XP for traps

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Greyblade
Hlobane Orc

XP for traps

Post by Greyblade »

Hi all,

Simple question : do you allow XP gain for traps? If you do, is it the rogue earning the xp or the whole group?

Let me know how you do it, as in vanilla there doesn't appear to be any xp gain for whenever the group finds and disarms a trap

Have a good day
Durka durka Muhammad djihad

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: XP for traps

Post by Captain_K »

If I did experience, yes.. they have done something and they learned... at least those that did contribute.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I'm too lazy to check this morning, but if I remember right; the CKG section on traps has XP values for many of the common ones. That can give you a feel for appropriate XP on traps of your own creation. I generally give between 100 and 500 XP depending on lethality, difficulty in discovery/disarming, and situational conditions around it. Not sure if there is an actual formula for things.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Greyblade
Hlobane Orc

Post by Greyblade »

I checked the CKG, indeed it gives a CL for each trap described, and gives you overall rules to design and CL your own traps.

So yeah, I guess it gives a measure of XP to be given to PCs when they find & disarm a trap
Durka durka Muhammad djihad

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

I have the CKG - haven't checked yet, but just as a pure concept question: Yeah, I'd say handing out xp for successful find/disarm traps rolls, pretty much whatever the situation, demands its own reward. Rogues get little enough chance for meaningful, direct involvement in a game situations, especially in scraps - remove oneself from the said scrap, hide in shadows/move silently, jump down from trees ninja-style and kill people with backstab X2, 3, 4, whatever, rinse and repeat - and utilizing find/remove traps in a non-scrap situation is pretty much a pure rogue-application scenario where the other character classes will be standing around polishing their spectacles and waiting. There might be some ticking-clock aspects built in - find/disarm trap within two rounds or your group is toast as the red dragon is rising from its lair - but overall, these skills are singular enough that I think anyone who decides to play a rogue should be rewarded for it.