Distributed "Thief" talents

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
paladinn
Ulthal

Distributed "Thief" talents

Post by paladinn »

So we all know that in C&C, a player adds the character's level to all rolls involving class abilities. For rogues, that especially includes all the classic "thief talents" like Climb, Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, Pick Pocket, etc. So a rogue will pretty much have the same success chance at all of them (discounting ability mods); and 2 rogues of the same level will mechanically be pretty much the same.

One of the things that I liked about AD&D2e was the ability to distribute thief skill percentages. A thief got a base number of percentage "points" at L1 that were distributed among the thief skills, with minimums and maximums. Afterward the same thing occurred: a thief got a pool of points at level-up, to be distributed as wished. So if a player wanted his/her thief to be Spider-Man, s/he could put a Lot of points into Climb. If s/he wanted to be a ninja, the same thing could be done with Hide or Silence. This was Not the same as the skill system that came with 3e; but it did allow for a bit of customization within the BTB abilities.

Has anyone done anything with this concept within C&C? Again, right now a L10 rogue would add 10 to every one of the talents. What if s/he wanted to be awesome at climbing and didn't care so much about traps?

How/might this be accomplished in C&C?

Fizz
Lore Drake

Re: Distributed "Thief" talents

Post by Fizz »

See the following thread (which you started, i might add... :) ):
viewtopic.php?p=261475

-Fizz

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Not quite the same thing. In 2e, the 1e percentages were replaced by the distributed concept. I'm just pondering if/how to accomplish something similar in C&C.

I guess I would have to treat the thief talents separately than "normal" class abilities. Currently BTB, a rogue would basically get a "+1" to all the talents every level. At L1, each talent would have a +1 as BTB. The distributed concept would then give 8 "points" per level to be distributed among the 8 talents as desired. Maybe put a cap of +3 to any one talent per level.

This, I think, would get pretty close to the 2e model. And combined with my previous suggestion of opening up the 8 rogue talents to other such talents (like the assassin's disguise, or ranger's tracking, etc.), it could allow a lot of flexibility in whatever character concept.

Tinkering is fun :)

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

paladinn wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:45 am
Not quite the same thing. In 2e, the 1e percentages were replaced by the distributed concept. I'm just pondering if/how to accomplish something similar in C&C.

I guess I would have to treat the thief talents separately than "normal" class abilities. Currently BTB, a rogue would basically get a "+1" to all the talents every level. At L1, each talent would have a +1 as BTB. The distributed concept would then give 8 "points" per level to be distributed among the 8 talents as desired. Maybe put a cap of +3 to any one talent per level.

This, I think, would get pretty close to the 2e model. And combined with my previous suggestion of opening up the 8 rogue talents to other such talents (like the assassin's disguise, or ranger's tracking, etc.), it could allow a lot of flexibility in whatever character concept.

Tinkering is fun :)
Makes for a good house rule I think.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

paladinn wrote:
Which is exactly what i described in the other thread. :)

-Fizz

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Fizz wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:30 pm
paladinn wrote:
Which is exactly what i described in the other thread. :)

-Fizz
You're right.. mea culpa.

So would any of this cause a problem with anything else? I know the "all class abilities add level" is a part of core.

I guess the concept would work for rangers too; but they get fewer such "talents." Heck, in 2e they only got 2. Tracking was handled differently.

I'm starting to like bringing more 2e-isms into C&C. Specialty priests are in view:)

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

paladinn wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:41 pm
I'm starting to like bringing more 2e-isms into C&C. Specialty priests are in view:)
I use a lot of 2nd Ed material and ideas, including spheres. I sent you an early version of my C&C spheres doc about a year ago. :)
See viewtopic.php?t=17975

-Fizz

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Fizz wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:16 am
paladinn wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:41 pm
I use a lot of 2nd Ed material and ideas, including spheres. I sent you an early version of my C&C spheres doc about a year ago. :)
See viewtopic.php?t=17975

-Fizz
Thanks.. I've slept since then..

Didn't specialty priests also have other quirks/powers as well as their spheres?