New to C&C and Howdy !

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Geroblue
Mist Elf

New to C&C and Howdy !

Post by Geroblue »

I have skimmed the pdfs so far, I'll be reading them this weekend.

A bit about myself.Played Tunnels and Trolls solo in 1979. In January, 1980, we moved to another state of the US, and my siblings found Zocchi's warehouse. We played a few games. My siblings informed me on the way home one night, they felt I could do better. The following week I bought the 1e ad&d books, a couple of modules like B1, and some booklets on castles and villages. Dice and miniatures. We stopped gaming in fall of 1985.

I just got tired, and needed a break.

In 1999/2000, I found some mapping software. Bought it and I've been mapping ever since. According to my estimates... for whatever good those are, I have made approximately five thousand free maps. I made more, just this week. My website in my profile has no music, no popups, no banners, etc. No login of any type necessary. I think I have a good navigation menu. That navigation menu has the word 'Welcome' on it. Hover your mouse pointer over that, to see links to the rest of my mapping sites.

I'll be converting that website to C&C only. I either need a new keyboard, or I have been making lots of typos I have hopefully corrected.

The two modules I have are A3 and A4. Along with the knight pdf for starting out players. C&C Monsters and treasures, players handbook, and CK guide.

I'll walk through some scenarios with characters I roll up to get a feel for the game.

Any other suggestions ?

And thanks for your feedback !
My mind is backed up... somewhere. But probably not over the rainbow. More likely in another dimension.

If I post too much just let me know and I'll slow down.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Re: New to C&C and Howdy !

Post by Grandpa »

Welcome to the game. No other suggestions. You are fully equipped for C&C FUN!!!!!

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Welcome! I don't have any "starter" suggestions either, just that you should be prepared to be pleasantly surprised at how useful C&C will be with some of the materials you've undoubtedly collected over the years!

Were you out of TTRPGs entirely from '85 to 2000?
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Geroblue
Mist Elf

Post by Geroblue »

Mostly, yes. I did still go to a convention in Biloxi off and on over the years.

I was asked to run a game a couple of times. So I ran TOON games.

Another year I ran... a 1e ad&d game, with a mayor of a nearby town arriving in the starting town dressed as a clown, throwing creme pies at various people, and making balloon animals.

After I made that announcement to the players, one player got very upset and stomped off.

The rest had fun, and solved the problem. The portal to my TOON Universe went away, and everything went back to ad&d normal, with the exception of balloon animals bouncing along the ground from the slight breeze, and some creme pie cleanup that needed to be done.

About 1999 I found the mapping software, scanned my 5mm hexagon maps and started tracing them and started my first website.
My mind is backed up... somewhere. But probably not over the rainbow. More likely in another dimension.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

As others said, you've got the basics covered. Anything else is gravy. :)

Some of us have a lot of home rule/ home brewed stuff for our own campaigns and groups such as more classes, spells, items, monsters, races, etc. that can be found or such by asking around or searching. :)
I also have developed excel 2007 spreadsheets for Familiar by biome summoning and a C&C Character/Sheet generator which is about 85-90% fully automated (just need to make choices on pull downs and it fills things in...even rolls the dice with different methods available.)

We used to run what we called 'Commercial Dungeons' with my group back in the early 90's using 2e. :) Could do so even easier with C&C now.

A Commercial Dungeon was where we took characters that only appeared in TV commercials, did up stats for them, and then got ran thru a D&D adventure. I was running Mikey from the Life Cereal commercials (Fighter - special power: Immunity acquisition with spoonmail armor, a military salad fork, and giant two-handed butter knife...tended to like a lot of things, including taking damage)..but we had the Tidy Bowl Man (Summon Power Boat and Flush spells), Capt Crunch & his Crunch berry beast familiar (Cleric w/ big ol' mace), Mr. Clean (Sanitize, Purify, Destroy Dirt), and a couple others I don't remember off hand. It was an absolute riot sometimes. Like when the evil overlord was doing his monologue and the Tidy Bowl Man got bored and flushed him mid rant. :D
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Geroblue
Mist Elf

Post by Geroblue »

Commercial Dungeon... well, my players insist I don't use imagination level 3 as that gets into existentialism. They prefer me at a more ordinary level 1 or 2 level. Level 4 and 5 are right out.

Anyway, I've read through part of the player and CK pdfs. I can see where i might want to change things up. But that will be later on after Ive had a chance to run a few test situations to see if I understand the rules.

I do have some mapping projects I'm working on, some with other folks, so I'll probably feel comfortable running some test situations in February.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

I used to play Toon quite a bit - that game is one of the best tension relievers there is. If you want to just forget about everything else for a while, that'll do.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Lots of people here have seen and done it all, or at least fairly close to it. :)
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Geroblue
Mist Elf

Post by Geroblue »

I am still reading the pdfs... I'm sure I'll have questions after that. I have read some of the posts here, where game mechanics are discussed.

I've added 3 of my better maps to the Artist's Alley.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Geroblue wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:07 pm
I am still reading the pdfs... I'm sure I'll have questions after that. I have read some of the posts here, where game mechanics are discussed.

One of the great things about these forums is that the discussions stay pretty much focused on the games, not all that real world crap we play games to forget in the first place.

On a related note, I saw you referenced Biloxi. Do you still live in south Mississippi?
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Welcome to the fun!

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

Greetings program! :)

Geroblue
Mist Elf

Post by Geroblue »

Persimmon wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 pm
Geroblue wrote:

One of the great things about these forums is that the discussions stay pretty much focused on the games, not all that real world crap we play games to forget in the first place.

On a related note, I saw you referenced Biloxi. Do you still live in south Mississippi?
Nope, I moved a few hundred miles away.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Geroblue wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:49 pm
Persimmon wrote:
Geroblue wrote:

Bummer; I live in Hattiesburg and I'd love to put together a semi-regular C&C group beyond family members.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Geroblue
Mist Elf

Post by Geroblue »

Persimmon wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:17 am
Geroblue wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:49 pm
Persimmon wrote:
Geroblue wrote:

Bummer; I live in Hattiesburg and I'd love to put together a semi-regular C&C group beyond family members.
I've never been to HubCon in Hattiesburg so I don't know much about it. CoastCon in Biloxi is in March, first weekend this year. Last year i noticed some 1e games going on. I didn't look around the game room much, but it is huge and there were lots of games on Saturday.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hi.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Welcome to the forums and C&C!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Geroblue
Mist Elf

Post by Geroblue »

Howdy and thanks !