Your dream campaign

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Ancalagon
Ulthal

Your dream campaign

Post by Ancalagon »

I saw this info over at DragonsFoot and thought it would make for some interesting discussion.

Scenario:

1. You have all the time in the world to prep
2. You have 4-6 players who will happily play whatever system and campaign you want
3. It's going to be a weekly game

What do you run?
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: Your dream campaign

Post by Persimmon »

Damn! That's a tough one because I have different ideas for different games.
I'll get the ball rolling by plugging my own Dark Heaven campaign, that I'm currently converting from AD&D to C&C. Right now I'm about 1800 pages into the latest rewrite/conversion. It's a massive apocalyptic high-level campaign that starts in my homebrew world, but then goes into other planes with the majority being a trek through the Underworld/Lower Planes. With only 4-6 players they'd be running around 3 PCs each as written. Back in college I ran sessions for groups as large as 20, though I think 8-10 players running 2 PCs each would be ideal for this. But I've also got ideas for published scenarios that I'll post later.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Those that have access to my Discord know I've absolutely no shortage of plot bunnies to draw on for a C&C game. But...someday I'd really like to run a C&C based version of Bug Hunters; exploring the ruins of an ancient colony of unknown origins. Given how deadly the setting is, troopers would have several clones in storage aboard their transport. Could be a fun tournament game too...hmmm (thinking).
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

As of TODAY :lol: I'd say the dream campaign would be either

1. A "Mythic Britain" game spanning 1189 CE - 1216 CE covering the reigns of Richard I and John. Lots of opportunity for action, RP, intrigue, politics, travel through Europe and, oh yeah, Outremere for some Crusades adventure. Wizardy type magic would be more on the rare side but still possible. Cleric miracles (aka spells) would be quite rare. For the game system, I'd most likely go with my heavily house ruled C&C. The vast majority of people in the campaign world are 0-level. PCs would eventually top out around 6th level which, by then, would make them quite famous!

2. AD&D in Greyhawk by linking a TON of the old modules with a healthy sprinkling of my own adventures such that PCs may eventually become actual Lords, High Priests, etc. with domains of their own to govern. I'd most likely go with a fair amount of house rules with this, too.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'd run Aufstrag (A13 - A17), but I'd scale back the challenge levels and so would have the player levels at 3rd or 4th!

These dungeon levels are some of the best I've ever seen!
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

This is an evil question because the answer is "We are legion!" :twisted:

There are oh so many !

I'll start with the short list of 'dream campaign(s) that despite looking great on paper ended up NOT working in the long run' . I ran a Masque of Red Death game modified for C&C some years back. I thought it would be a perfect mix of fantasy and horror with just enough gaslight tech to be different than normal fantasy. The games themselves were great, but as it went along it felt more and more like gaslight fantasy than horror. It was fun and if we would have kept going it would have stayed fun, but it was losing that touch of horror that made me want to start it in the first place.

Similarly, I ran (well am running) a Call of Cathlulu / Delta Green game for my girls and their friend. Again, like Masque of Red Death, on the long run it started to get more difficult to keep it horror. That said, and thanks to the ending of Masque, I was more ready for it, so we stopped playing DG every session and are coming back to it one adventure after 3 of our other games. That seems to work keeping it going as an ongoing campaign, but keeping the horror fresher .

Now the other game we are running (in the girls Face to face, and when the stars align in the Monday Night Ne'er-do-wells' ) is my home brew Traveller. It is a mash up of MGT v1 & v2 for the rules. The setting is a mash up of Traveller Imperium, Babylon 5, Rift's Manhunter, Blade Runner, and some sprinkles other popular sci fi influences.

Now for the dream campaigns that I am not running ....

For Sci Fi, another modified Traveller but the setting is more 'Traveller 2300' with space being explored only out to 50 parsecs or so. I'd pull in a lot of ideas from 'The Expanse' (except for the blue goo and associated gate travel).

For 'classic' fantasy .... A more Tolkienesk C&C game, rules heavily house ruled of course (it is me) and using the Middle Earth setting but modified some.

For something a little different from D&D/C&C type fantasy, I'd lean towards an early to middle bronze age Mythras/Rune Quest type game. I think I'd have to dial back the BtB Rune Quest 'everyone has magic' assumption of the game. However the idea of running a game in the time that cities (and city kings) were just starting to spread into when Egypt had just consolidated and Mesopotamia was the balance to Egypt's power has always intrigued me.

For something completely different, The Midnight setting (from Edge Studio) . As someone that loved to play knights and paladins back in the day, a setting where The Evil One won the war (I picture it if Sauron won ) and the players are surrounded by goblin and orc and necromantic etc etc overlords so they have to do the good but also stay unobserved sounds awesome !
Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm
As of TODAY :lol: I'd say the dream campaign would be either

1. A "Mythic Britain" game spanning 1189 CE - 1216 CE covering the reigns of Richard I and John. Lots of opportunity for action, RP, intrigue, politics, travel through Europe and, oh yeah, Outremere for some Crusades adventure. Wizardy type magic would be more on the rare side but still possible. Cleric miracles (aka spells) would be quite rare. For the game system, I'd most likely go with my heavily house ruled C&C. The vast majority of people in the campaign world are 0-level. PCs would eventually top out around 6th level which, by then, would make them quite famous!
... .
You are speaking my language there ! I LOVE historic(ish) setting and yes that has to be one of the most interesting ones for games. If you do run it, I hope you have room at your table for a wondering Okie every once in a while ;)

With you calling dibs on that place/time, I'd say a 100 years War time campaign would be good too. Advance weapons and armor tech by 100 years, but other than that there would still be a ton of action intrigue politics etc making for great role playing etc. Or, taking a tangent, maybe a pre-Muslim expansion Byzantine / Silk Road setting.
Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm

2. AD&D in Greyhawk by linking a TON of the old modules with a healthy sprinkling of my own adventures such that PCs may eventually become actual Lords, High Priests, etc. with domains of their own to govern. I'd most likely go with a fair amount of house rules with this, too.
My version of that option would be Forgotten Realms Gray Box and some of the early 2e region books. ... You know, this should be up top of the list because it is a dream campaign I have already run. Back in the day high school and early military. But, it would be great to do again !
Tadhg wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 pm
I'd run Aufstrag (A13 - A17), but I'd scale back the challenge levels and so would have the player levels at 3rd or 4th!

Tadhg, you know, I have them (at least I think I do), but I haven't dug into them. I'll have to give them a look see!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Tadhg wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 pm

I'd someday like to run the whole A series, starting from A0 and finishing with Aufstrag, but Steve has to finish the damn thing. We ran through several of the A modules a couple years back, but got sidetracked with other things, around A7 or 8.

Now, however, I'm think of reviving that party to run through "The Hermit" once it drops.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'd run something similar to what Anacalgon referred to above. World of Greyhawk using many of the old 1E modules with other stuff (Frog God, Advanced Adventures, etc) thrown in.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

I want so badly to run the Masks scenario for CoC, but it involves such a huge time-sink for me as GM, and that's before even starting - you have to have read and digested the entire scenario before starting in order to do it justice and not be caught unaware during play.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Bifford wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:36 am
I want so badly to run the Masks scenario for CoC, but it involves such a huge time-sink for me as GM, and that's before even starting - you have to have read and digested the entire scenario before starting in order to do it justice and not be caught unaware during play.
Oooooooooo yeah that is a massive one ! Rgr on it being a huge time sink (to do it correctly). To run that (or Impossible Landscapes for Delts Green) would be my DM crowning glory !

I can't believe I missed one on my list. A Freeprot/Pirate game. That is one type of game I've always wanted to run but never have had a group to set sail with !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

Everyone shows up every week.
It's usually the same people every week.
Everyone understands the game and don't need to be constantly taught.

A game that is primarily episodic with some longer adventures that may go on for a two or three session. My best campaigns were the ones that were like episodic television.

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

AD&D - T1-4 (Temple of Elemental Evil) with B2 (Keep On The Borderland) tossed in followed up by I1 - Dwellers Of The Forbidden City and then I3-I5 Desert of Desolation. From their some of the S-series and then G1-Q1.

C&C - Sandbox in the Castle Zagyg setting, doubly so as the full Castle Zagyg is forthcoming. I've got the Yggsburgh campaign setting, Kuntz's Dark Chateau, as well as Castle Zagyg's Upper Works so more than enough, hopefully, to keep the players busy until the newer material comes into print.

And for both, I'd add in Gygax's Necropolis and/or Tomb of Horrors as the capstone to the campaign. :)
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

JediOre wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 9:20 pm
AD&D - T1-4 (Temple of Elemental Evil) with B2 (Keep On The Borderland) tossed in followed up by I1 - Dwellers Of The Forbidden City and then I3-I5 Desert of Desolation. From their some of the S-series and then G1-Q1.

C&C - Sandbox in the Castle Zagyg setting, doubly so as the full Castle Zagyg is forthcoming. I've got the Yggsburgh campaign setting, Kuntz's Dark Chateau, as well as Castle Zagyg's Upper Works so more than enough, hopefully, to keep the players busy until the newer material comes into print.

And for both, I'd add in Gygax's Necropolis and/or Tomb of Horrors as the capstone to the campaign. :)
Nice capstone at least Necropolis , (I'd be afraid to end it with the meat grinder that is Toh!), and it would fit with the desert adventures.

I modified Keep on the Borderland to have a Middle Earth feal, and spread out the monster caves to be in a separate location for each cave , but all within a day or 2 walk of each other (to get rid of the 'monster motel' feel of them ALL being jammed right there together) and used it to introduce my daughters' and their best friend to role playing. They loved it, and it was great seeing them adventure in the same adventure I played in so many years ago. So with that, GREAT choice !

C&C Society

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Lurker wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:35 am
JediOre wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 9:20 pm
Nice capstone at least Necropolis , (I'd be afraid to end it with the meat grinder that is Toh!), and it would fit with the desert adventures.

I modified Keep on the Borderland to have a Middle Earth feal, and spread out the monster caves to be in a separate location for each cave , but all within a day or 2 walk of each other (to get rid of the 'monster motel' feel of them ALL being jammed right there together) and used it to introduce my daughters' and their best friend to role playing. They loved it, and it was great seeing them adventure in the same adventure I played in so many years ago. So with that, GREAT choice !
Regarding Tomb of Horrors, I'll confess, I have my son and daughter in mind along with a good friend Zach and the mrs., aka JediWife. Zach is like Batman when it comes to anything regarding a mechanical trap, I've yet to get him with such, but magic still befuddles him. My son loves to play magic-users but his take is quite different from most the others I have played or DMed. He arms his magic-users with things like feather fall, divination spells, and just odd things that he uses to far better effect than should be. He is good at overcoming magical traps and is very cautious. The two of them make a great team up for traps while JediWife has a knack for puzzles and my daughter is showing an aptitude for thinking outside the box. Hence I think they have a fair shot at it.

I like your approach to the Caves of Chaos. The 'monster motel' never was a problem for me. As a youngster, logical placement was never a real concern of mine. Now-a-days, I envision the whole being under the loose control of the evil cleric at the top of the lair. I figure all the other beings in the complex pay some homage to the demon-thing being worshiped there so it keeps the various races from killing each other off while the evil cleric gives them permission to raid merchant caravans to 'release steam' if you will. The master plan is to take over the Keep itself. That is how my 55-year old self makes the Caves work in my mind. But I do like the Middle Earth feel approach.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"