Monday Night Ne'er-do-wells 1 off take 2

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Monday Night Ne'er-do-wells 1 off take 2

Post by Lurker »

I am not throwing stones at any one, I completely understand we all have busy lives and things come up that get in the way of our fun little hobby. It happens to all of us and we all have to be flexible.

However, it is coming up on what 2 months without any game on Monday night. … I’m starting to go through withdrawals !

This is why (well one of the reasons why) I did the one off modern Victory game , to fill in these gaps.

Now that the dust has settled from me changing from the Vet Rep in the state Veteran’s home to a itinerant Vet Rep, and I have the flow of the job and when I will tend to be busy and when I will have slack, some days LOTS of slack, to work on games and the like. So, I can pick up another ‘one off’ set of games.

I’ll run whatever you decide from below:

If you want future/sci fi – I can do SW d6

If you want fantasy – various eras

I can do a home version of C&C (I don’t have the hard and fast modified rules in a good document, the biggest change is race/class – I am modifying what I had off the good I saw in 5e – and magic – more a spell point system than classic fire and forget

The setting will either be a slightly lower magic ‘Tolkien’ ish world, or a high fantasy high magic ‘Stardust” setting which ever you all want

I am interested in a C&C version of the ole 2e ‘Red Death’ game setting. I have nothing hard and fast on the changes it will be a modify as we go.

Thanks to the thread in the ‘Other Games’ section, I am getting really interested in Zweihander. I would give it a try, but it will be a learn as we go for me. Plus, I would dial back a touch on the grim and grit (more like you are lights in a darkened world, but you aren’t dim flickering fading lights in an ever darkening oppressive world) Also, I’ll dial back on the corruption leading to you sprouting a crown of fingers from your head or your arm transforming into an octopus tentacle, and no Orx aren’t from funguses !

I could try Cthuluh, but I say that hesitantly. I don’t know the system (but it looks simple enough to pick up) and as I said before I tend to be more Poe darkness than Lovecraft bleak insanity.

I don’t have a modern game that is just screaming for me to run it. However if there is one everyone wants, then sell me on it ;-)

I have PDFs for all the game I mentioned so you won’t have to buy anything new.

It will be all theater of the mind if I run anything, so break out and knock the dust off the ole real life dice

This is of course open to any of the Monday night ne’er-do-wells, and anyone else that wants to jump in for 1 off games

Since they are 1 off, I’ll do my best to keep it from being an overarching campaign, but From Modern Victory, I learned that most of the time I can’t do a series of events in just 1 setting … I’ll try to limit that but it is me and if you have ready any of my posts you know brevity is not a strong suit of mine !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Monday Night Ne'er-do-wells 1 off take 2

Post by maximus »

I'm certainly up for C&C. I've never played SW d6, but would be fine giving it a try.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lurker wrote:I am interested in a C&C version of the ole 2e ‘Red Death’ game setting. I have nothing hard and fast on the changes it will be a modify as we go.
Yep! I would play in this . . or assist you on running the game, or I can run this game. You may recall that I ran a Red Death/Sherlock Holmes game under Victorius. Methinks a C&C version of any Vic game would run fast and easy for off night games.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

So that is 1 vote for Star Ward D6, one vote for house ruled C&C, and 1 vote for Seige v of Masque of Red Death ... indecisive....

All Monday night guys jump in and put your 2 cents in so I have an idea what you all are interested in doing
Rhuvein wrote:
Lurker wrote:I am interested in a C&C version of the ole 2e ‘Red Death’ game setting. I have nothing hard and fast on the changes it will be a modify as we go.
Yep! I would play in this . . or assist you on running the game, or I can run this game. You may recall that I ran a Red Death/Sherlock Holmes game under Victorius. Methinks a C&C version of any Vic game would run fast and easy for off night games.
I didn't know you'd run a red death/Sherlock game ... wished I'd been in it ! If we go down that path, pleases be kind to me as I bumble my way through some games ;)

I would say I'd love to step back and let you run it, but that would be dirty pool, for me to push for a 1 off games and say I'd run it to give everyone a break and then toss it into your lap like a big ole hot potato. So, I'd still be glad to run it, but by all means would be glad for any pointers, idea seeds, or lessons learned you can pass my way.

I had a little time yesterday after work and about an hour down time today, so I read through the 'Read Death' rules. Now I remember ... back in the day, it was a love hate for me. I LOVE the setting and the idea, but the class/kits fall flat and need lots of expansion and work ...

I think the easiest if we do Red Death is to have it be a siege version and not C&C, and borrow heavily from A&A for classes and put that into the Masque of the Red Death Gothic Earth setting time line. Of course some of the classes from A&A wont fit (gadgetter, acrobat, & archer) and everything will have the be back morphed to 1890s. But that will be easier than trying to rework the 2e class kits and expand them to more than what is in the Red Death setting book.

Oh yeah. Regardless of what game we decide to use in the 1 offs, here are my house rules for any C&C/Seige games

Attributes - roll 4 d, reroll any 1s keep the highest 3. If you have 2 or more attributes at less than 9 re roll then (with only attribute being less than 9). If you still end up with 2 or more at less than 9, increase them to 9 - again with only 1 being less than 9.

Add comeliness/physical beauty . There is no save tied to it, but at times it can replace or modify CHA checks

use method 3 for attribute modifiers from the CKG :

2,3 -4
4,5 -3
6,7 -2
8,9 -1
10,11 0
12,13 +1
14,15 +2
16,17 +3
18,19 +4
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lurker wrote:I didn't know you'd run a red death/Sherlock game ... wished I'd been in it ! If we go down that path, pleases be kind to me as I bumble my way through some games ;)
Hehe, you forgot!

This thread, you commented on page 6:

http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=16143

Yike, I'm reminded of how much work goes into running a game. And while I enjoy running, the Monday night time is too late for me.

Anyway, I'll be happy to play in any game that you run!

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Know implies in depth knowledge, but since I didn't remember it there is no way I knew it ... philosophy and trick of wording of the English language argument over :D

I reread the thread, and yeah would have liked to be in it.

Rgr on remembering what all goes into a game. I can't believe Tree & Rigon & following Tree Rhia have been able to put that much time into running the games for this long. I've been in the group for what 8 years, and good lord know how much longer it ran before I joined.

That said, I'll be ready to run something what ever you all decide on me running.

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm not going to make it tonight. See you next week.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

rgr that, the girls put in "It's a Dog's Journey 2" or something like that when we started eating, so that will be on at game time here.

I'm sure no one wants to listen to that in the background as we talk about the games .

You all have a good one, talk to you in a week

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'd be good with just about anything. I'm more into fantasy than any other genre, but would play whatever you wanted to run.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I prefer not to learn any new rule-sets/games, at this point.

Any fantasy or sci-fi ~ C&C or any O,B or A DD!

:P

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rhuvein wrote:I prefer not to learn any new rule-sets/games, at this point.

Any fantasy or sci-fi ~ C&C or any O,B or A DD!

So it looks like we are leaning to a Siege or C&C based fantasy type game, and SW d6, Cthulu, and Zweihander are out.

That leaves slightly lower Tolkienesk homebrew, a Stardust/Princess Bride flavored high magic homebrew, and the C&C 'Masque of the Red Death'

There are still a few votes left to be cast, so remember vote early vote often ...

Now I will say, that all my home brew stuff is not cleanly on paper so I might have to piecemeal it out as needed depending on what you all chose and want to play

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

So I've gotten word from everyone that haven't voted and it looks like they are out.

That leaves only the players . So, if anyone else wants to jump in and play, or you have friends that want to play in a game on Monday nights, we have plenty of room!

With it only being only 3 players, I will still be glad to DM, but I don't know about going through all my ideas for my home brew. So, I'll keep it more BTB, and only include the home brew I have finished, and I'll use a published setting

Of course with that, C&C "Red Death" is still on the table. At least it is for an adventure arch or 3.

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm in

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm not going to be on tonight. I literally just walked in the door (815p). I going to eat dinner and then go to sleep.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lurker, do you have TLG's Tainted Lands by Jim Ward?

Just curious.

Rhu. 8-)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Les, I have the Amazing Adventures Demon Hunter PDF. I have just started to look at the other classes for AA, but I think I'm leaning toward that class, if you'll allow it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rhuvein wrote:Lurker, do you have TLG's Tainted Lands by Jim Ward?

Just curious.

Rhu. 8-)
Rgr I have it n the boxed set, not in PDF, this morning I had to dig it out and look at a few things. I like the idea of the setting, but I don't think it fits a 'Gothic Earth' feel
Rigon wrote:Les, I have the Amazing Adventures Demon Hunter PDF. I have just started to look at the other classes for AA, but I think I'm leaning toward that class, if you'll allow it.

R-
Nice, I haven't seen that before - now my wife is going to be mad that I am spending more money on gaming, so I'll be sure to tell her it is YOUR fault :twisted:
maximus wrote:I'm in
After talking last night about the tainted lands witch hunter, I was able to dig out the boxed set (I thought I had a PDF of it, but either I don't or my search powers were weak this AM) I don't think the TL witch hunter fits.

However, I do like the idea of it as a class !
On my drive to work I kicked around ideas, I figured that the 'Gum Shoe' or the 'Raider' would be easy to morph into it, use the base class, put some arcane skills (or counter arcane skills) and the like

However, let me look at Rig's Demon hunter, it may be a good fit without me having to re make the wheel on it.

C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Oh yeah, a thought . . don't forget about using Victorious for you game rules. I used it and I thought it worked perfectly for my game and MotRD!

Not trying to steer the game away from AA, which I have played and like a lot, but just throwing another choice out there for consideration.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rhuvein wrote:Oh yeah, a thought . . don't forget about using Victorious for you game rules. I used it and I thought it worked perfectly for my game and MotRD!

Not trying to steer the game away from AA, which I have played and like a lot, but just throwing another choice out there for consideration.

Oh I love Victorious, and it is an amazing system that is very versatile. Heck over the last what 2 years, the Monday night group has run a Victorious game set in Victorian Chicago, I ran a Victorious game set in modern America, Rhia is running a Victorious fantasy setting, and Rigon & I have kicked around ideas ofr a Star Wars Victory game. So, yeah it would be easy to use it in the Gothic Earth setting.

That said, over the last 2 years we have spent A LOT OF TIME in Victorious so I thought it would be good to try something else for a bit.

Plus, one weakness (I use that because I can't think of a better word, but I don't think it is a flaw by any means) in Victorious is just how flexible character creation can be and how many ways you can create a character. At times, unless a player has a good solid idea of what they want to play, they can get lost in character creation. Plus there can be a lot of thinking out of the box and around corners in short comings and draw backs to build the character, so again unless the player has a good idea on what they want to play they can brain frees for a bit. (Again, I don't consider it a flaw at all, but I've gone through and created multiple characters just to get good at this process)

Sow with that, for simplicity sake, I wanted a game with classes to help guide player creation.

Plus, I've had the AA pdfs for years and never played it so I thought this was a good chance to give the game a run through and see what we can do with it.

That said, since we have the game locked down, I'll start another thread focused on .....

C&C Society