Adventure ideas – Gaslight & Urban

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Adventure ideas – Gaslight & Urban

Post by Lurker »

So, my girls and their friend decided they want their October one off to be a gaslight era urban setting adventure. I am running them through a Call of Cthlulu / Delta Green game every 4 th adventure, so they know the CoC system, and I have the Gaslight rules for it, so that will more than likely be the system I use for the game so they don't have to learn a new game mechanic.

Now for their Call of Cthlulu / Delta Green game every 4 th adventure, t.he one they will have finished by October will be set in St Louis, with its caves etc and sewers, and have the bad guys being a mix of ratlings and humans all worshiping an ancient Mesopotamian vermin and plaque goddess. I'm also pulling in some ghouls (Lovecraft version) with them being in a losing fight against the cult and possible allies for the group. This brings in some DG history lore for the group.

With that, I don't want to use a cult, ratlings/wererats, or ghouls for the one off.

I've been binge watching Sherlock and Jack the Ripper to help get the feel.

I'm leading them along with it being a 'Sherlock Investigation' game (with them playing CoC/DG & Traveller they have gotten addicted to investigation and heist missions), but with it being 'the October one off' it HAS to be horror.

Now, what ideas for bad guy opponent(s) should I use. What adventure ideas do you all have for an urban gaslight adventure ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Adventure ideas – Gaslight & Urban

Post by Go0gleplex »

CLOCKWORK!!! Steam powered wind-up minions of metal, vacuum tubes, and zappy claws. The Clockwork King is carving out a kingdom within the city...both from the underworld (taking out rival gangs) and rightful gentry, etc. Bank robberies, murders, and random vandalism for parts & materials.
His 'castle' is an old abandoned industrial complex, once an arms manufacturing plant during the War. A direct assault is suicidal...but the sewers, while dangerous, offer a viable approach for infiltration of the demesnes.

The Clockwork King himself is now an amalgamation of gears, gizmos, weapons, and flesh powered by capacitors (his weakness) and capable of tapping into the electrical grid built into his lair...all ran by a steam plant (strategic target - destroy and no more recharge).
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

Mod note: I've moved the thread out of the C&C channel to the Judges Keep which is the general non-SIEGE advice channel.

Thanks.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

Lurker wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:23 am
Now, what ideas for bad guy opponent(s) should I use. What adventure ideas do you all have for an urban gaslight adventure ?
Have you got the Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes book, "Sherlock by Gaslight" - that might scratch your itch for both things!

I like the clockwork idea. Doctor Who has had a few episodes since the reboot with clockwork people, notably the Madam Pompadore in Space episode. Worth a watch for ideas!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Another idea: Alien Plant in a nearby swamp. Infests victims and sends them out to procure more to devour and infest, building its invasion force. Kidnapping / Disappearances have the cops on edge. Add in sightings of some swamp monsters (infested with significant plant growth showing) and the whole community is just a jump scare away from martial law and curfews.

Gotta track 'em down and catch 'em all before it becomes day of the Triffids.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Bifford wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:58 pm
Lurker wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:23 am
Have you got the Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes book, "Sherlock by Gaslight" - that might scratch your itch for both things!

I like the clockwork idea. Doctor Who has had a few episodes since the reboot with clockwork people, notably the Madam Pompadore in Space episode. Worth a watch for ideas!
I had never heard of that game. Not sure I want a new system to learn/teach the group a new system. However, it might have some good ideas to mine for an adventure. I'll have to give it a look see.
Go0gleplex wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:09 am
CLOCKWORK!!! Steam powered wind-up minions of metal, vacuum tubes, and zappy claws. The Clockwork King is carving out a kingdom within the city...both from the underworld (taking out rival gangs) and rightful gentry, etc. Bank robberies, murders, and random vandalism for parts & materials.
His 'castle' is an old abandoned industrial complex, once an arms manufacturing plant during the War. A direct assault is suicidal...but the sewers, while dangerous, offer a viable approach for infiltration of the demesnes.

The Clockwork King himself is now an amalgamation of gears, gizmos, weapons, and flesh powered by capacitors (his weakness) and capable of tapping into the electrical grid built into his lair...all ran by a steam plant (strategic target - destroy and no more recharge).
My initial gut reaction was I don't like 'clockwork' unless it is a straight up gonzo steampunk setting (which can be fun). However, as I started thinking about it, one of my favorite non-Lovecraft CoC/DG campaigns is Kin in Yellow, and it is full of clock work things and IS NOT steampunk. I'm not sure I want to introduce my girls and their friend to the mind warping KiY at their age, but I might pull some ideas from it.
Go0gleplex wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:33 pm
Another idea: Alien Plant in a nearby swamp. Infests victims and sends them out to procure more to devour and infest, building its invasion force. Kidnapping / Disappearances have the cops on edge. Add in sightings of some swamp monsters (infested with significant plant growth showing) and the whole community is just a jump scare away from martial law and curfews.

Gotta track 'em down and catch 'em all before it becomes day of the Triffids.
Great minds think alike. However, it was a part of last year's Halloween one off. Make it fungus from a cave instead of plant from a swamp and you have the second part of last years 1 off.

I've been thinking about it, gothic horror requires isolation (even a small group can be alone and isolated). Gaslight is city, Victorian cities to be specific, over crowded dirty ... industrial revolution devouring rural poor to feed the mill of progress. You can be isolated in a mass of humanity when you are NOT in your home field. So, I can't allow them to be in their home city.

It includes a powerful otherworldly monster (ghost Vampire etc) and tragedy, and risk of loss of humanity .... now how to mush that into a city instead of a country side ruined castle. What is the monster(s) what is the tragedy ????
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

You could take a page outta film and go full MIMIC (giant man-eating humanoid cockroaches) on 'em if wanting the crowded unwashed dirty city horror vibe. Cross that with a bit of Dr. Moreau as a creator aspect...

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:01 pm
You could take a page outta film and go full MIMIC (giant man-eating humanoid cockroaches) on 'em if wanting the crowded unwashed dirty city horror vibe. Cross that with a bit of Dr. Moreau as a creator aspect...
It has been years since I saw Mimic, I'll have to give it a re-watch. If I remember correctly, there is a CoC adventure with something like that as the BBG. If it is the one I'm thinking about, it has a HUGE creep Ick value to it !

I forgot about Moreau. I love that book. I'll have to re-read it to get some inspiration. Maybe not for the one off, but for the CoC DG campaign.

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I have terrible nightmares sometimes (reason I abstain from the horror genre...no need to import other's psychosis on top of my own). Recently... corpses missing the top of their heads and brains have been discovered in a couple landfills. Further investigation sees they are within fairly close proximity to an asylum. An asylum that one of the bodies has managed to be connected to by a fringe theory police detective. By day, it's staff and patients are business normal. At night, within its depths, it is a abattoir of horrors as the asylum director and chiefs of staff conduct experiments with the brains they've removed...creating horrific abominations of flesh and machine. Could be adapted to creating rejuvenating treatments for those wealthy (and desperate) enough to afford it thru SCIENCE!!! (cue weird science theme)

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

For an interesting twist with ideas see "bodies" on Netflix.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.