Protection from Alignment

Where CKs swap ideas and players figure out what's coming.

Moderator: Keeper Advice Moderators

maximus
Lore Drake

Protection from Alignment

Post by maximus »

Protection from Alignment says this: "The spell can also block any attempt to possess the warded creature or to exercise mental control over the creature by creatures of any alignment. The protection does not prevent casting a spell that gains mental control, but it prevents the
caster of such a spell from mentally commanding the protected creature."

Does this prevent any type of Charm or Suggestion from taking affect?

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Re: Protection from Alignment

Post by DMSamuel »

Yes, I would say it prevents that spell from affecting the Protected target.
~DMSamuel
---

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Note that a protection from alignment spell only lasts for 3 rounds per level while a charm person, for example, lasts for 1 hour per level... as soon as that protection spell wears off, the target is subject to the charm. Command is only 1 round, so it will end before the protection does. Suggestion is also 1 hour per level, so you have the same issue as with charm.
~DMSamuel
---

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I would argue that one Sam. While the spell duration is 1 hr/level for charm that only applies if it was effective on the target at the time of its casting. If the target has the alignment protection in effect at the time of initial casting, the charm fails utterly and the spell is toast. If the charm spell or ability is re-cast after the protection has expired...then the target is at risk. If the charm is already affecting the target, then you'd have the situation you were presenting relative to duration.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

The reason I said that about charm and suggestion is that the text of the Protection from Alignment spell, on page 173 of the PHB says this:
"The spell can also block any attempt to possess the warded creature or to exercise mental control over the creature by creatures of any alignment. The protection does not prevent casting a spell that gains mental control, but it prevents the caster of such a spell from mentally commanding the protected creature. If the protection ends before the mental control does, the caster would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature."

Given that paragraph, I would say that the charm doesn't fail automatically... it specifically says the spell is not blocked in any way, it's just that it isn't effective while the protection spell is active. BUT when the protection spell ends, then the charm can act upon the target.
~DMSamuel
---

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

The nature of the charm spell is that it takes effect at the casting Sam. The protection spell is the same as an automatic save or rather provides Spell Resistance, which, according to all versions of the charm spell, negates the spell at that time which makes the duration meaningless. Command is the same as is Hypnotism and Suggestion. SV: >attribute X< negates. SR: yes

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Sure... and I don't disagree with you and would probably rule it that way. BUT I could see another CK deciding to do something interesting with the protection spell effects as per the rules as written. My goal is to give the original poster enough information to make a solid decision. I think our conversation has done that.
~DMSamuel
---

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Good discussion, thanks guys. I ruled that the protection worked against the charm.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'd never thought of this before reading the thread, but could you use this to sever, or at least temporally damper, a possession or mental control of someone ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I think that would be up to the GM's decision pending their style of play and interpretation.