Lego D&D

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Fizz
Lore Drake

Lego D&D

Post by Fizz »

I've been using Lego Castle figures and sets for D&D adventures since the 90's, but for the first time Lego now actually has a specific licensed D&D set, based on the recent movie. Includes monsters of dragon, displacer beast, beholder, and (my favorite) gelatinous cube.

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/dung ... tale-21348

-Fizz

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Re: Lego D&D

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Interesting but I won't give WotC or Hasbro even a penny anymore.
All the world's a stage so play TTRPGs.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:04 pm
Agreed, and I haven't in quite some time. I do use legos and brick figures instead of minis though. There's some cool stuff out there.

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

maximus wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:23 pm
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Agreed, and I haven't in quite some time. I do use legos and brick figures instead of minis though. There's some cool stuff out there.
Yes, great resource for mini's if you have enough pieces.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Hmmm... while i get the senitiment and certainly won't defend or purchase WotC material, in this case they've done something good, imo. Most of the money goes to Lego anyways, i would think. So punish the bad, reward the good, perhaps.

That said, i have enough Lego that i'm not in need of purchasing such a set. I recently bought their re-envionment of the Castle set: ~4500 pieces! :)

-Fizz

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Fizz wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:58 am
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Hmmm... while i get the senitiment and certainly won't defend or purchase WotC material, in this case they've done something good, imo. Most of the money goes to Lego anyways, i would think. So punish the bad, reward the good, perhaps.

That said, i have enough Lego that i'm not in need of purchasing such a set. I recently bought their re-envionment of the Castle set: ~4500 pieces! :)

-Fizz
Naw, their history of anti-competitive business practices is MUCH larger than what happened a year ago. Thoroughly evil. It took 46 States in Fed court to stop them earlier in this century

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:19 pm
Naw, their history of anti-competitive business practices is MUCH larger than what happened a year ago. Thoroughly evil. It took 46 States in Fed court to stop them earlier in this century
Hrmm.... I am not familiar with this. Do you have a news source or article about it? When i do a search of "Hasbro business practices" all i find is the opposite- that they've actually won awards for being among the most ethical companies for many of the last dozen years.

-Fizz

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Fizz wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 pm
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:19 pm
Hrmm.... I am not familiar with this. Do you have a news source or article about it? When i do a search of "Hasbro business practices" all i find is the opposite- that they've actually won awards for being among the most ethical companies for many of the last dozen years.

-Fizz
Look for State attorney Generals lawsuit hasbro. You'll probably find it that way. Our company had a large international I.P. law firm on retainer for about 2 million a year and I got a briefing on it in 2000. So probably happened a year or two before that. About 40 states sued them for anti competitive business practices (anti trust law). Each state won between 6 and 50 million from Hasbro I think.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm
Look for State attorney Generals lawsuit hasbro. You'll probably find it that way. Our company had a large international I.P. law firm on retainer for about 2 million a year and I got a briefing on it in 2000. So probably happened a year or two before that. About 40 states sued them for anti competitive business practices (anti trust law). Each state won between 6 and 50 million from Hasbro I think.
Well, i found this:
https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1998/1 ... tles-suit/

Only $6 million, so pretty small settlement for a company their size. And it was the better part of 30 years ago, and the company is probably run by entirely different people now. So i'm not inclined to judge a company now by what they did a quarter century ago, especially when for the last dozen year they've been listed as one of the most ethical companies (https://www.wargamer.com/dnd/hasbro-most-ethical-2023).

That doesn't mean i agree with their (admitted) mistakes of a year+ ago or that i want to play 5e, by any means. :)

-Fizz

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Fizz wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm
Marcus Aurelius wrote:

Only $6 million, so pretty small settlement for a company their size.

-Fizz
Reread the last sentence in what I wrote. :roll:

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 pm
Fizz wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Each state won between 6 and 50 million from Hasbro I think.
Reread the article i sent. It says $6 million total, not $6 million to each state. :roll:
For example, they cite what Florida received, $191000 in toys and $127000 in cash.

And here's another example: Georgia received $97000 in toys and another $65000 in cash.
https://law.georgia.gov/press-releases/ ... rust-probe

No where can i find a reference that Hasbro paid out $6-50 milion to each state.

Now, the $50 million to which you refer appears to have been the settlement with Toys-R-Us; they appear to have been the real culprits in this. But again, it's a total, not to each state (it specifies California's share at $3.9 million). Regardless, we're talking about Hasbro's behavior here, not Toys-R-Us.
https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releases/ ... -companies

It was all an interesting read though. I'd never known about it.

-Fizz

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Fizz wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 pm
Fizz wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Each state won between 6 and 50 million from Hasbro I think.
Reread the article i sent. It says $6 million total, not $6 million to each state. :roll:
For example, they cite what Florida received, $191000 in toys and $127000 in cash.

And here's another example: Georgia received $97000 in toys and another $65000 in cash.
https://law.georgia.gov/press-releases/ ... rust-probe

No where can i find a reference that Hasbro paid out $6-50 milion to each state.
It's COMPLETELY irrelevant what you can or cannot find online from the 90's. Most items from the time period and before don't exist online. Hell, 50% of things I saw on news 15 years ago aren't online now. And Google has a crap index for anything that doesn't bring it ad revenue that is old.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am
It's COMPLETELY irrelevant what you can or cannot find online from the 90's. Most items from the time period and before don't exist online. Hell, 50% of things I saw on news 15 years ago aren't online now. And Google has a crap index for anything that doesn't bring it ad revenue that is old.
If it's so irrelevant then why in your earlier post did you tell me to search for it? And for the record, i didn't use Google to find it. I searched using DuckDuckGo. :)

-Fizz

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

Let's not argue over this guys, it isn't worth it.

Mod hat, off.

Bifford

Tero_thor
Skobbit

Post by Tero_thor »

As long as it's constructive and without insults and no friendships get ruined after this conversation I think it's healthy to express our points of view