC: 15

ATTACKS: Weapon (weapon)

SPECIAL: Darkvision 60 ft., Twilight Vision, Spell-Like Abilities, Hide, Rogue traits

SAVES: M, P

INT: High

ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Evil

TYPE: Fey

TREASURE: 3

XP: 90+3

Dark Faerie are outcasts from the land of Faerie and for this reason, they hate beauty of any sort. Dark Faerie take many shapes and forms. Their natural form is that of a small winged, humanoid creature, mottled dark green in color. They have long faces, with deep set eyes and usually horrible teeth. Occasionally, they take on the shape of deformed gnomes. They are found in most climes and almost any terrain, however, the much prefer deep, temperate forests where they live in dens or warrens dug beneath the roots of very old trees. Dark fey are violent creatures and do not work well with one another. When encountered in large groups there are always several factions that frequently fight one another.

Dark fey work to undo all that is good in the world and they long for the return of Unklar and the Age of Winters Dark. They tend to seek out powerful, evil creatures and aid them against other lesser folk. They love to steal and rob human establishments and are frequently responsible for kidnapping the young.

Dark Faerie have an inexplicable hatred, which borders on fear, of birds.

Combat: Dark Faerie rarely stand and fight unless they feel that they have a better than average chance of overcoming the enemy. They prefer hit and run tactics that keep an enemy unbalanced, gradually weakening them until chances of a successful attack improve.

Polymorph: Dark Faerie have the ability to Polymorph Self twice each day as a 7th level caster.

Spell-like Abilities: They can cast, as a 6th level wizard, the following spells once per day obscuring mist, entangle, pass without trace, light and silence image.

Rogue Traits: Dark Fey have all first level rogue abilities and act as 5th level rogues.
Ungern

NO. APPEARING: 1-8, 10-100

SIZE: Medium

HD: 2d8

MOVE: 30 ft.

AC: 14

ATTACKS: 2 claw (1-2), or gore (1-6+2), or by Weapon (weapon)

SPECIAL: Twilight Vision, Spell Resistance 2, Hide

SAVES: P

INT: Average

ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil

TYPE: Humanoid

TREASURE: 1

XP: 46

In the black days of the Winter Dark when the Horned God, Unklar, ruled the land, the ungern issued forth from the fortress of Aufstrag. They served Unklar as soldiers and captains, and spread his evil throughout the lands. Some say that they were born of a union between the dark fay and wild evil men enslaved in Unklars service, but this is not true, for the ungern are the children of the horned god. They were created from his own malice and caste in his image. In those far off days Unklar bore with him a great despite of power from the Void and with it he fashioned the ungern. He caste their molds and breathed life into them. So they are still born, in the deep pits of Aufstrag by the Witch Queens and other servants of his that remain in the world.

Whatever their origin, they are always the same, possessing an evil and an undying lust for destruction. The ungern are devil like in appearance. Their shape mimics the guise of their maker, Unklar. They stand about 6 feet on average and are generally humanoid in shape. They have dark brown or red skin. Their hands are clawed, their feet cloven hooves. They have wolf like heads with long tooth-filled snouts. Long black horns adorn their brows.

Ungern travel in organized units ranging from 10-100. For every 10 encountered there is at least one sub-chief with maximum hit points and an AC of 15. If two or more of these sub-chiefs are encountered there is always a chief with 4d8 hit points (minimum 18 hit points) and an AC of 16. If 100 are encountered there is an ungern battle lord with 56 hit points, AC 18 whose weapon does 2-12 points of damage.

Combat: In battle, they are always dress in armor, helms and shields. They wield axes and other heavy cleaving weapons such as bardiches or halberds. Their archers are famed for using great horned bows, and though they can only fire one arrow a round the damage they do, 2-16, more than makes up for it. If there are more than one, they always fight as a unit, speaking their own guttural language to communicate actions. They do not surrender unless ordered to by one of their captains and will always fight to the death. They hate dwarves above all creatures and spare them little mercy. Ungern are not prone to unnecessary cruelty, nor do they torture their enemy. Rather, they slay them out of hand.
Troll Lord

NO. APPEARING: 1-4

SIZE: Large

HD: 9d10

MOVE: 30 ft.

AC: 18

ATTACKS: 2 fists (1-4), Bite 2d6, Weapon (weapon)

SPECIAL: Rend, Darkvision 60 ft., Twilight Vision, Regeneration 2

SAVES: P

INT: Average

ALIGNMENT: Evil

TYPE: Giant

TREASURE: 9

XP: 1700+9

Troll Lords are rare, solitary creatures, never traveling in groups larger than four. They are massive, averaging about 12 feet tall, their huge bellies only matched by their large hands and feet. They take pride in the great tusks that sprout from the tops and bottoms of their jaws, often decorating them with bands of gold, iron, silver or other precious metals. They prefer little clothing, usually restricting themselves to loose pants, loin clothes and the like. They hang their battle trophies from chains or ropes they loop about their arms, legs, chests or shoulders.

Troll lords inhabit wilderness regions where they are not likely to be disturbed. Occasionally they raid farming communities for their favorite food, billy-goats. They much prefer raw meat to cooked, but on occasion make large stews of rotten vegetables, meats and spices. Troll lords are evil with a mean disposition. They keep to themselves and avoid contact with others. They are of average intelligence, but can see in the dark as easily as they can in the day and have keen senses of smell.

Troll lords are immortal. Though they can be slain by mortal means, they do not die. Rather, as they age they become weighted down with their lifes accumulated evil so that eventually they cannot move. In time they root the weight of their lifes work becomes so great that they are unable to move. They become still as trees, waking only long enough to visit some evil on whatever unfortunate creature happens to sit upon their rooted feet.

Combat: In combat they use small trees for clubs or crude stone axes. They also use their huge fists to pummel an opponent senseless or squeeze them like fruit. If the troll lord scores two successful hits with his fists, he can grab an opponent an opponent in a bear hug or pummel him (CKs choice) for an extra 3d6 points of damage.
Unklars Breath

Hit Dice: 1d10 (7hp)

Speed: 15ft.

AC: 18

Attacks: Special

Damage: Special

Special Attacks: Paralysis

Special Qualities: None

Climate/Terrain: Any

Organization: Solitary

Treasure: None

Alignment: N

These creatures were created by the Arch-Mage Nulak-Kiz-Din

to guard treasure. An Unklars Breath manifests wherever a drop

of Nulaks blood has been placed and the proper incantation laid

upon it. Nulak was known to supply his precious commodity to

his more powerful guild houses and to some of his greater servants, so the number of Unklars Breaths is limitless. The creatures are often placed on the locks of chests and spell books.

Description: When the enchanted drop of blood is disturbed by touch or spell, the Breath pours forth as a medium-sized purple mist.

In combat the Breath attacks by entering the mouth or nostrils

of its victim, infecting his/her blood and thereby paralyzing them.

Holding ones breath will not keep the creature from entering the

body. Though the creature can be hit by normal weapons, the most effective way of combating the creature is by casting a Dispel Magic, Neutralize Poison, or Remove Disease upon it. These spells instantly destroy it.

Paralysis: Those that inhale an Unklars Breath become paralyzed for 10 minutes if they fail to save. Elves are vulnerable to this paralysis.
Orinsu

Hit Dice: as Host animate

Speed: 30ft or as Host animate

AC: as Host animate

Attacks: as Host animate

Damage: as Host animate

Special Attacks: as Host animate

Special Qualities: animate, Etherealness

Climate/Terrain: Any

Organization: Solitary or group

Treasure: None

Alignment: NE

Orinsu are lost souls spawned from those who suffered a horrible

death due to torture, starvation, or other evil circumstances. The spirit, wracked by earthly pain, is unsure as to whether it should pass on from the realm of the living. It remains in the foggy middle, tied to its place of death as undead.

Description: Orinsu are ethereal spirits without form or substance. If

spied on the ethereal plane, they appear as pain-wracked versions of

their former hosts.

In combat the Orinsu animate the nearest, most threatening object and

attack. They gain all of the combat abilities of the host they animate.

Once the host is destroyed, or near destruction, the Orinsu flees it and searches for another host to animate. If none exist, it returns to its earthly remains.

Orinsu remain near the remains of their former host, but they manifest

in a number of ways. They may appear as simple poltergeists, moving

candle sticks and books in the late of night, or they may walk the earth, haunting the living.

When desiring to affect the living world, Orinsu manifest themselves

by animating objects. The bodiless spirits worm their ways inside a

statue, a figure in a painting, or their former bodies (treat as zombie, lesser zombie, or skeleton). The more powerful Orinsu may even

animate a fallen character. The animation process takes one round, both

to enter and to leave a host. Orinsu Animates may never venture more

than 1 mile from the earthly remains that once housed their uncorrupted

spirit.

Defeating an Orinsu: If the zombie bodies are turned, the Orinsu are

consigned to oblivion. The zombies will animate only if someone

physically threatens them and only if the Orinsu has not occupied

another host. The zombies can only be permanently destroyed by a

cleric through turning. If the zombie itself is chopped down, burnt or

otherwise destroyed the corpse will no longer be able to defend itself, but the Orinsu will still be able to animate another host.

The only other way to destroy the Orinsu is to lay them to rest. The

corpses must be named, consecrated earth thrown upon them, and a

burial spell cast over them. Any number of spells will serve this

purpose, Bless, Consecrate, Remove Curse, Sanctuary, or the Bless

spell found in room 7. If the characters succeed in laying the Orinsu to rest they are awarded double the experience point value.

Enjoy.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

If you have either the Codex or Erde or Mortality of Green, both have great info on the ungern.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Tanks alot!! That is what I am looking for!

On a side note, I am liking Slag Heap even better on the second read through. Next I will have to revisit Assualt.

-George Washington

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I personally beef up the Ungern to 3 HD, but to each his own.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
I personally beef up the Ungern to 3 HD, but to each his own.

I kept them at 3HD when I converted Mortality of Green for my last campaign.(Before the official conversion). I wanted them to be noticeably tougher than orcs or goblins.hobgoblins.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Maliki wrote:
I kept them at 3HD when I converted Mortality of Green for my last campaign.(Before the official conversion). I wanted them to be noticeably tougher than orcs or goblins.hobgoblins.

My thoughts exactly, I wanted my players to have a sense of fear when they encountered Ungern. Plus I have them fight in highly effcient military formations, using shield walls and volleys of missle weapons to wear down the players.

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Quote:
AC: 14

That is one wicked AC ungern have!!
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

That's right, googly eyes is damn near impossible to hit.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

It should be an AC of fourteen.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

IS that it, my ungern have an AC of 18, they wear full plate for crying out loud.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
IS that it

According to what I have from the old boards. Also what is listed in the MoG and the AWD books.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Just like any character, their armor depends on how good their resources are, or have been.

I modified the boss Ungern to have 8 HD and an AC of 19, because my party was 4th to 5th level and were walking all over the orcs and lesser Ungern.

The Knight and Ranger remember their fight with that Ungern and aren't looking forward to seeing anymore. DM mission accomplished. Memorable combat/encounter achieved.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
IS that it, my ungern have an AC of 18, they wear full plate for crying out loud.

Hehe, note in the paragraph - the sub-chief at AC 15, chief at 16 and battle lord at 18 at with increasing HD/HP. Lots of room for customization. I too see these guys as tough SOBs, and IMO stronger, smarter and nastier than orcs or goblins!

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore