CZ Secondary Skills -- alternative 'costs'

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

CZ Secondary Skills -- alternative 'costs'

Post by Joe Mac »

I'm not sure I like fixed XP costs for each 'level' of the secondary skills. For those who have experimented with different ways of 'paying' for secondary skills, what do you use and how well has it worked?

I'm thinking I'd prefer that secondary skills cost a continual percentage off the top of all earned XP -- but how much? 5% per skill level, perhaps?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If you want them to end up costing even more than they currently do.... sure. The fixed amounts are, in the long run, far cheaper than an XP penalty. The "penalty" is great for low level games, though, where you need tens-hundred thousand requirements.

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

Yep, I realize the fixed amounts are much 'cheaper' over the long haul. I don't mind the greater cost because conceptually, I'm thinking of the secondary skill -- even though you don't add character level to the check -- as another tool in the box that will require training and practice to maintain.

However, the very fact that you don't add character level to the check, making it a 'static' level of skill, can be an argument in favor of a one-time cost.

That's why I'm on the fence, and looking for opinions.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Joe Mac wrote:
However, the very fact that you don't add character level to the check, making it a 'static' level of skill, can be an argument in favor of a one-time cost.

Actually, you do, in a sense. You just add the level of the ability to the check.

Course, if a simple solution is required, save 10% of your xp every level into a 'pool' for the CZ skills. By the time most characters get to 10th level, one gets a hell of a pool of ability ranks.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Mythago

Post by Mythago »

just a thought of the top of my head...

maybe one could combine the CZ secondary skills with the old non weapon profiecency rules - so sec skills use up slots - I like the CZ concept of sec skills for sure but dont like the xp cost system.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Mythago wrote:
just a thought of the top of my head...

maybe one could combine the CZ secondary skills with the old non weapon profiecency rules - so sec skills use up slots - I like the CZ concept of sec skills for sure but dont like the xp cost system.

This is what i've done. I use the nonweapon proficiencies from 2nd Ed AD&D. All characters start with 5 `slots'. You improve at these skills at +1 every 2 levels (they're secondary after all). The Siege Engine takes care of the rest.

I really like the nwp of 2nd Ed. They really add a lot of flavor to your character while maintaining the core mechanic.

I don't add extra slots at later levels, but there's no reason you couldn't make that work too.

-Fizz

Mythago

Post by Mythago »

are you using the NWP 2ed skill list or do you use slots with CZ secondary skills 'packages'?

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Mythago wrote:
are you using the NWP 2ed skill list or do you use slots with CZ secondary skills 'packages'?

I use the NWP of 2nd Ed AD&D.

-Fizz

rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

What I do not like is the linear progression. So I cut the starting cost in half, and applied a geometric progression.

So, a skill which costed 3000, 6000, 9000, 12000 etc. now costs 1500, 3000, 6000, 12000, 24000 etc.

When skills reach high levels, buying them is far too cheap with respect to how much it costs to obtain a class skill increase of one point.

Unless this, too, is an errata of the CZ skills system...I might ask Gary

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

I'd say it's up to the individual Castle Keeper as to how many levels can be purchased for a skill. I would personally impose 4 levels at best for any individual secondary skill bundle. Bear in mind, you *do not* add character level to ability checks, so the bonus never gets too out of control.

--Ghul

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

Hey, I'm bumping my own old thread, after two years, to ask again: is anyone currently using an XP percentage system for skill bundle costs? Something like:

Prime 5%

General 10%

Non-prime 15%

I'm thinking this might make skill bundle attainment at lower levels more feasible. It would have to be limited -- say, no more than one or two skills at 1st level, and no more than one new skill gained (subject to appropriate training opportunities, of course) at each additional level.

The percentage costs taken off the top of earned XP should add up quickly, and discourage the accumulation of too many skill bundles.

Thoughts?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The Castle Keeper of the current game is considering something like this, as the party is leaning toward breaking out of archetypes anyway (only one PC is not a multiclass character), so if we did, it would probably be a 20 or 25% penalty on earned XP, with the Intelligence bonus allowed as far as what skill bundles may be learned, and that is before the GP and time costs, which our game, would mean years of real play (because we just spent almost 7 months playing out 4 weeks of game time...) so, I don't think anyone would actually use it.

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

serleran wrote:
The Castle Keeper of the current game is considering something like this, as the party is leaning toward breaking out of archetypes anyway (only one PC is not a multiclass character), so if we did, it would probably be a 20 or 25% penalty on earned XP, with the Intelligence bonus allowed as far as what skill bundles may be learned, and that is before the GP and time costs, which our game, would mean years of real play (because we just spent almost 7 months playing out 4 weeks of game time...) so, I don't think anyone would actually use it.

Why such a high percentage, and how does the percentage relate to prime vs. non-prime (or does it)? Also, not sure I understand what role the Int bonus would play in this... Thanks

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Its a high percentage because, effectively, skill bundles can provide the entire class suite of abilities to a character, and seeing as we're already mostly double-classed, it would be fairly ridiculous to allow us, in effect, to be triple-classed without penalty. And, Intelligence covers how much a person can learn -- skills are things you learn, so, you if you're a 3 Intelligence inbred yokel bumpkin, don't expect to know rocket science, genetic theory, robot mechanics, and the inner workings of an apple -- you might know how to piss your pants, though, or that a candy bar costs about $100.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Getting rid of skills was one of the attractions of the game. Why would I want to reintroduce them? (so no, we're not using them)

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Getting rid of skills was one of the attractions of the game. Why would I want to reintroduce them? (so no, we're not using them)

Even though I made my own system for skills, I do agree with Go0gle. I use them when it's called for, but I'd rather not have them, personally.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.