North Texas RPG Con 2022

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Ancalagon
Ulthal

Re: North Texas RPG Con 2022

Post by Ancalagon »

maximus wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:53 pm
Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 am
Joe Mohr wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:50 pm
I played in the social during the 2020 plague con. But I had to leave early because I was also scheduled to play in Doug Rheas game that night and I did not realize that they overlapped. This time I made sure not to make that kind of mistake. Look forward to seeing you there!
Funny you mention "plague con." I tested positive for covid twice within the last 24 hours. As much as I hate it, my first trip to NTXRPG Con is cancelled. Dammit.

I'm now looking at Gary Con in March 2023. Strangely enough I already have a cool C&C scenario worked up to run. If you (or any other of the members here) make it to the next Gary Con, consider grabbing a seat at my game!
Ugh... sorry to hear that. I've been thinking about hitting Gary Con for several years, but have just never moved forward with making plans. Seems more new school than old school at this point from an outsiders view.
While, unfortunately, WotC's presence and the 5e game offerings have increased over the last few years, I can attest to Gary Con having more old school type events (AD&D1e/2e, OD&D, B/X, C&C, etc.) than any other con I've attended (Dragon Con, Gen Con, Origins, Nuke Con).
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:57 am
maximus wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
Joe Mohr wrote:
I played in the social during the 2020 plague con. But I had to leave early because I was also scheduled to play in Doug Rheas game that night and I did not realize that they overlapped. This time I made sure not to make that kind of mistake. Look forward to seeing you there!
Funny you mention "plague con." I tested positive for covid twice within the last 24 hours. As much as I hate it, my first trip to NTXRPG Con is cancelled. Dammit.

I'm now looking at Gary Con in March 2023. Strangely enough I already have a cool C&C scenario worked up to run. If you (or any other of the members here) make it to the next Gary Con, consider grabbing a seat at my game!
Ugh... sorry to hear that. I've been thinking about hitting Gary Con for several years, but have just never moved forward with making plans. Seems more new school than old school at this point from an outsiders view.
While, unfortunately, WotC's presence and the 5e game offerings have increased over the last few years, I can attest to Gary Con having more old school type events (AD&D1e/2e, OD&D, B/X, C&C, etc.) than any other con I've attended (Dragon Con, Gen Con, Origins, Nuke Con).
Agreed. Gary Con has become massive compared to what it was in the early years, but the OSR presence is strong. If memory serves, the 5E Adventurers League games tend to all be in a single room together, so you end up with an isolated and dedicated 5E room. There are non-Adventurers League 5E games, but the AL games seem to represent the vast majority of the 5E events. I'm basing that on pre-COVID event listings, so it's possible the non-AL 5E games have expanded without my awareness in the last couple years.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:04 am
Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:57 am
maximus wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
Joe Mohr wrote:

Agreed. Gary Con has become massive compared to what it was in the early years, but the OSR presence is strong. If memory serves, the 5E Adventurers League games tend to all be in a single room together, so you end up with an isolated and dedicated 5E room. There are non-Adventurers League 5E games, but the AL games seem to represent the vast majority of the 5E events. I'm basing that on pre-COVID event listings, so it's possible the non-AL 5E games have expanded without my awareness in the last couple years.
Emphasis mine.
I hope you're right and the AL games are still roomed together. My last Gary Con was 2019. I'm ready to get back there!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Joe Mohr
Skobbit

Post by Joe Mohr »

Ancalagon wrote:
Joe Mohr wrote:

Sorry to hear it man. That definitely sucks. Bad timing. I would love to make it to Gary Con but have not yet had the chance to do so. Maybe next year will be the year.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Joe Mohr wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:50 pm
Ancalagon wrote:
Joe Mohr wrote:

Sorry to hear it man. That definitely sucks. Bad timing. I would love to make it to Gary Con but have not yet had the chance to do so. Maybe next year will be the year.
Yeah. One week earlier or later and I could've made it. Oh well. C'est la vie! I'll probably start a GaryCon 2023 thread. If you decide to attend, please chime in!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander