Trying to understand Demi-humans getting two primes from a designers perspective

Discuss the SIEGE engine, and SIEGE Engine games other than C&C, such as StarSIEGE, in this forum.
MythicGalea
Henchman

Trying to understand Demi-humans getting two primes from a designers perspective

Post by MythicGalea »

To elaborate, I’m trying to understand from a designers perspective the limitation of demi-humans getting two primes as opposed to humans three. Am I right in drawing a comparison to demi-human level limitations from older editions of D&D?

Merely curious.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Re: Trying to understand Demi-humans getting two primes from a designers perspective

Post by anvil242 »

I always thought the human's 3rd prime was compensation for the demi-humans stat boosts and innate abilities

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Trying to understand Demi-humans getting two primes from a designers perspective

Post by Go0gleplex »

I believe it's a nod to popular trope and literature. Most demi-humans tend to be longer lived than humans and therefore had less drive to learn and achieve given they have plenty of time to do so, so there's no rush whereas humans who live only a half dozen decades on average are have less time and are driven to achieve quickly. So humans, who strive to improve themselves get 3 Primes to reflect this vs the more easy going demi-humans. (in terms of game mechanics, anvil is pretty much correct.)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Very simple. In 1stEd AD&D Demi-human were limited in class and level vs. humans because they have special abilities humans don't have. 2 Primes vs. 3 for humans is just another way of adjusting for demi humans having more innate abilities than humans
All the world's a stage so play TTRPGs.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

It's a balancing mechanic to substitute for the evil of demihuman level limits.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.