The Golden Familiar

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

The Golden Familiar

Post by Tadhg »

So anyone have any thoughts on this bonus adventure included with the CK screen?

I think it's great. A well written interesting story/adventure with a good mix of challenges and monsters. Set in Aihrde (or any campaign setting), it can fit in with your current game in the Blacktooth Ridge/Castle Zagyg area.

In search of an amazing relic, The Cup of Blue, you and your group will assault/explore and fight your way up the road along a citadel with a castle atop and if you're lucky, enjoy the fruits of your reward.

This module is a worthy and well received addition to the excellent line of Castles and Crusades modules. Highly recommended!

Enjoy!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I havn't read it yet, but I wonder if this mod is some thing completely new, or was this an adventure idea/hook presented in one of the earlier d20 TLG mods? Some thing about what Rhu describes seems familair. Hmm.

................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jungger

Post by Jungger »

I have just recently acquired this module and it has really captured my imagination.

At present, I am CKing both of my brothers thru Temple of Elemental Evil, one bro using four characters and the other using three. After the Moat House I am planning a brief departure from ToEE in the hopes of getting a few more friends involved for Golden Familiar and have them run a few characters each. So, there could be 15-16 characters storming the fourteen gates. The challenge will be to modify the module accordingly without it being too easy or difficult.

Just a great module and looks like a lot of fun.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

After reading it, I give the Golden Familar a . I paln on trying to fit this into mt BTR campaign. A paladin of St. Luther is in the party so a quest for the Cup of Blue, would be an easy plot hook.

Outsider73

Post by Outsider73 »

I just got this on Monday and haven't read the entire adventure yet... but wow! From what I've read so far, I would love to get a shot at running the Golden Familiar.

The screen was nice too.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

I perhaps shouldn't be adding this post, since I haven't actually read the adventure (at Jungger's request ), but I did want to add that I consider this another quality notch in Troll Lords' belt. The fact that a free handout is getting this much postive response when The Other Company's glossed-up stuff seems to be so much "meh" material speaks volumes about how much simply caring about what you're doing can make a difference.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Telhawk wrote:
I perhaps shouldn't be adding this post, since I haven't actually read the adventure (at Jungger's request ), but I did want to add that I consider this another quality notch in Troll Lords' belt. The fact that a free handout is getting this much postive response when The Other Company's glossed-up stuff seems to be so much "meh" material speaks volumes about how much simply caring about what you're doing can make a difference.

Well said. The Trolls are brilliant IMO, with regard to not only the game, but the modules. New ones, old ones, free ones, PDFs for a $1.00!!
Man you can't lose any which way.

How about Lion in the Ropes? I believe this was one of their best selling mods and you can get the C&C version for FREE!!!

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

nope. haven't had a chance to read it yet. my flgs is 2+ months now waiting for the "distributors" to get a copy of it....

I suspect it wont happen...

[slight rant]

why is it so hard to get stuff from TLG into Canada? no other game company, vendor or online store has ever given me (and TLG) such problems in getting product into customers hands. first I tried ordering exclusively direct from TLG - and the postal service kept losing deliveries, and I felt bad seeing TLG continiously eat their profits by resending me packages - so I tried the flgs route... and now distributors are not getting product.... I'm at a total and complete loss

[/slight rant]

Cheers,

J.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

As a fellow Canadian... I can sure sympathize but here is a suggestion that might help out a bit.

With our current Canadian to American dollar exchange rate, it is actually possible to order stuff from select locations in the US and not spend much more money doing so. If you plan it right, you might break even after you factor in shipping costs.

Using the PHB or M&T books as examples. The US cover price is $19.95 compared to the Canadian cover price of $23.99

If you order from Noble Knight Games for example, they reduce the US price by a couple of dollars. Taking that into account, you're looking at $17.95 USD which (with current exchange rate at XE.com) becomes $20.02 CDN. Now keep in mind that the CDN cover price does not include the GST which brings that same book to $25.43 !!!

So all in all you have a saving of more than 5 dollars. However, this is what will help cover the shipping. If you ordered only one book and chose Global Priority Envelope... it would cost you about $3.50 CDN more than it would cost you in stores anyway. Not too bad.

In order to truly break even, you're going have to buy more than one thing. Pick up a couple of C&C mods to fit in that envelope because the shipping price is the same for this method.

Most C&C modules at Noble Knight Games are priced at $7.95 instead of the $8.95 cover price. The Canadian cover price is around the $10 range plus the GST.

So... for a total of $41.80 USD ... you get shipped to your door within a week, a hardback and two modules. With the current exchange rate, $46.62 CDN. For the same stuff at cover (list) price, you'd be paying $46.63 CDN in stores after the GST.

Of course, if ordering larger amounts (more than one envelope's worth), play with the Airmail Letter Post -- it will still get to you in a week and may be less expensive then doing multiple global priority envelopes. Play around and it will be rewarding. Best thing is... aside from Credit Cards, they also do other payment methods such as paypal.

The other great thing is if you're ordering stuff for other people in your gaming group. Hell, splitting a shipping charge amongst other people is a good thing and you might even end up saving money in the end.

The only problem is having to wait for them to get the item you're looking for and waiting to order a few things in order to make it worth your while. So far I'd have to say that I've bought 75% of my C&C stuff in this manner and a bunch of stuff for my friends on top of that. Noble Knight Games hasn't let me down.

What can I say... I'm also a Canadian whose LGS also suffers from poor distribution at times. Hope this helps!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Don't get me going on the exchange rate from the UK. Bastards rake me over the coals with their almost double value.... I hate it. Good news: it usually gets here in like three days, but it takes up to two weeks from Canada at times. Lame.

Anyway, I read over the adventure, and its cool for what it is. I don't have a space for it in my games, but I can milk some usefulness from it.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

Thanks for the advise Moriarty, I just might have to give it a try. I've been hesitant in the past to go this route, because it *seemed* somehow to be cheating or denying TLG in some manner their just rewards *shrug* but I suppose it's still going through normal distribution channels so it's all good.

frustrating that the largest trading partners in the world can't seem to get a couple of books across the border without messing things up. Wonder what would happen if it was oil betcha they'd get it fixed lickety split!

Cheers,

J

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Quote:
[slight rant]

why is it so hard to get stuff from TLG into Canada? no other game company, vendor or online store has ever given me (and TLG) such problems in getting product into customers hands. first I tried ordering exclusively direct from TLG - and the postal service kept losing deliveries, and I felt bad seeing TLG continiously eat their profits by resending me packages - so I tried the flgs route... and now distributors are not getting product.... I'm at a total and complete loss

[/slight rant]

I feel your pain, man; I don't know whether it's the result of disgruntled postal employees, Federal policy makers who can't find their own butts with both hands and a flashlight, or demonic possession, but Troll Lords seems to regarded as the Balrog by Canadian Postal authorities - "You shall not pass!" My conversations with the actual people at TLG indicate that they're just as frustrated and out of sorts about it as we are; they're still doing their best to try and find a way around the current blockade. At one point, the fellow I was speaking to indicated that they actually have an easier time sending the stuff to Poland than they do to Canada (I suggested that they might want to send all Canadian deliveries to Poland first, then have it redirected to Canada; the TLG fellow ruefully replied that they'd been seriously considering that).

The route of best recourse at this stage seems to be to contact Troll Lords directly, and place the order over the phone - with the personal touch, and the new delivery system they've been trying, the orders now seem to take roughly about a week before they make it to the Canadian delivery point. In Toronto, I also want to very highly recommend Crossed Swords (at Jane and Annette). They have a very good list of available material, limited only by what their distributor currently has on hand - and they've also been pretty good about getting the stuff that's not currently in stock sent over ASAP.

Gods above willing, the current postal idiocy that either/both countries are experiencing will end sometime in the very near future. In the interim, as previously stated, I strongly recommend working with Troll Lords personally in order to sidestep any potential land mines.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

ya... I've been speaking the the Trolls off and on for a couple of years now, as the trials and tribulations of postal delivery on the continent are exposed
the problem with the FLGS route, currently, is that I cannot get the ckg screen, because no Canadian distributors carry the ckg screen, and will not carry it for "small orders" or something like that... basically, they wont pick up the screen, thus the flgs has no recourse but to wait until enough demand is established to get the distributors to stock the product... like I said, 2 months and counting.

I've always wanted to support the Trolls financially as best I can, thus I traditionally tried to buy direct, however, with approx a 1/2 dozen orders going missing, or taking such a bloody long time that I had to get them investigating what's going on - the cost/effort ratio just isn't there any more, and I feel horrible knowing that margins are so slim and they are shipping on their dime yet another order to me to fulfill their obligation - I appreciate it no doubt - but it's not sustainable.

I might try the noble knight route, as long as the trolls don't get screwed out of any $$ with these discount places.

Cheers,

J.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

jman5000 wrote:
I might try the noble knight route, as long as the trolls don't get screwed out of any $$ with these discount places.

Cheers,

J.

Noble Knight is fine. As much as TLG benefits from folks ordering direct, I know Steve and Davis both would tell you to use the method that gets what you want in your hands by the most effective means.

Thinking in the long term, the more people who end up with what they ordered, by whatever means, the more the fan base spreads. And likely the more fans the more stores up in canada can then order deeply for products and end up solving the 'small order' problem. ^_^

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

dcs

Post by dcs »

jman5000 wrote:

NKG probably gets their new stuff from a distributor, so TLG gets paid the same whether you order from NKG or your FLGS (i.e., about 40% of cover price). NKG can charge less than an FLGS because they don't have to maintain shelf space.

Lord Tryon
Mist Elf

Post by Lord Tryon »

No sense starting a new thread on this module. What levels are really appropriate for it. On the website it says this:

The Golden Familiar is an adventure for 4-8 characters of 3rd to 6th level with a challenge level of 3-4. It is easily playable in any ongoing campaign or setting.

In the module itself it says challenge level 2-3 and it is for 4-8 1st-3rd level characters.

So Which is it. I just picked up the C&C books and have not run the game yet so I cannot really gauge the adventure well enough to tell.

It looks like fun but don't want a TPK if I send in lower level characters.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I would say about levels 3-4. IMHO it is too much for 1st level PCs, and 6th level PC would find it too easy.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Definitely forget about the challenge level thing, you will need about 4 players who average 4th level. I can see this one being a little bit too simple with 5th level characters, but I havn't played it or run it.

........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Challenge levels in C&C just refer to what range you should modify their checks when they roll saves and such.

As for level only first levels should do this mod if you have a large group. Meaning the 8. If you have 4 have them be level 3 or 4.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

some silly little attention to detail gripes with this one. good module though

authors are different between 1st page and OGL license section 15

player levels are different between 1st page and pg. 5

quick, without peaking, where can a CK find the complete writeup of an Ungern to play them correctly?

Quick, without peaking, where can a CK find the complete writeup of an Hlobane Goblin?

Quick, without the Ungern writeup, and the way that the Monster stats are written, would any new CK know that Ungerns have SR, why is that not part of the monster stats?

The pit trap on pg 14, during a failed dex roll, you can fall off of the bridge and possibly break bones. What happens if you break bones, do they heal normally with magic or is there something different? what penalties do you get for broken bones? I like adding flavour but this is adding damage mechanics which no rules cover? it's inconsistent and jarring, and bound to cause arguments with players.

not sure of scale, but 7th gate (pg 11) talks about climbing the cliff, that it's gentle and if you fail your dex check, you only take 1/4 damage. looking at the map, the total distance to be climbed is somewhere between 200-300 feet. not sure the Trolls remember their falling damage, because firstly, that climb would require between 20-30 rolls and secondly, falling from max height would be 1d6+2d6+3d6+...300d6, so even with 1/4 damage, you're dead. statistically, with that many rolls, everyone will fail at this recommended level.

Trolls, pg 13, what is this about Trolls rooting to the ground. no mention of that in the M&T. shouldn't that get it's own writeup at the back of the mod?

ungern pg 7 show that they each carry a +1 chain coat, AC 16

Ungern pg 10 & 16, no +1 shirt but AC 16

anyway, there are others. this is a fun mod though, I could see this being a really great adventure to put a group though. different, challenging and forces them to think. I would have liked to have seen an adventure in a "core" product that is 100% BTB. having to force other CK's to puchase other modules to get writeups of monsters, and incorrect rules isn't right.

Cheers,

J.