The Beacon of Enon Tor

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Zudrak
Lore Drake

The Beacon of Enon Tor

Post by Zudrak »

Huzzah! I ran the download of The Beacon of Enon Tor (from Dragonsfoot) today. It was the first time playing C&C after waiting over a year to game. The game went splendidly.

My sick wife was not able to join us, as her chemo treatment on Thursday left her feeling like poo today (she told me earlier this week that she'd not join us as she knew she'd not be up to it, but to go ahead and play). My brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and mother-in-law had a great time, however.

Thanks to CK Ghul for his assistance in helping me set up a great one-off session within Yggsburgh (and that within Greyhawk). Gameplay is so smooth, I have not had such a splendid gaming session since we stopped for 10 years in 1990. See my inspiration here:
http://homepage.mac.com/ghul/Personal1.html

Kudos to the Trolls for C&C and putting together the best game in the RPG industry, IMO. Thanks, too, for making the game as great as I thought it would be when I first purchased my PHB last March. Thank you's must go out to Gary Gygax for pointing me in C&C's direction and to Peter Bradley for enduring my questions.
I am glad to be a part of this community and be amongst those that play this awesome game.

Happy Gaming,

Zudrak

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

Glad you had such a great time, Zu! My group is also loving C&C. There are occassional grumbles about "not enough options" as pertains to character building, but what I am trying to stress in my game is that we are adventuring! We are solving puzzles, experiencing story and culture (Gygaxian in nature, of course) and playing through multiple combats per session! C&C simply rocks for putting together a fun game for all.

Thank you for the kind words and the plug to my humble adventure journal -- 'twas the work of other authors, of course -- I just mashed some pieces together and they seemed to fit well. Hope your wife is feeling better soon so she can game, and keep up the good work! It's all about the fun, and it sounds as though you've done well in experiencing just that!

Any highlights of the adventure you wish to give us?
--Ghul

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Sorry to hear about your wife, Zudrak. I genuinely hope she pulls through without too much ado. Best wishes.

Brian Miller

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Glad to see someone else having a blast with C&C. I play with my family as well (Wife and 3 kids). I also wish your wife the best in her fight.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Glad to hear that you are having a blast with C&C, sounds like you have a real role-playing family. Best wishes for your wife, hope everything works out for the best.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Definitely good to hear Zu. Enon Tor is a great little adventure. It seems like we have a little in common as I ran this adventure this weekend as well. Also a splendid time had on our end by all.

Cheers!

............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Glad to hear you had fun, RPGs are a nice escape, hope your wife gets well soon.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great news, Zudrak. Glad to hear it. And here's to hoping your wife can recover and join in the gaming soon. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and her!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Yes hope all is well soon

ken

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.

Wow. I mean, Wow! The system was so easy to run and the SIEGE engine made things flow so quickly that (as Ghul put it) the players could focus on the adventuring (puzzles, story, culture) and forget about mechanics. No accountants or adding machines necessary!

Highlights:

The party was all demi-humans: 3 Mountain Dwarves (fighter, cleric, paladin), one Gnome (druid), and one Tallfellow Halfling (thief).

The cleric, played by my brother, may be nicknamed "Slippy" as he fell twice in combat -- once when he ran up the stairs to attack some giant bats. So much for the "wide base" theory of stability.

The party quickly came up with a standard MO for doors: The thief (my sister) checks for traps, the gnome uses her ears for listening at the door, the thief then picks the lock and then the fighter (my sister-in-law) opens the door. It worked splendidly and I gave out some role-playing bonus XP's for their ideas.

My mom-in-law, playing the druid in her first RPG experience ever, was helpful in suggesting using her listening at the door. Her exuberance was betrayed, however, when she was bitten by a diseased rat hiding in a sack of flour! The paladin (my bro-in-law) was there with his remove disease ability. The druid's dog companion helped the party's combat ability, but the lack of a wizard foiled their attempts to discover the mystery of the wizard's tower. (I am trying to avoid spoilers here.)

So, the party took the wizard and his wealth back to town and had him pay for passage to Yggsburgh from Garham (35 mile trip +/-), where they had a wizard visiting the Fane & Convent of Yondalla decipher his condition. They paid the priestesses there for the cure and took the wizard back to Garham.

Journey over and the swag & XP's were divvied out. The session lasted less than 5 hours total (including stopping for dinner -- pizza!). We started gaming at 2:30 and ended at 7.

I have not had that much fun running a game since 1990 when we stopped playing because I went away to college and my brother went into the USMC. Obviously, my wife joining us would make any future session(s) that much sweeter.

Now, the next challenge for me is where to go from here -- should the players want to play again (and I think they do!). I got a bunch of good feedback from all of the players. My sister and mom-in-law were talking gaming yesterday at a party we attended. So, I am thinking we may try to get a once-a-month campaign going.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

That would be cool! Very cool! Talking about it at a party is a very good sign indeed!

As for where to go from here there are a couple of free C&C downloads to use, then you could buy the C&C modules which I have been using, then, if this keeps going and they get to 5th level you could start using Brians Killer Cave series (Kobold and Ogre right now, download them before he gets them published!).

Or, if your an old time gamer, pulll out your 1E modules and use them, or your 2E, or your OD&D, they all work very well with C&C.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Treebore wrote:
That would be cool! Very cool! Talking about it at a party is a very good sign indeed!

As for where to go from here there are a couple of free C&C downloads to use, then you could buy the C&C modules which I have been using, then, if this keeps going and they get to 5th level you could start using Brians Killer Cave series (Kobold and Ogre right now, download them before he gets them published!).

Or, if your an old time gamer, pulll out your 1E modules and use them, or your 2E, or your OD&D, they all work very well with C&C.

Heh. I should have been clearer in my last post. I have a slew of 1e modules, a few 2e modules, and a bunch of the C&C modules. Even though I had not been playing since hearing of C&C last March, I have been a fan and buyer. I have A1, A2, U1, U2, and GG1 so far, plus The Dark Chateau and the Yggsburgh tome. I may lead the party to The Dark Chateau, but not before they level up a bit. That's one nasty manse!
I have been thinking of running The Temple of Elemental Evil, as well, since I just got a copy of that a few months ago from Amazon. Finally, after 25 years, I own the book that complements my "Village of Hommlet" module I have owned since 1981.

I believe I will save ToEE for a later campaign, though. I am leaning towards using the Yggsburgh book to lead into The Dark Chateau and possibly Castle Zagyg after that, pending production of that series.

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

All good ways to go. You can read some of what I had happen with the

C&C modules in this forum, plus I have started talking about my run through Brians Killer Kobold module that I just started running last night. Maybe that will help you decide on direction.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Old TSR modules convert seemlessly to C&C and it works great especially with younger players who were never privy to the classics like the G series and such.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

I vote for killer kobold cave next...but then again I'm biased.
Enjoy whatever you run. It's all good so long as they have a great time!

Brian Miller

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Treebore wrote:
All good ways to go. You can read some of what I had happen with the

C&C modules in this forum, plus I have started talking about my run through Brians Killer Kobold module that I just started running last night. Maybe that will help you decide on direction.

I will look around at your write-ups and see if that helps. The good news is, everyone wants to game again, so perhaps July 8 or 15 we will play once more.
Combat_Kyle wrote:
Old TSR modules convert seemlessly to C&C and it works great especially with younger players who were never privy to the classics like the G series and such.

Agreed! In fact, my original plan was to convert our 3e campaign (currently stalled on the first floor of G1 in the Hill Giant Steading) over to C&C, as the combat under 3e was maddening. Now that my wife has been sick and her brother and his wife have moved to NJ from MA, that campaign is on hold while we are trying out this new one. Maybe one day we'll resume the other or add in some other players to accomodate everyone.
miller6 wrote:
I vote for killer kobold cave next...but then again I'm biased. Enjoy whatever you run. It's all good so long as they have a great time!

Why would you be biased? I have downloaded your two caves so far (ogre and kobold). I've yet to look at them, but (being caves) I would think that they can be plugged in anywhere rather easily.

Thanks Treebore, Kyle, and Brian!

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

Ogma
Mist Elf

Post by Ogma »

Where's a good place in Erde to place the Beacon??? Any ideas?

~Ogma

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

Zudrak wrote:
Now that my wife has been sick and her brother and his wife have moved to NJ from MA, that campaign is on hold while we are trying out this new one.

Where 'bouts in NJ? I'm just about to start a new campaign using C&C, and am always looking for good players. Feel free to send me a PM...

Thulcondar
http://www.goldenfuture.net/Thulcondar

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Ogma wrote:
Where's a good place in Erde to place the Beacon??? Any ideas?

~Ogma

Hmm, depends. In looking at the map, Erde might be the perfect world for this adventure. If you were wanting to set it nearby the "A" series modules, then perhaps the island of Trier, just south of Outremere would be ideal.

I also like the United Kingdoms area, but the south-central area of Erde and heading north, presents lots of good choices, with it's many coves, inlets, bays and inner sea areas.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I put it on the mainland side of that "pass" between Trier and mainland Outremere.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:
I put it on the mainland side of that "pass" between Trier and mainland Outremere.

Ahh, the Ascalon Approach! The Bunce map of Outremere has some great detail of this area.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Thulcondar wrote:
Where 'bouts in NJ? I'm just about to start a new campaign using C&C, and am always looking for good players. Feel free to send me a PM...

Thulcondar
http://www.goldenfuture.net/Thulcondar

I reside in Gloucester County, near Woodbury. Unfortunately, the one game we have going is the only one I have time for, at the moment (for reasons alluded to earlier). If things do slow down and time permits, I will PM you.

Thanks for the invite, nonetheless, Thulcondar!

Happy gaming,

Zudrak

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

grrrowler39

Beacon at Enon Tor

Post by grrrowler39 »

I have just completed A Dark and Stormy Knight as my group's first adventure and am planning Beacon as their next stop along the way to the A Series.

Thanks for the suggestions for positioning this adventure.

I look forward to seeing more great adventures with my guys.
Cernunos

grrrowler39

Post by grrrowler39 »

Well, after two sessions, we have completed Beacon. The balance in my group made this adventure go well. We saved Karthedon and the players were happy with their rewards. I even rewarded/punished the players based on their role-playing. I had a Rogue admit that he was stealing from Karthedon. Karthedon withheld the gold from him, but the Fighter was very diplomatic in preventing further damage to the Rogue.

Master of Animals

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I really like this module and am trying to work this into my next campaign.

Philotomy Jurament

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

(Small spoliers)

I ran "Beacon" last night for my 10-year-old son, my 12-year old nephew, and my wife. Over the course of several hours they completed the adventure (they didn't find the secret room, but used the dispel magic scroll to revive the wizard and gain his gratitude and reward); everyone had a great time. I increased the numbers of some of the monsters, and I changed the bats to stirges, but other than that I ran it as-is.

I've been wanting to run Beacon for some time (ever since I read it); it's an excellent little adventure. Everyone appreciated the feeblemind twist, once they had figured it out. There were a chorus a "Ah has" when the PCs wizard deciphered what Karthedon had been working on, and noticed the acid spill.

My group was:

Shump, 2nd level half-orc fighter (my son)

Raiden, 2nd level human wizard (NPC henchman)

Bellon, 2nd level human cleric (my nephew)

Shadow, 1st level human thief (NPC henchman)

Coral, 2nd level human fighter (my wife)

For some reason, the dice were hot for my son: he rolled more natural 20s last night than I've seen in a while. (I give max damage on a natural 20, so that was a big deal.)

After all was said and done, all three PCs (i.e. Shump, Bellon, and Coral) gained 3rd level, and one henchman (Shadow, the thief) gained 2nd level. They've been playing these characters for a while, so that was a big deal, too.

Anyway, a very satisfying night of gaming!

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Beacon was a kickoff for my Yggsburgh campaign. Ran very well and one I would like to revisit.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Sounds like good family time, glad to hear things went so well.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Philotomy Jurament wrote:
Anyway, a very satisfying night of gaming!

Excellent, Phil - glad to hear it!

thoth93

Post by thoth93 »

My group really enjoyed Enon Tor. I put it on Trier. I made ... er ... well, some substantial changes to the background at least.

I found it really kinda creepy that Karthedon was harboring undead servitors. So I just made him evil. I had a council member who used to be a friend of his drop a hint that he had withdrawn from much public contact over the past couple of years and that he was short with him the last few times they had talked. (1)

Long story short, they found out that Karthedon had some rather ... unsavory plans for Borth. Fortunately, they found his diaries and such BEFORE they found the scroll and decided to use it. They kept him feebleminded, tied him up, and bore him back to the town council. Also among his notes, they found several disturbing mentions of a curious, crumbling tower to the north near a place called Malforten that had captured his attentions for reasons that were unclear, and another name that he said entered into his consciouness in a dark dream: Ungaith Kine, who yet Sleeps in Baleon Nakt (2).

They'll obviously be off to Malforten next. Need to try to put together a couple of good adventures in between hither and yon. I've got other ideas as to where all this might be heading into the far future.

Brian

(1) He didn't start out that way, to clarify. But he well and truly was by the time of his little magical misfire. Why will become a major plot point as we go along.

(2) The start of a series of interconnected future events in the timeline I'm projecting.