What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Gringnr
Ulthal

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by Gringnr »

DC Universe. It was West End Games' foray into supers, using the D6 Legend system (a variant of their D6 system that counts successes, instead of adding totals, using pools of six-sided dice). Short-lived, and very polarizing, it is nonetheless interesting, with some high quality supplements.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Traveller Hero - I don't play Hero System games (no real reason), but this is the only iteration of Traveller that I don't really have. So, I bought the CD-Rom.

Squadron UK - an updated/revised version of Golden Heroes. Written both to avoid Games Workshop's copyright, but also to implement changes that author Simon Burley says he would have made anyway. I have been playng Golden Heroes with my nephews for a year or so now. I always felt kind of bad for Burley, because the game he will always be remembered for is one he can't get paid for (although he has been teasing that that's perhaps going to change). He also insists that SqUK is the better game, being written with decades more design experience under his belt.

My first impression is favorable, but somewhat mixed. There is a skill system added (a plus), and many options to incorporate intentional design elements into the still-mostly-random character generation (another plus). Golden Heroes' signature four-panel combat rounds are gone (which I do not like), but combats have become faster and less predictable.

The original Golden Heroes is, in my experience, a game that on paper does not give a true sense of how it plays. That is to say only in playing it do you gain an appreciation for just how clever and well-balanced it is. SqUK may be the same, so I will reserve final judgement until I have played it. But on first reading, it retains enough of the original's flavor, while adding new innovations, that I am eager to try it out.

Squadron UK is available for purchase at drivethrurpg. There is a book of adventures called Legacy (an updating of EVERY GH module/magazine adventure) in the works.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Adventurers Backpack, of course!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Prime Directive from Task Force Games. It seems that most people judged it on how good of a Star Trek game it was, rather than on how good of a game it was in general. Which is a shame, because the core system is solid.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I've been reading the 5e PH in preparation for an upcoming online game to be run by Rigon.

So far, I like what I'm seeing, but the game will be the real test of how well things work.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Art & Arcana, Basic Fantasy RPG (core rulebook and others), Moldvay Basic Rulebook, Marsh/Cook Expert Rulebook, some gaming material I have edited/am editing for ThrowiGames.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Career Compendium for Warhammer FRP 2nd edition.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Recon, 1st edition. Recently got a hold of the core rules, referee's screen, and 2 modules. Interesting game.

BigJackBrass
Mist Elf

Post by BigJackBrass »

At the moment I'm working my way through Danger International with a view to using it to run a game of Fringeworthy. I could use the original Tri Tac system, but it's a bit of a mess to sort through and find the relevant information, so I thought I'd go for something that's rather more coherent and also has lots of expansion options.

Reading a third edition Hero System game now is interesting: it's compact and clearly explained. Since DI doesn't have the powers system from Champions included it's also quite simple, with a very straightforward and flexible resolution mechanic. Such a shame that anything Hero is regarded with horror for its supposed impenetrable complexity these days, when it's actually considerably simpler than Pathfinder.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well I finished devouring The Hobbit - see the 'what are you reading post - so I decided to break open all the Bundle of Holding copies of 5e Adventures in Middle-Earth I bought back in December, and dig into them more than the quick glance I have given them before.

Very nice. I love the feel of it, I think it fits the feel of the books nicely. It does well at modifying it to D&D based games , and it isn't as odd as 'The One Ring' . Love all the different cultures, classes, backgrounds, vultures, and especially the corruption. Out of al the modifications I like that best (cultures are a close second)

However, as I read it I thin "boy this would be easy to modify into C&C" . I think that should take care of some of the modifications that are there to dial back the 5.e rules and assumptions. Things like You don't the benefit of a 'full rest' - return of all HP, return of all spells, etc - when you rest during travel. Things like that.

So, I would love to play 5e Adventures in Middle-Earth - if the DM loves ME that is, and would love to work on a house rule modifying Adventures in ME into C&C incase I ever can run it (when I get good internet, have a job that doesn't burn so much time, and life becomes huggy bears and rain bows ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If I had the ample amount of time it would take, I would convert ME5E into C&C. There is a really good Middle-Earth game buried not-to-deep in the Cubicle 7 ME books.

I. Just. Need. More. Time.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Omote wrote:If I had the ample amount of time it would take, I would convert ME5E into C&C. There is a really good Middle-Earth game buried not-to-deep in the Cubicle 7 ME books.

I. Just. Need. More. Time.

~O
Rgr that !

If I didn't have to waste time working and such I could make some good conversions and my dream home brew world ... stupid real life ! ;)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I've been pouring over D&D 3.5 stuff for my upcoming summer gaming vacation and 5e for my current game. I am still converting 4e material, so I am looking at that stuff also. A lot of irons in the fire right now.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Zweihander Revised Core Rulebook. I have never played any iteration of WFRP. So, this is all new to me. I also hadn't read any of the previous printings of Zweihandfer. So far, I have run one session, and I like it. First session was all non-combat stuff. The next session is likely to be the inverse, we'll see how it goes. But I do like it. It's got just enough crunch for me.

Oh, and I've been doing a read-through on The Big Purple, if anyone wants to check it out:

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads ... ok.849041/

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Shadowrun 6E boxed set. As many have said, the setting is neat but the mechanics not so much. :(

I tried to run a short session the other day and it flopped. My players never got comfortable with combat because the sequence just didn't make sense to them. Attack roll, followed by the defender getting to dodge, followed by the defender getting to "soak" damage. They kept saying, "but I hit. What do you mean we have to keep rolling?"
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

finarvyn wrote:Shadowrun 6E boxed set. As many have said, the setting is neat but the mechanics not so much. :(

I tried to run a short session the other day and it flopped. My players never got comfortable with combat because the sequence just didn't make sense to them. Attack roll, followed by the defender getting to dodge, followed by the defender getting to "soak" damage. They kept saying, "but I hit. What do you mean we have to keep rolling?"
Not much different, overall, than WEG Star Wars. Even uses dice pools.

But, I am reading Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 4th edition.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm rereading The Wheel of Time series. I'm midway through volume 5 and am very impressed with the quality. It's been quite a few years since I've read them. While the narrative dragged a bit in some of the later volumes (particularly the shockingly bad Crossroads of Twilight), the first 5 books are really well-paced. The hate some people have for the series seems unjustified to me.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

meghna31
Henchman

Post by meghna31 »

Excellent thread..!!!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well with the Monday Night Ne'er-do-Wells switching around a bit, and me getting ready to start running some games, I've been reading through the ole 2e Ravenloft/Masque of the Red Death, and the Amazing Adventure books. Looking at morphing them together for a siege version of Masque.

All and all it looks like it should be easy to splice together !

Now to get ready for the setting, I actually stumbled onto some good audio versions of Poe's works on youtube - can't remember the name of the actor doing the reading, … my mind just went blank on that - but it is great versions of the poems and stories . Not sure the girls are enjoying it as much as me - The youngest one sure didn't like 'tell tale heart' a bit to creepy and going insane for her :twisted:

Now if the Ne'er d Wells go another direction than the Gothic setting, I'm pulling out the old Gray Box Forgotten Realms setting. It feels like home (it was my preferred setting back in the day) but I do need to knock the rust off what I remember here and there.

C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

Scourges of the Galaxy by hero games

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

Currently reading Outbreak Undead 2nd edition in preparation for our annual Christmas Zombie game. The rules are simple enough, but presentation leaves a little to be desired.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Within easy reach for a moment's read:

C&C CKG and PHB (currently running a campaign)
B/X D&D rulebook
Mythras core book
Low Fantasy Gaming
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

The Hero's Journey 2nd Edition. Just getting through the magic section. It's different, but workable for a low magic setting.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:The Hero's Journey 2nd Edition. Just getting through the magic section. It's different, but workable for a low magic setting.

R-
I had never heard of HJ before DM Mike's pod cast. After hearing that I'm interested in it. Low magic, Tolkien influence, what more could I ask for?

Unfortunately last 2 months have had major expenses cars needing work & tires, both girls and the wife needing new glasses, and other life things, so money is tight for now & I haven't been able to get it.

I think I like what I've heard on the magic system, but I'm not sure how I'll like the game in total compared to C&C .

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote:The Hero's Journey 2nd Edition. Just getting through the magic section. It's different, but workable for a low magic setting.

R-
I had never heard of HJ before DM Mike's pod cast. After hearing that I'm interested in it. Low magic, Tolkien influence, what more could I ask for?

Unfortunately last 2 months have had major expenses cars needing work & tires, both girls and the wife needing new glasses, and other life things, so money is tight for now & I haven't been able to get it.

I think I like what I've heard on the magic system, but I'm not sure how I'll like the game in total compared to C&C .
It's very similar to C&C and D&D 5e (but without skills). The magic system is definitely geared for the low end. The classes would fit into any standard old school game. I haven't gotten completely through the magic section yet and I don't know when I'll have time to look at it again this week (the big Senior Class fundraiser is this week so am spending most of my time getting prepped fot that. Hopefuly after Saturday, I candive back into it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Now that I have a little more time, I am going to go through the Hero's Journey 2nd Ed again.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm on book 3 of the Witcher series. Good so far.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

I am currently reading Exalted 3rd Edition (know 2nd, getting used to 3rd), Call of Cthulhu 7th (know 6th, getting used to 7th), Delta Green, CATaclysm, C&C (all of it, I'm totally new to it all even after 6mths).

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Just got Hero's Journey, and yes I'm blaming DMMike, Liz, and Rigon to my wife for my need to buy it :-)

Haven't had a chance to dig in too too much on it, but from the first glance through it looks like a good rules light, very Tolkienesk game.

I will have to dig into it to be sure, but I may use it (modified with some C&C items) for the game I'll eventually run for some of the kids that go to my girl's school.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:01 am
Just got Hero's Journey, and yes I'm blaming DMMike, Liz, and Rigon to my wife for my need to buy it :-)

Haven't had a chance to dig in too too much on it, but from the first glance through it looks like a good rules light, very Tolkienesk game.

I will have to dig into it to be sure, but I may use it (modified with some C&C items) for the game I'll eventually run for some of the kids that go to my girl's school.
I think you'll like it a lot.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads