Adventure/Map Help

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
IceGiant

Adventure/Map Help

Post by IceGiant »

My GF has agreed to try gaming and I usually like to give my groups a base of operations when they start. So I'm looking for an adventure that i can use that gives her a small keep at the end.

My problem is I'm picky about maps/floorplans. I want the maps to look like an actual keep with full floorplans and not something that was drawn in 5 minutes and is just a box.

Anyone have any suggestions?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hehe, hmm, well, if you were so inclined, Keep on the Borderlands fits that bill very nicely... :) Its not designed, specifically, for C&C, but it can be used no problem.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I agree whole-heartedly. You can't beat Keep on the Borderlands. It's got the good "home base" map, plus it's a great beginning adventure to boot!

Crusade it up man!

.......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

IceGiant

Post by IceGiant »

Hmm. Thank you both. But If i recall the castle is fairly large. What I'm looking for is a small keep that the pc's (the gf) would own/inherit at the end of the adventure. Or one that they could fix up if it is abondonoed. And I agree that KoTB is great advenutre.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, in that case, try Little Keep on the Borderlands, for HackMaster. ;) Seriously, though, if all you really need is a map... well, then you could always use the moathouse from Temple of Elemental Evil. Its pretty small. There's also a castle in Destiny of Kings.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If all you need is a map good sire, try Google!
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&s ... ns&spell=1

Crusade on!

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

yzarCritS
Red Cap

Post by yzarCritS »

There's always Beacon at Enon Tor. Great for an introduction module. Should the current tower owner not survive, I could certainly see a possibility of the PCs claiming ownership. Great opportunity for roleplay with the Borth residents as well seeing as they'll still want the Beacon lit every night.

It's not a castle by any means, but good enough to call home.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Excellent suggestion! Matter of fact, that would be an interesting element to add to the adventure for Beacon.
........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The towers in "Mysterious Tower" and "Palace of Shadows" are now called "home" by my players PC's.

The Runemark Druid has the "Mysterious Tower" and the "Palace of Shadows" is a remote group stronghold.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Re: Adventure/Map Help

Post by Aramis »

IceGiant wrote:
My GF has agreed to try gaming and I usually like to give my groups a base of operations when they start. So I'm looking for an adventure that i can use that gives her a small keep at the end.

My problem is I'm picky about maps/floorplans. I want the maps to look like an actual keep with full floorplans and not something that was drawn in 5 minutes and is just a box.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Dungeon magazine might have just what you are looking for, if you can find it
Dungeon Magazine Index wrote:
Issue #26 Volume V, Number 2 (November/December 1990)

INHERITANCE, THE

AD&D FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure, 6-8 characters of levels 1-3

Written by: Paul F. Culotta

Artwork by: Ken Widing

Any wilderness, temperate

9 pages

Description: The heroes have just inherited a small keep.

All they have to do is clean out the monsters lurking within

Homer Simpson

Dangersaurus
Ungern

Post by Dangersaurus »

I like this one, Indell Keep, from Dragonsfoot:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php/archive. ... watchfile=

sykoholic

Post by sykoholic »

"Crucible of Freya" by Necromancer Games. The keep needs to be cleared out (no easy task) and repaired but it would make a decent BoO afterwards.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Great suggestion Syk, as CoF is one of the best modules ever produced... ever, IMO.

........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

madirishman

Post by madirishman »

You could always go for something historical - many of these are smaller works, not the full-blown castles like the Keep on the Borderlands.

For example, I've got some maps for Ars Magica which might be useful, particularly the "Austhwaite Manor" map:
www.mad-irishman.net/pub_ars.html

(Just make sure you fiddle with the layers in Acrobat.)

I seem to recall there being one or two likely candidates in the old Castle Guide for 2e, which is probably available in PDF. Also some good real-world examples in the old Robin Hood product by ICE, which again you might find at some OOP shop or in PDF. The Castles pack for Campaign Cartographer also had a couple of good ones in there (like a wizard's tower or something) - email me and I can send you the relevant parts of the PDF with the maps.

(I've been meaning to post some more generic maps for FRPG use, so this might be a good excuse for me to start doing so...)

Regards,

Patrick

--

Patrick M. Murphy

Mad Irishman Productions
www.mad-irishman.net

Slainte!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I believe the 2E Castle Guide is available as a PDF from Paizo.com for $4.00.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Here's Delphi. I could see some fun adventures with that map.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

madirishman

Post by madirishman »

Oh, and lest we forget, the keep from T1 The Village of Hommlet! I always wanted to kick out Rufus and Burne and run that place myself.
And perhaps even better was the keep the bandits inhabited in said module. Not big, and replete with dungeon. Despite the rat problem (well, and the resident bad guy problem) and being a fix-er-upper, it was pretty cool...

P

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Um... when a friend of mine was running Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, I... er... um... somehow got convinced that Rufus and Burne where also behind the problems. I convinced certain members of the party too.

We kinda... sorta... blasted our way through the front gates of the keep (I was playing a Battle Sorcerer), to confront them. I really tried to keep innocent casualties to a minimum (REALLY ... I DID). Unfortunately, one of the party kinda went on a killing spree. He got taken down first... I remember the party's cleric getting charmed or something... my own character got turned into a frog by... well... who do you think?

My character was executed I believe in the next couple of days that followed. A beheading if I remember correctly. We did manage to bump off Rufus and the dual between my character and Burne was pretty cool. In the end, well, my suspicions proved to be incorrect.

This is a perfect example of: 'When Campaigns go Horribly Wrong'. But at least we had a blast!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com