It makes me a bit sad...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Ogma
Mist Elf

It makes me a bit sad...

Post by Ogma »

When I see ebay auctions of RPG lots from the 70s and 80s accompanied by descriptions stating that the seller played the game/s when they were younger, but the time has come to clear the items out of their basement or attic... Why? Why is that people can get together to play Poker or watch football or have BBQs, etc., but they can't continue to enjoy role-playing games as adults??? And how can WE (and I do mean you and I) help to "sell" roleplaying as a valid hobby that has a place in adult life???

I just get so frustrated when I see those auctions knowing that the items being sold are surely linked to fond memories and now these people just feel as though it is time "...to put away childish things..."

Sigh...

~Ogma

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Make people comfortable with the truth that we never really grow up in terms of playing/having fun. So be comfortable with the child inside and when some moron gives you grief do the adult thing and tell them to "F" OFF!! Meanwhile, game as often as possible until the day you die and they pry the dice from your cold, dead, fingers!

Oh, and teach your kids, and anyone elses kids you possibly can, how to game.

Plus fill in the missing gaming material for your collection with stuff those morons are selling on eBay.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I think Treebore hit it right on, though I would like to edit one small bit.

My edit is in bold.
Quote:
Meanwhile, game as often as possible until the day you die and they try to pry the dice from your cold, dead, fingers!

How will I game in the Halls of Valhalla if they jack me for my dice?

Insensitive bastards.

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

For some people taste change, or perhaps they never had the deep love for th game and it was just something they did with their friends and now their friends have moved on. There are many hobbies I had in my youth, that as an adult I don't have the time or the energy to pursue. Gaming for me will always be a part of my life, can't imagine a time whne I wont be gaming, but I have seen casual players who can easily drop if they need to.

ken

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Treebore wrote:
Meanwhile, game as often as possible until the day you die and they pry the dice from your cold, dead, fingers!

My grave stone will read, "He missed his saving throw."

Brian Miller

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I know for myself, when I was ~24, I got out of gaming until I was 33. I had a huge collection. In the 9 years of not gaming, I lost 3/4 of my collection due to circumstance beyond my control. I then sold (most) of the remainder on ebay.

But then when I was 33 a yearning for it came back. I was in different circumstances in life. I needed a hobby, so I got back into it. My wife thought I was weird initially (she having nveer been a gamer and never exposed to gaming), but soon settled down.

So now over the last couple of years, I have managed to get (most) of the cherished portions of my collection back. The rest I could actually care less about. Most where wargames I never played.

I got back into gaming with 3.5E, which was all right. It was not the game I remembered, but I got along with it. If your going to run 3.5E effectively as a DM, you need a laptop, etools, and a searchable copy of the SRD. I do not know how you could prepare for sessions in a timely manner or do things 'on the fly' in that game without them.

Then I found C&C. A game like I remembered, but with rules drawn from the wisdom of 6 incarnations of D&D. I do not really need a laptop to run a game!! I can have a 'party sheet' and a few scraps of paper. AWESOME!!

-George Washington

Jynx
Red Cap

Re: It makes me a bit sad...

Post by Jynx »

I was out of gaming from 1988 until 2003 - 15 years!!!

I NEVER sold or tossed out my books... although I did throw out my grey hawk maps 2 days before I got married . It was because I had no place for them and they were glued onto poster board. My mom wanted the room cleared and the new apartment was small so my wife didn't want it anywhere. {sigh}
Ogma wrote:
Why is that people can get together to play Poker or watch football or have BBQs, etc., but they can't continue to enjoy role-playing games as adults???

Many hobbies are available and sometimes it's a matter of finding a common hobby with the people you hang with, and especially your wife/family. If it wasn't for my curiousity with what ever happened to TSR / D&D after I saw LOTR movie, I would never hace discovered WOTC and 3.5 . So basically you tend to fall into whatever fits in life. If somepeople have those books and can't find equally interested players, then they will naturally gravitate towards more compatible hobbies.
Ogma wrote:
...And how can WE (and I do mean you and I) help to "sell" roleplaying as a valid hobby that has a place in adult life???

Do what I did! Start a web site dedicated to bringing people together to play RPGs. I started with 5 friends, and in the last 2 years I've gone from 5 to over 60 members in Montreal. I've met most of them and have either played at local games or hosted. It's a great way to meet new people. Many of the people on my website have come back into gaming after years of hiats as myself, and have no clue where to look or begin gaming. I try to help!
Ogma wrote:
I just get so frustrated when I see those auctions knowing that the items being sold are surely linked to fond memories and now these people just feel as though it is time "...to put away childish things..."

Don't be frustrated. Just buy ther books and be glad you can get stuff like that still in this day and age of 3.5!

angelius

Post by angelius »

Kinda reminds me of the time of that crazy anti-D&D craze and my dad made me get rid of most of my RPGs. Of course now my collection is unstoppable and grows like half a dozen books a month. :p

In other words, in my early 20's I was back with avengence.

(early 20's? that makes me sound old when I say that and I'm not really.)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Never got rid of any of my stuff... nor was I ever "out" of gaming, since I began. I hope never to experience a drought of years...

............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The only thing I ever sold of my collection was, and I am still irked by it, was a copy of everything FASA released for Shadowrun, before 3rd edition of that game. Why did I sell it? Unexpected circumstances, which required immediate cash, and I didn't have a reason to call JG Wentworth. Stupid me, too, since now I have to try and recapture all of it, and its going to be much more expensive this time around.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

miller6 wrote:
My grave stone will read, "He missed his saving throw."

Brian Miller

LOL!

I want "Jesus saves, I took half damage" or something similar on mine.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Zudrak wrote:
LOL!

Piers Anthony came up with the best one.

"Death is natures way of telling you it's time to slow down."

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Piers Anthony came up with the best one.

"Death is natures way of telling you it's time to slow down."

On a similar note I want my last words to be something of a mystery to those around me. Like, "Weasels? They never said anything about weasels!"

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I should note. I still have all of my original D&D/AD&D stuff from 78 onward. Only difference is much of it is signed now.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Yeah...even when I dropped out of the hobby for a couple of years, I never entertained the thought of selling my gaming supplies. But I am a packrat, too.

I think growing up is realizing that it's okay to still enjoy things you did when you were younger, rather than putting them aside.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
I think growing up is realizing that it's okay to still enjoy things you did when you were younger, rather than putting them aside.

Humph. Been a reenactor for 30 + years and have done most every period from medieval to WWII. Clearly, a chap like myself who plays cowboys and indians still is a far cry from being 'grown up.' 8)

Peter Bradley

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Seriously, I think part of growing up is realizing it is a healthy and good thing to still play like a kid. Growing up just broadens the field on which you are able to play. For me, RPG's is a field of play I don't want to leave.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Ogma wrote:
When I see ebay auctions of RPG lots from the 70s and 80s accompanied by descriptions stating that the seller played the game/s when they were younger, but the time has come to clear the items out of their basement or attic... Why? Why is that people can get together to play Poker or watch football or have BBQs, etc., but they can't continue to enjoy role-playing games as adults???

Yeah, it's odd. Hopefully not that many. On the other hand, I do see lots of people that haven't gamed in years returning. And a great many are doing so because of C&C!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

sieg

Post by sieg »

Re: "Growing out of gaming"

I've never really given up gaming since the beginning (TOO long ago!), but from what I've seen of others that get out of gaming it seems like many people hit their 20s and society makes them feel like they "have" to be adults and grown up or they're not taken seriously. As a way of showing their "Adult"-ness, they give up things that society feels are "childish". However, by the time they hit their late 20s/early 30s, they realize that society's opinions really aren't that important and miss actually enjoying themselves. As such, they return to the hobby, usually with a vengance!
As for graves, my wife Indigo Rose is exasperated with me because while she's considering cremation I want a grave. A mausoleum, actually; with traps, poison darts, spike pits, and my entire remaining fortune hidden in my coffin.

Want to inherit? Go to town, get some hirelings (especially a thief) and come get it!

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

sieg wrote:
Re: "Growing out of gaming"

... As for graves, my wife Indigo Rose is exasperated with me because while she's considering cremation I want a grave. A mausoleum, actually; with traps, poison darts, spike pits, and my entire remaining fortune hidden in my coffin.

Want to inherit? Go to town, get some hirelings (especially a thief) and come get it!

What a great plan!!

-George Washington

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Well I have thought about being buried in my tee shirt that says that, but I think the wife and family have other plans for my dead attire

ken
Zudrak wrote:

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

sieg wrote:
As for graves, my wife Indigo Rose is exasperated with me because while she's considering cremation I want a grave. A mausoleum, actually; with traps, poison darts, spike pits, and my entire remaining fortune hidden in my coffin.

That is priceless.

On a related note. Can you recomend a contractor?

sieg

Post by sieg »

Depends....where in TX are you?

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

*sighs* I haven't gamed face-to-face in roughly fifteen years. I love the hobby, I have a bookshelf stuffed with gamebooks, but my attempts at a gaming group in my area have all met with disaster. I even coerced/cajoled my kids and girlfriend into playing with me until I realized it just wasn't their thing and stopped.

You would think, living in the state where WotC is based, that there would be gamers all over the place. If there are, they belong to a super-secret society of mole people who turn into vapor the instant you make eye contact.....

I've honestly thought about boxing up all my books/paraphanelia more than a few times, but I always talk myself out of it. *grins*

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

How about this one for the gravestone...

"Consigned to the ground since no 12th level priest could be found."

Brian Miller

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'm going to be a lich. You're all welcome to come say hello.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

sieg wrote:
Depends....where in TX are you?

About 90 miles south of Dallas. I'm in no rush though, still having a few problems with this pesky phylacetary.

The bank is balking at my request to convert my savings account to silver dollars as well.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Gravestone: "Just couldn't make it through 36th level..."

.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

sieg

Post by sieg »

Ah...can't help then!

...though "Ascended to Demigod Status" is kinda tempting to put on the gravestone.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

sieg wrote:
...though "Ascended to Demigod Status" is kinda tempting to put on the gravestone.

I like it! Cool and funny idea!

...which makes you an NPC which explains why no one will ever see you again.
Brian Miller