Castles & Crusades Reforged?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
BASHMAN
Skobbit

Castles & Crusades Reforged?

Post by BASHMAN »

So I came back to the boards after a long absence because I saw something about an upcoming Kickstarter for Castles & Crusades: Reforged, which, among other things, has stripped out OGL material from it. I am looking forward to seeing the PDF (you can get it for free a couple days before their KS launches). But I am kind of curious what sorts of changes we might expect to see?
Basic Action Games Makers of BASH!: Ultimate Edition superheroic RPG and the Awesome Powers Omnibus companion. Also makers of Honor + Intrigue Swashbuckling RPG (and the Tome of Intriguing Options). Come visit us on Discord.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Castles & Crusades Reforged?

Post by Tadhg »

Hey there, Bashman ~ long time no see. Welcome back!

I'm looking forward to the KS.

All the best, Rhu.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Pat Payne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Pat Payne »

From what was said in another thread, it looks like the changes will be minimal and mostly geared towards getting rid of some D&D-specific nomenclature such as Magic Missile. The classes and races and attributes aren't changing, which is good to hear.

Chaotic Evil Funtime
Skobbit

Post by Chaotic Evil Funtime »

Pat Payne wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:12 am
From what was said in another thread, it looks like the changes will be minimal and mostly geared towards getting rid of some D&D-specific nomenclature such as Magic Missile. The classes and races and attributes aren't changing, which is good to hear.
i'm relieved to hear this. i got c&c books from a humble bundle a while back, would it still behoove me to read them now, before reforged comes out? or do you think it might be better to wait in case there might be significant rules changes?
chaotic evil for fun and profit

Marcus Aurelius
Ungern

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Chaotic Evil Funtime wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 am
Pat Payne wrote:
i'm relieved to hear this. i got c&c books from a humble bundle a while back, would it still behoove me to read them now, before reforged comes out? or do you think it might be better to wait in case there might be significant rules changes?
There are no rule changes. Rule mechanics cannot be I.P.
All the world's a stage so play TTRPGs.

Chaotic Evil Funtime
Skobbit

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:18 pm
Chaotic Evil Funtime wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 am
Pat Payne wrote:
There are no rule changes. Rule mechanics cannot be I.P.
Thanks for clarifying :D

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'm looking forward to it just because I am completely done with ALL THINGS WOTC.

I will not buy a new book from them and n more wizkids minis etc

I just wish I could get the few remaining ole Basic / 1e / 2e adventures or source/location pdfs that I haven't gotten without giving them any of my money.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I don't really need another CKG, PHB, or M&T so I'm skipping this one. But I've backed a bunch of other stuff recently and I'll certainly support Zagyg and other new material as it's released.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm with Persimmon on this one. I want to support the Trolls, but I can't justify another PHB/M&T/CKG.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

I'll likely just grab a PDF

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Lurker wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 1:58 pm
I'm looking forward to it just because I am completely done with ALL THINGS WOTC.
This.
Lurker wrote:
I will not buy a new book from them and n more wizkids minis etc.
And this.
Lurker wrote:
I just wish I could get the few remaining ole Basic / 1e / 2e adventures or source/location pdfs that I haven't gotten without giving them any of my money.
Aaaaand this.

:lol: 8-) :lol:

As for the Reforged books, since I already have many printings of the Big Three, I'll take a wait and see approach. I'll have the pdf of the PHB that was offered so will peruse it and see how the revamped terminology works.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Marcus Aurelius
Ungern

Back in Feb 2023 I told Stephen that if they redid the 3 books without the OGL I would repurchase them in hard cover. So, I'm in. Even if I hadn't promised I would just to have non Wanker's of the Coast books.

bulletmeat
Ungern

Post by bulletmeat »

Lurker wrote:

Yar har me matey! There's always an answer to getting what ya need without supporting bad habits of a non-moral company!

Me: "THE CAKE IS A LIE! THERE IS NO SPOON! WHAT IS THE RIDDLE OF STEEL?!"
Wife: "...I just want to know what you want for dinner."

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Will be funny to see what they do with monster names and such. Going to skip for now.
Magic missile= arcane arrow???
Should be fun.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Marcus Aurelius
Ungern

Captain_K wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:20 pm
Will be funny to see what they do with monster names and such. Going to skip for now.
Should be fun.
Magic missile will probably be Arcane missile. There are some monsters that will need name changes like the Owlbear maybe. But most use names that aren't copyrightable like mimic. Mephit is used by PF so probably is not under copyright.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Generic owlbear = Hoobear, denizen of the hundred-acre forest

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 11:36 pm
Captain_K wrote:
Should be fun.
Magic missile will probably be Arcane missile. There are some monsters that will need name changes like the Owlbear maybe. But most use names that aren't copyrightable like mimic. Mephit is used by PF so probably is not under copyright.
Emphasis mine.
Ugh. That would be pretty dull. Changing the spell names to something more evocative could add extra flavor to the game. I remember reading Dr. Strange back in the 80s and his standard attack spell was a Bolt of Bedevilment. IMO, that or something like that, just sounds more appealing than Arcane Missile. YMMV, of course.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

bulletmeat wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:31 pm
Lurker wrote:

Yar har me matey! There's always an answer to getting what ya need without supporting bad habits of a non-moral company!

I tend to avoid that, but when need and opportunity collide ..... plus, with the correct letter of marque from any of the numerous small OSR type game publishers, it would be a just attack on the evil monolithic WOTC
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Marcus Aurelius
Ungern

Ancalagon wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 3:06 am
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Captain_K wrote:
Should be fun.
Emphasis mine.
Ugh. That would be pretty dull. Changing the spell names to something more evocative could add extra flavor to the game. I remember reading Dr. Strange back in the 80s and his standard attack spell was a Bolt of Bedevilment. IMO, that or something like that, just sounds more appealing than Arcane Missile. YMMV, of course.
Don't get me wrong, these are simply MY guesses off the cuff. I have no idea what the names are. I know from Steve's live chat last night that the PHB is complete and being edited and the PDF will be released in days. Editing will continue for the HB version as they will have a full time editor on the 3 books

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Yes, I do hope they get their 1970s-early 80s thinking cap on and come up with some evocative and re-imaged names for things. Sort of, 'if Gygax and Co. HADN'T named X this, what would have been an alternative?' That would be neat to see.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 12:27 pm
Ancalagon wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 3:06 am
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Captain_K wrote:
Should be fun.
Emphasis mine.
Don't get me wrong, these are simply MY guesses off the cuff. I have no idea what the names are. I know from Steve's live chat last night that the PHB is complete and being edited and the PDF will be released in days. Editing will continue for the HB version as they will have a full time editor on the 3 books
Wow, an editor! We're not going to know how to act! :mrgreen:

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Arcane Arrows of Ablation.

Some of the Monsters are well done in Domedays.

But the trolls keep tight reigns on all things creative.

Still waiting on our module to be completed... It's the slow simmer pot way on the back most burner.

They claim they will finish... 10 years? I hope I am still alive!

Cheers!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Marcus Aurelius
Ungern

Captain_K wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:57 pm

They claim they will finish... 10 years? I hope I am still alive!
???????????

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Just downloaded my PDF! Evaluating

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

So far it really looks like the usual with the serial #'s filed off.

"Magi's Missile".. Thank kind of stuff

Chaotic Evil Funtime
Skobbit

the art in reforged is so wonderful. i'm scrolling around, looking at every single page. i love it!

MythicGalea
Skobbit

Post by MythicGalea »

Hey I wanted to ask the TrollLords about this OGL-Free Version -- I was fully expecting there to be a replacement license to the OGL; I was not prepared for there to be NO license. I was working on releasing something a rulebook that relies on Castles & Crusades so I'm kind of glad that there is still an OGL version I can refer to and release stuff for. Is there any provision for third-party publishers to use Castles & Crusades or are we restricted to using the OGL if we want to release our own stuff?

Marcus Aurelius
Ungern

MythicGalea wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:47 am
Hey I wanted to ask the TrollLords about this OGL-Free Version -- I was fully expecting there to be a replacement license to the OGL; I was not prepared for there to be NO license. I was working on releasing something a rulebook that relies on Castles & Crusades so I'm kind of glad that there is still an OGL version I can refer to and release stuff for. Is there any provision for third-party publishers to use Castles & Crusades or are we restricted to using the OGL if we want to release our own stuff?
For C&C material you want to release contact the trolls. If only using the rules, for any game, no license is needed.

Marcus Aurelius
Ungern

The term disposition has replaced alignment.

A quick reading shows: Create Water changed to Create Sustenance (water only), Delay Poison changed to Delay Toxin. Etc., etc.

As I thought, just some name changes that have zero in game effects.

Pat Payne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Pat Payne »

I took a skim through it last night, and here are my thoughts:

1. The art is awesome. I love the new artwork!
2. The changes, as I guessed, are minor but still noticeable. The biggie is in alignment/disposition. I think it's great that they broke away from the "x/y" axis model of the classic nine alignments to allow the player to give more weight to one side of the equation or the other (I.E. Law/Good and Good/Law being subtly different from each other rather than being just all one unified "Lawful Good").
3. That being said, a lot of the spell names seemed to be just change for change's sake. "Bestow Water"? I'm not sure even WotC would consider "Bless Water" a hill they wanted to die on, if something like that could even be claimed as OGL language. Others like "Magic Missile" were certainly necessary, but quite a few I think were just one step more than the Trolls really needed to go.