Assault on Blacktooth Ridge - The Finale!

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Assault on Blacktooth Ridge - The Finale!

Post by Tadhg »

My gaming group finally completed this module after many months of action and adventure. The final battle in the lower caverns of the Vargolg was fantastic. The ghost naga was an awesome adversary for the PCs. He had them spooked to the max. I had all the caverns contain pools of water that the naga would explode out of, in addition to playing cat n mouse with the PCs. And he would ghost out and blow their minds when he would slide through a tunnel wailing and shrieking!!!
I also really played up the ceiling cave ins, so that they couldn't figure out what to do in many tunnels and rooms. At one point the party got split because of a tunnel/corridor cave in. Man it was excellent!

In the final battle, their best fighter got grabbed by the naga for some serious hurt. Constriction!!! Yep, he got some great squeezing for nice HP reductions.
Ultimately, the PCs prevailed, but every single one of their party sustained injury!

Since finishing, I've upgraded my rating of this module from 9.5 to 10!

Very well done, Trolls.

[I also used a little side trip from a post by Davis on the old site, about the PCs finding the armor, sword and signet ring that belonged to Clement's son Dramond, who died fighting orcs east of Blacktooth Ridge!

So when the PCs returned to Botkinburg and presented these items to the old Baron, he was started out of his senility and greatly moved. The son Volkmar now looks upon the PCs with great favor.

Our fighter is looking to build a country estate in Malforten and so Volkmar is looking for some support/allies in building his power base in Botkinburg. He has made the fighter and other adventures, Friends of the Realm]

Rhu.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Sounds like a blast, I plan on running this one day, hope things go as well for me and my group.

meepo

Post by meepo »

This ones on the slate next, after Rising Knight wraps up. Good to hear it worked out for your group so well!

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

And a good time was had by all!

That was very clever with those cave-ins, especially separating the group.

The Ghost Naga is a clever monster. Very good for evoking Hudson (from Aliens) moments.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
And a good time was had by all!

That was very clever with those cave-ins, especially separating the group.

The Ghost Naga is a clever monster. Very good for evoking Hudson (from Aliens) moments.

Thanks. Davis made it fun and easy to use the material!

Aside: Aliens is one of my all time favorite movies. And almost every character in it, has memorable lines - especially Hudson!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Assault on Blacktooth Ridge - The Finale!

Post by Troll Lord »

Rhuvein wrote:
So when the PCs returned to Botkinburg and presented these items to the old Baron, he was started out of his senility and greatly moved. The son Volkmar now looks upon the PCs with great favor.

Our fighter is looking to build a country estate in Malforten and so Volkmar is looking for some support/allies in building his power base in Botkinburg. He has made the fighter and other adventures, Friends of the Realm]

Rhu.

You see Todd, Mac and Chris????? You don't HAVE to pick a fight with teh Baron?!?!?!?!!?

LOL

Thanks fo rthe good word. We still haven't finished the damned thing!
Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Nym

Post by Nym »

Glad to hear it went well, Rhu. My group didn't hit on half the stuff in it, so I"m planning to throw some of those pieces in at a later time, if I ever get the CK reins back again.

On a cathedral or a church,

Where, mid ecclesiastic style,

He smiles an early-Gothic smile.

-Oliver Herford

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Woohoo! Glad to hear the ghost naga was fun. I love hearing how creatures get used.

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

Does anyone know what that " magic mouth piece" does, I think we found it with the Gnolls in the Valgog ( sp).

Imp

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ChaosImp wrote:
Does anyone know what that " magic mouth piece" does, I think we found it with the Gnolls in the Valgog ( sp).

Imp

Hmm, good question. My group retrieved this and the other stuff from that room, but I don't recall coming across the matching instrument after that. It wasn't in Return to Assault on Blacktooth Ridge either.

So, it either got edited out or perhaps may make an appearance in an upcoming module.

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Gracious me. Hopefully they have kept the mouth piece. It is part of a great magic iitem that will be very useful in A13 (which Steve is actually piddling with). The parts of it can be found along the way.

At the end of the Hobbit Gandolf and Frodo are having a conversation. Frodo is talking aboput luck and stuff (I can't remember the exact words as it has been many years since i read the hobbit - something i used to do on a yearly basis). Gandolf mentions as an aside that perhaps it was not luck at and intimates that it was all by design for Frodo is just a small person in big world.

Much the same is here. Even if the chracters don't know (shouldn't) there is a desgn and ultimate reason for them finding the mouthpiece.

That is, if you believe in those things.

Davis

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

Thanks for the info Davis I'll remember to keep it.

IMP

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

cleaverthepit wrote:
A13

I'm assuming that's a killer A dungeon there...

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Julian Grimm wrote:
I'm assuming that's a killer A dungeon there...

Gotta be. The Grande Finale! The Big Kahuna!

Final book/adventure in the series, 180 pages of Aufstrag, Unklar's citadel of command!!!

Reading the product description gives me goosebumps. That book is SO going to kick ass!

Heh, and several of the just prior, in the series, modules look rockin' as well.

Can't wait.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

*chuckles* Austfrag might be more than 180 pages. The maps alone are going to have to be massive in order to get what Steve wants.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

gideon_thorne wrote:
*chuckles* Austfrag might be more than 180 pages. The maps alone are going to have to be massive in order to get what Steve wants.

Yes, "might be more than 180 pages"!!

Yes, "maps"!

Yes, "massive"!

Yes, "what Steve wants"!

Yes, Peter Bradley at the helm!

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Aufstrag has no page limit. When Steve is done, its done. Whether it is 6 pages of 400. Steve can be verbose and when the two of us get together its horrible.

Anyway, we are in the design phase. The place is huge so much of it will not have anything other than a general description such as. "this area is a series of storerooms." I mean really, the place is vast.

There are many dsign issues to consider. Boxed set, hard back etc - as always.

davis

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I've pointed out that the scale of maps for this thing are going to require several large (18x24) maps for the involuted levels.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I won't complain until I actually have to pay for it. As long as I go "Ooooohh!! Hot Damn!!" and other similiar epitaphs when I get it I won't complain anymore.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.