Trouble understanding how Table 15.2 in the CKG works

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
MythicGalea
Henchman

Trouble understanding how Table 15.2 in the CKG works

Post by MythicGalea »

Hey there, long time lurker, first time poster. I'll get right to the point -- I'm tweaking my game and I stumbled across the chapter on the SIEGE Engine in CKG. That said -- I'm having trouble understanding how the early evolution Table 15.2 (pg 277) of the Castle Keepers Guide works. Can anyone give me a rundown of how it works with an example? I'd be much obliged.

MythicGalea
Henchman

Re: Trouble understanding how Table 15.2 in the CKG works

Post by MythicGalea »

4th readthrough and I think I understand now. The early evolution table assumes a tiered selection of attribute scores ranked one through six. The example suggests that the thief's most important attribute is dexterity, followed by intelligence, followed by strength and then wisdom, then I imagine a toss-up of charisma and constitution. The early evolution table shows the chances of succeeding with each of those attributes in mind. According to the table, succeeding on a dex based roll would be 60%; intelligence 50%; strength 40%; wisdom 30%; then I imagine its charisma 20%; followed by constitution at 10%.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Welcome to the forum! We need some of the old timers like @Rigon, @Lurker, or @Go0gleplex to jump in here.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully someone here has an answer for you on this. I haven't dug too deep into the CKG so I'm not sure exactly what the chart is for or how it works.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

There has never been an erudite explanation for this chart. Whomever designed it would have to chime in. Or the editor of the CKG because it is not self explanatory.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Excellent use of the word "erudite"... :)

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I had to dig out my CKG from where it's packed away to look at this; From what I take away reading this section, the chart is simply a graphic example of how the 12/18 Prime/Non-Prime adjustments were created. The Attribute column presents the order of impact to the subject class, which will vary between classes. It uses the Rogue as an example...whereas if using a fighter it would be STR, CON, DEX, CHA, INT, WIS in terms of order most likely. The challenge base would be rolls on dice with the chance of success converted to percentile for statistical analysis purposes. So when they created the SIEGE Engine, 20% and 50% chance of success were the benchmarks used as the base of everything. The rest of the section goes into how level and challenge modifiers affect the success percentage...so probably best to consider this like a portion of statistical analysis out of an advanced math book rather than a game in terms of trying to understand it.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I think Go0gleplex has it. To me it looks like one of the original designs considered was not just primary and secondary attributes, but also tertiary, quarternary, quintary and senary.

In that system, one attribute (primary) had a CB of 10, another attribute (seconary) had a CB of 12, and so on with CB's of 14, 16, 18, 20. It's those numerics that the table summarizes.

Notice how 12 is the average CB of the top three attributes, and 18 is the average CB of the bottom three attributes. I think that's how they decided on those values of 12 and 18 for the current game.

And welcome to the boards!

-Fizz

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

For the record, while I did create some of the tables in the CKG, this is not one of them. In fact, I don't recall ever having seen it. Seems excessively complex without textual guidance.