Temple of Elemental Evil to C&C(convertion problems).

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Toki999
Henchman

Temple of Elemental Evil to C&C(convertion problems).

Post by Toki999 »

Hello, I am a new member of the forum. I am recently trying to convert the adventure "Temple of Elemental Evil" from AD&D 1ed to the C&C system. I have followed the guide in the forum post regarding monster conversion (generally the monsters of the AD&D version are almost the same as the C&C monsters) but I have run into a problem. The XP of the monsters are very different (so much so that the xp given in the AD&D adventure is 10 times more than the xp they give in C&C). My question is the following, seeing that the leveling up of the AD&D and C&C characters are very similar, what XP values should I take? Those of the TOEE adventure or the values of the Monsters & Treasure handbook?
By the way, I'm converting the adventure to Spanish (my native language). Another question I have is that some of the AD&D monsters have more hp than their counterpart in C&C. Do I keep the AD&D hp or the C&C M&T manual? From now on, any help you can give me will be very grateful :)

Fizz
Lore Drake

Re: Temple of Elemental Evil to C&C(convertion problems).

Post by Fizz »

Welcome to the forums!

How much experience you choose depends on how fast you want the characters to advance. But a 10x difference seems extreme; makes me wonder if there is a typo. Which monster(s) have that big of an XP difference?

One thing to remember though, is that XP awards don't have to be static. The exact situation matters. If the monster has a particular advantage (magic item, tactical advantage, etc) that makes the monster easier to defeat, then you can justify it being worth more XP than normal. So possibly ToEE takes that into account, and If so i'd use the ToEE values.

As for HP, AD&D numbers aren't that different from C&C in general, so you probably won't go wrong either way. But perhaps ToEE has a particular "extra-tough" monster. That is- it's not a a typical beast, but a particularly dangerous one. In that case, i'd probably stick with ToEE to better represent the intended difficulty.

-Fizz

Toki999
Henchman

Post by Toki999 »

I am going to put a couple of examples; Giant Lizard from the Adventure X P 189, Giant Lizard from C&C XP 40 + 4.
Giant Tick from the Adventure X P 141; Giant Tick from C&C XP: 20+2. There must be some kind of error on the typo in the adventure so I guess I'll have to go with the xp assigned to the C&C monsters :S
Thanks for the advice Fizz :)

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Toki999 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:42 am
I am going to put a couple of examples; Giant Lizard from the Adventure X P 189, Giant Lizard from C&C XP 40 + 4.
Giant Tick from the Adventure X P 141; Giant Tick from C&C XP: 20+2. There must be some kind of error on the typo in the adventure so I guess I'll have to go with the xp assigned to the C&C monsters :S
Thanks for the advice Fizz :)
So that Giant lizard has a C&C XP listing of 40+4... that means 40 + 4 xp per HP, so if that thing is a 4d8 HP creature, let's look at 3 possible XP totals:
1) Giant lizard with maximum HP would have 32 HP, so their XP would be... 40 + (4x32) = 40+(128) = 168... not so different from the 189 in AD&D
2) Giant lizard with minimum HP would have 4 HP, so their XP would be... 40 + (4x4) = 40+(16) = 56... quite a bit lower
3) Giant lizard with average HP would have 18 HP, so their XP would be... 40 + (4x18) = 40+(72) = 112... middle of the road

So you have to pay attention to that number after the + sign and multiply the XP by that number, then add it to the static XP number for the creature.

Also, by the way, that Giant Lizard in the AD&D DMG XP tables has HD 3+1, so it has a base XP of 60 + 4 per HP, and it has a special ability of doing double damage when a 20 is rolled on the attack roll. That special ability means you add 65 to the XP total... so here is how they got the 189 number there:

Standard base XP for a 3+1 HD creature = 60
4 XP per HP = 16x4 = 64
Special Ability or Attack = 65

60+64+65=189

It's not so different from the C&C one, but C&C doesn't have double damage on a 20 unless you do a houserule.
~DMSamuel
---

Toki999
Henchman

Post by Toki999 »

Thanks DMSamuel for clarifying the question of the xp. Now it will be easier for me to do the conversion thanks to that data. Sorry for my ignorance but I am just entering the world of retro clones RPG and AD&D. Thanks a lot to all of you for your help :D

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Toki999 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:57 pm
Sorry for my ignorance but I am just entering the world of retro clones RPG and AD&D.
While retro clones are numerous, the good news is that many of them are easily interchangable. Castles & Crusades, Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, Fantastic Heroes & Witchery, and of course 1st and 2nd AD&D, among many others, all have strong common elements. I know of many people (myself included) who just pick & choose elements from different games to make their own perfect game. So long as everyone has fun, there is no "wrong" way to do it.

-Fizz

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I've run the Temple under C&C and I pretty much used it as is. The XP charts of AD&D and C&C are pretty close so nothing should be off there. I will say that taking it "all the way" and trying to get into where the Demoness is caged is not a good idea :). A party can have a successful campaign without that. But it sure would be funny when they figure out it was a bad idea.

-Mike