The Wicked Cauldron

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

The Wicked Cauldron

Post by Tadhg »

Say, had anyone purchased a copy of this yet? I'm wanting to order one from NobleKnight, but they aren't showing it yet. Paizo has it and so I may have to order from them.

Just curious as I'm dieing to know how the module is and what good stuff/information has been revealed about the Blacktooth Ridge area!!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I'm waiting to order from NobleKnight as well, I've grown to love that shop on the net (and spend quite a bit too).

It took something like 2-3 weeks before Mortality showed up!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

I ordered from the Trolls directly last week -- I'm hoping to get it and a bunch of other stuff before Friday.

Moorcrys

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

moriarty777 wrote:
I'm waiting to order from NobleKnight as well, I've grown to love that shop on the net (and spend quite a bit too).

It took something like 2-3 weeks before Mortality showed up!

Moriarty the Red

For sure. Good service and pricing. I've got to get caught up on my C&C mods and some other stuff.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Moorcrys wrote:
I ordered from the Trolls directly last week -- I'm hoping to get it and a bunch of other stuff before Friday.

I probably would have too, if I were about to run this, but I have one or two other mods and then I'll begin WC. And I've got so many other mods to buy that I've just got to go for the online discounting (hopefully the Trollies understand!).

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I don't think the Trolls will mind, I mean -- whether you are buying direct or from another distributer, they are still getting money for the product.

M

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Dagnabit, NK still doesn't have this yet!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

LOL ... right now, I'm not sure if I mind waiting a bit longer. I've been spending WAY too much money in the past week on gaming material. Fantasy Flight has a holiday sale where I picked up a few books that had intested me at $5 each! I have another order from Noble Knight and I managed to track down 4 books on eBay that I was missing from my gaming collection! And that's just for starters...

Good deals in general have consipired against my and my budget! I just couldn't pass them up.

It would really surprise me if we don't end up seeing a listing there within the next week and a half.

Moriarty the Red

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

moriarty777 wrote:
LOL ... right now, I'm not sure if I mind waiting a bit longer. I've been spending WAY too much money in the past week on gaming material. Fantasy Flight has a holiday sale where I picked up a few books that had intested me at $5 each! I have another order from Noble Knight and I managed to track down 4 books on eBay that I was missing from my gaming collection! And that's just for starters...

Good deals in general have consipired against my and my budget! I just couldn't pass them up.

It would really surprise me if we don't end up seeing a listing there within the next week and a half.

Moriarty the Red

Haha, yep, me too. It must be the season. And like you, I have a couple more mods to run before WC, so I will be patient!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

WC Kicks!

Post by Tadhg »

Woohoo! Got my Wicked Cauldron and have only just perused and read some parts. Another great module. This time, something excellent for those CKs and PCs that enjoy a good dungeon crawl.

That and the usual excellent assortment of intrigue, NPCs, Aihrde lore/history/legend make for an action packed mod. And as always, one can drop this into any world or homebrew setting with very few adjustments.

I gotta say, if the Trolls keep this up, and I'm sure they will, the World of Aihrde and the C&C modules (A and U series, independents & old Erde D20) as a campaign setting/backdrop will blow away The Wilderlands or GG's world setting hands down. Really it's that good.
[Gotta go and read more!]

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Even though I need this module about 5 months ago, I'm waiting to place my order after the CK screen becomes available, which according to the Trolls should be another week or two.

Maybe I'll just call it in and ask Davis to hold my order until the CK screen is available.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

I'm getting mine from my FLGS tomorrow. I can't wait!

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Glad you liked it. I threw everyone for a loop with a few of the magic items and some critters. It was fun playing.

Next up Usurpers of the Fell Axe. These modules are supposed to be rolling off more quickly now but with all our various projects it is difficult to keep everything on a a schedule.

There is another 6 pager PDF going up today or tomorrow on rpg now (or whatever it is at this point.)

Davis

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

My FLGS just surprised me by having two copies on the shelves. Now, of course, there's only one
I like it...the paper quality is very good... that was the first thing I noticed.

I like the way the world and plot is slowly revealed in the course of these modules; a very old-school way to do it. If I can ever get my C&C campaign moving again, I will definitely be running the Slag Heap followed by this one after the next two adventures or so. I'm thinking of places all the action northwest of Yggsburgh.

As always, I'm glad to see new monsters.

Ziggaraut is a good word, one that does not get used nearly enough.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

With luck, I should be getting my copy in the mail tomorrow! I can't wait!

M

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I posted this a few days ago in the Upcoming Projects section, but it doesn't seem to be getting any attention, and since I really, really like the A series of mods, I'd kind of like it answered. So here's my question:
Rigon wrote:
I just got this around Valentine's Day and just finished reading it the other day. It looks like one amazing dungeon crawl. However, was anyone else a little confused abut the map as compared to the text? I really had trouble following how the layout of the ziggurat, dispite looking at the map as I read the entry for each room.

R-

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
I posted this a few days ago in the Upcoming Projects section, but it doesn't seem to be getting any attention, and since I really, really like the A series of mods, I'd kind of like it answered. So here's my question:

R-

I was reading this last night and getting a bit confused on who was entering where. IE Nobles/Elite versus the servant goblins, etc...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

IIRC, the first level and subsequent levels had 1 or more sets of stairs to descend and in the case of the 1st level, you needed to be wearing the correct robes or you could be attacked if you choose the wrong entrance or set of stairs to descend.

I'll have to take another look tonight.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rhuvein wrote:
IIRC, the first level and subsequent levels had 1 or more sets of stairs to descend and in the case of the 1st level, you needed to be wearing the correct robes or you could be attacked if you choose the wrong entrance or set of stairs to descend.

I'll have to take another look tonight.

I got that part, but it seemed to me that some of the descriptions just didn't fit with the location/layout of the room. I don't know, I may have to read it again.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

I just finished reading this module last night, and I have to say that this is the weakest of the 'A' series to date.

It felt rushed, and the editing and internal consistency was horrible - almost back to the bad-old days of TLG standards, which is a shame.

But what got me worst was the keying of the map vs. the actual room descriptions being wrong in a number of places, glaring errors in the maps themselves, monsters which are not written up in this module (what is a gobblet?, why must I bring another module to get a full writeup of an Ungern?) Pictures are cutting off key lines of text, monster write ups with inconsistent powers between paragraphs, so totally Monty Hall'ish it boggles the mind (every single Ungern in this module has +1 chain mail armour... WOW!!! why continue adventuring after this module - if you clean out all of it, I'm sure a party would have close to 100k worth of GP to spend. not bad for 4th level characters!!!) ... anyway... not to gripe, but I was hoping for a better showing with their flagship "A" series of modules.

Cheers,

J.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I am definitely having to re-write more of this than I have any other C&C module. Which was going to happen anyways because the party is now 10th level.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Is it just that you don't believe me when I tell you these things? ;) I do sorta know what I'm talking about, you know... ;) [/ends playing]
M&T Errata wrote:
pp56-57: Lycanthropes Creature type should be

shapechanger. All lycanthropes are able to regenerate at

varying rates (see below) unless struck by weapons made of

silver, in which case damage done by those weapons is not regenerated. See the Troll entry (Monsters & Treasure, pages

80 and 81 for particulars of the Regeneration ability.)

All lycanthropes are missing a description of their hybrid form.

Somewhere in the book, add the following:

Hybrid form: The lycanthrope can assume a hybrid form that

is a mix of its humanoid and animal forms. Hybrids have hands

and can use weapons, but can also attack with its teeth and

claws. Lycanthropes in hybrid form retain their human

intelligence and can use all the abilities the human form and

animal form possess. Lycanthropes in hybrid form can spread

the disease with their bite.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

Perfect; thanks.

I needed the regeneration stuff...
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

...just ordered this module.

Is it really that bad?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

No, it's not horrible, but it's IMO the weakest of the "A" series of modules so far, per what I mentioned above.

get it for completeness sake, and for those running through the "A" series, but I would not recommend it as a stand alone module, there just isn't enough there.

Cheers,

J.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, its not bad, just some problems with followig it. Plus for me I have to scale it up for a 10th level group.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hmm, I've read various sections and levels and thought I saw some excellent situations and encounter, but now I'll have to do a complete read.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

When you do read the module, read it with the maps nearby and look at them while reading the various entries... you'll see what I mean about some of the inconsistencies.

Cheers,

J.

Expatriorc

Post by Expatriorc »

Has anybody had success re-doing the maps? I've read through level 3 and have to say I'm a bit disappointed. My questions so far (from memory):

* Not clear on where the sanctuary is located. Is it a part of Level 1? Is the statue of the head inside the sanctuary or on top?

* Yes the maps are really bad. What is the worst is that there is no key.

- I assume that North is up on all the maps?

- I can deduce that 'S' written on the map is a secret door, but what is 'C'?

* Description doesn't clarify what kind of lighting (if any) is available in the ziggurat

* In level 1, it says that the orc females will go through the secret door into room 9 to get food and water, but then it says that the secret door to room 9 can only be opened from the inside. Confusing??!!

* In level 2, one of the rooms is called a Goblin Descent, yet there doesn't appear to be any stairs here. Am I missing something?

I'm sure I'll have more as I read through. I'd really like to get this to work as it seems to be a cool idea for a mod, but it's clear this is going to require extra work to get it running (which is not why I buy mods).

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

'C' used to mean trapdoor located on the ceiling. And, of course, 'F' meant a trapdoor on the floor. The only other time I have seen 'C 'mean something else was a marker for a concealed cache. But mostly for ceiling doors.

Know your roll!