Barbarian intimidation – 15 feet ???

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Barbarian intimidation – 15 feet ???

Post by Lurker »

One thing I have never liked about the barbarian is the intimidation is limited to a 15 foot range. With that a barby has had to wade through volleys of arrows, javelins, and throw axes and the like, and is on the edge of being poked by a spear (is in range if a long speak / pike type weapon is used), before he has a chance to intimidate an opponent.

To me that doesn’t fit the historical, much less mythical fantastical, barbarian. A person/group/army, that could unnerve all but the most stalwart experienced fighters soldiers and armies. Even then, when the barbarian used proper tactics and the terrain to their advantage, they could wear down, unnerve and route even the great armies of Rome, Byzantine, Persia, Holy Roman , China and the like.

Now, that I am working on and nearly finished the adaptation for barbarian to the steppe horse barbarian for the other thread, I need to figure out a better way to handle the intimidation. But, as normal, I can’t think myself out of the box. …

I want there to be an intimidation, and with greater than 15 ft, but how far is realistic. I can make a number at random … 50 ft, 100 yards / 300 ft (just outside range of a bow except for long bows or long arching lucky shots) or in visual and hearing range … any of them could be argued as plausible.

Also, I want it to scale with the numbers and experience (level) of barbarians when compared to the opponent It is one thing to stand toe to toe to a single barbarian. It is another to have yourself and 4 friends facing 1 or 2 barbarians. And it is a horse of a different color entirely when your militia band of 200 peasants with a hand full of huscarles faces a contingent of the Great Heathen Army in shield wall 100 strong with berserkers in front and archers behind the wall, all snarling and calling to Oden & Thor and challenging your band to come and seal your doom … Or you a peasnt militia of Jin China (or Kiev Rus) facing Mogol horse archers and other subjugated tribes fighting on foot and horse.

So, how can that be represented as an ability of the barbarian, both standard and steppe, better than “Intimidate at 15 feet” ????
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Barbarian intimidation – 15 feet ???

Post by Captain_K »

10 feet per level.. done.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Remember, C&C is based on 24 max. So breakdowns should be factors of 24.

15 feet every so many levels, say 3. 1st to 3rd - 15 ft, 4th to 6th - 30 ft, 7th to 9th - 45 ft, and so on.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

So if you say 15' per 3 is the same as 5' per level which is easier and you get something every level.. everyone wants something every level.

Rigon, Where does this max of 24 come from? First I've heard it, very interested....
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Captain_K wrote:So if you say 15' per 3 is the same as 5' per level which is easier and you get something every level.. everyone wants something every level.

Rigon, Where does this max of 24 come from? First I've heard it, very interested....
Steve talked about at a forum about the CKG at the last Troll Con. That's why the expanded classes only go up to 24th level. And most things in C&C happen on a factor 24 level: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12...

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Just another way the "6 is special" rule applies.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I still don't like the start at 15 ft part of it.

The more I've thought about it, I like the idea of it starting at the range that the barbarian could charge the target and attack - eithr on foot or on horseback it a steppe horse barbarian - and then increasing from there.

That way a 1st level barbarian is still in danger from an archer (or a foot soldier that is wise enough to hold it's thrown axe attack until the barbarian charges, or set the spear and readies to receive the charge) but if they get danger close the opponent they can unsettle him/them and have an advantage when they are in melee.

Hmmmm, that doesn't work for the steppe barbarian with the Parthian riding shots ... so how about in charge range or in range of the barbarian's preferred weapon ....

Then from that base line, increase the range by .5 every 3rd level.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

What level does it kick in at? 1st? Start are X and add per level... but I would not add 0.5 per three... why bother?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

It starts at 1st level like the ability by the book.

for the .5 ... I need to stop typing as I think. The thought was .5 of the range , so a foot barbarian can charge at least 30 ft, so at 3rd level it would go up to 45 ft, then 60 ft at 6th etc

A steppe archer attacks at 80 ft, so at 3rd it would be 120 ft etc.

Hmmmm that may get excessive , I'll have to think about it.

C&C Society