Codex Sinarum at Last!

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Codex Sinarum at Last!

Post by Persimmon »

I know I've been clamoring for an Oriental Adventures style supplement for C&C for about 6 years now and it seems that we're finally at least getting an Asian Codex, and it's for China, which is cool by me. I had heard rumors about a Korean one, but to me it makes more sense to do China first. More iconic heroes, deities, etc. that also profoundly influenced all the neighboring cultures. Still hoping we get Korea and Japan and India down the road. In fact I was also mildly surprised Japan didn't come first in the Asian settings given how much more love Japan gets compared to China in the rpg sphere.

Oh yeah, for those of you who didn't get the notice, the KS for Codex Sinarum launches on Sept. 23.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Codex Sinarum at Last!

Post by Go0gleplex »

Brian had said he was thinking of doing three...but I'm not sure how he was thinking of breaking them out. If he does China, Korea (a given considering his heritage), and Japan...then India, Thailand, Laos, and such may end up in other works. Then again, it may be China/Mongolia, Korea/Japan, Vietnam and neighbors...no telling. But yeah...definitely good to see happening finally.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I would LOVE to see a Mongolian / Steppe work.

I admit China & Japan must be made, it is the most know most common and therefore the ones everyone will buy. However, I've ALWAYS wanted a steppe / transoxiana one.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I've always loved reading about and researching the various steppe cultures as well. Not sure how that would fit in terms of game mechanics but it would be cool to see it. I do know that RPGPundit has something called Sword & Caravan for his system that is specifically about the Silk Road. I swore off new products for awhile, but I'm considering this one.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I still have my 2e Horde Boxed set, which has some interesting material, but I'm also considering "Sword & Caravan" because it looks to have some solid content that could easily be ported into my C&C game as I have a similar caravan route connecting the pseudo-European to the pseudo-Asian parts of my campaign setting. It might also work with the Swords & Chaos game. The hex maps of real world places also look pretty cool.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Gundoggy
Ungern

Post by Gundoggy »

Should be nice to have a focused book on Chinese material, unlike the "Japanese Adventures" book from 1E

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

This sounds awesome, but my campaign takes place in the Flanaess (World of Greyhawk). Not sure I would use this unless the party made its way far to the West of the current campaign area. Not sure I'm up to the task of prepping all that.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Wow, $15K funded! 11 days left

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

A few hours left on the Kickstarter. I think I'm in for the print and digital. I saw in the comments where Brian Young said the following:
The 'Codex Nihonica' and 'Codex Mongolica' both will help to fill in this gap too in their own way when brought together.
So it appears that Japan and Mongolia will be forthcoming at some point for this series!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

TheMetal1 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:15 pm
A few hours left on the Kickstarter. I think I'm in for the print and digital. I saw in the comments where Brian Young said the following:
The 'Codex Nihonica' and 'Codex Mongolica' both will help to fill in this gap too in their own way when brought together.
So it appears that Japan and Mongolia will be forthcoming at some point for this series!
Count me in for the kick starter for Mongolica right now !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I have KS most all of these. I am rather Euro Middle earth - heavy Norse. I have a nice leather Nordic book of his... have I used it even once, it's sad to say no. I hope it's me, there is so much in there, but little I need to play actually.

I have backed the China one, I'm hoping it's because I know more about Norse and less about the complex Chinese pantheon and histories... plus that place is so big and so old, to call it one place is like saying Arkansas and Maine are basically the same. So, I hope I will get more out of it. Curious how is Monk Shaolin or not will be.

Hoping for the best, Cheers.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.