Spells

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
paladinn
Ulthal

Spells

Post by paladinn »

One of the interesting things about AA compared to C&C is the take on spellcasting. Besides being a Mana/spellpoint-based system, the Arcanist class can be framed as INT, WIS or CHA-based. While the spell lists for each aren't quite as "defined" as those for Wizards, Clerics, Druids and Illusionists, the differences (and overlap) of the lists are intriguing. INT casters don't get Fireball, for instance, so you have wizard-equivalents without fireball! But WIS casters get it at 3rd level, so you end up with cleric and druid-equivalents with fireball.

Meanwhile, Turn Undead has been made into a spell, which I think is not a bad thing. But it's available to WIS casters at L1, CHA casters at L3 and INT casters at L6. I like turn undead as a spell, but I'm not sure about the availability issue. At this point, I'm tempted to let any Arcanist choose from any list, ala the generic spellcaster class from 3.5.

One of the abilities that's gotten lost in the shuffle, it seems, is the druid's wildshape/ "totem shape" ability. If turn undead has been repackaged as a spell, it seems like wildshape should be as well. In Pathfinder there is a low-level shapechange spell called Beast Shape that emulated the druid's wildshape. Not sure if I should just grab it or do something else.

Any thoughts?

Gratzi!

Fizz
Lore Drake

Re: Spells

Post by Fizz »

paladinn wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:41 pm
One of the interesting things about AA compared to C&C is the take on spellcasting. Besides being a Mana/spellpoint-based system, the Arcanist class can be framed as INT, WIS or CHA-based. While the spell lists for each aren't quite as "defined" as those for Wizards, Clerics, Druids and Illusionists, the differences (and overlap) of the lists are intriguing.
It sounds a bit like the spellcasting system from the Midnight campaign setting (originally written for d20). The class was called the "channeller". But in that system, any character could learn some magic (through feats), though not nearly to the extent the channeller could.
One of the abilities that's gotten lost in the shuffle, it seems, is the druid's wildshape/ "totem shape" ability. If turn undead has been repackaged as a spell, it seems like wildshape should be as well. In Pathfinder there is a low-level shapechange spell called Beast Shape that emulated the druid's wildshape. Not sure if I should just grab it or do something else.
You could just modify the C&C spells Animal Shapes and Shapechange. Use the basic parameters of those spell, but limit it to one target (or caster only), and limit the sizing (maybe 10% change per level or something), possibly duration, etc etc. until you get something you feel works as a lower level spell.

-Fizz

paladinn
Ulthal

Re: Spells

Post by paladinn »

Thanks.. work in progress