What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:I was able to get some really good deals on some games recently so we tried these:

Massive Darkness
Zombicide: Green Horde
Sword and Sorcery
Dungeon Dwellers
Thunderstone
Order of the Stick: The Dungeon of Dorukan
Hero Quest (which I owned already but I found an almost untouched copy for a very reasonable rate)
Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Treasures of the Lost Pyramid
Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault
Arkham Horror
Lost Worlds
The Undercity
Dungeon! (the newest one)
Gloomhaven
and... all the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game core games and decks (not the character and miscellaneous add-ons yet.)

Yeah. It was a very, very good deal.
A lot of well regarded games on that list! Congrats!

I've acquired Cthulhu Wars, but have yet to play any board games since I have been here in St Louis. Which is all my fault, because there are plenty of Board Game groups, and even a board game restaurant, called Pieces, for me to go to. I just haven't felt motivated enough to go out there and introduce myself, etc...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Crib, you might know it as cribbage =)
Excellent!

Classic great card game that my wife taught me 34 years ago.

We used to play it at lunch time at when we worked together at R.R. Donnelly & Sons in Chicago. Huge corporate lunchroom and many of our colleagues would walk by and comment ~ asking "who's winning?" LOL - this year, cleaning out old boxes of stuff - I found score sheets and we seemed to be tied after 3 years!!!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:Crib, you might know it as cribbage =)
Excellent!

Classic great card game that my wife taught me 34 years ago.

We used to play it at lunch time at when we worked together at R.R. Donnelly & Sons in Chicago. Huge corporate lunchroom and many of our colleagues would walk by and comment ~ asking "who's winning?" LOL - this year, cleaning out old boxes of stuff - I found score sheets and we seemed to be tied after 3 years!!!

Maybe y'all can play it on Roll20 or VASSAL. Like when we played that Clue game that one time.

I don't know the rules to ANY card game. But thinking of learning Whist or Tarrochi.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

kalgari
Henchman

Post by kalgari »

I play Dungeons & Dragons, one of the best board games ever!

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Rhuvein wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:We used to play it at lunch time at when we worked together at R.R. Donnelly & Sons in Chicago.
You still at RRD? I work for the Logan, UT facility...

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Mansions of Madness, most recent edition.
Talisman, 2nd edition.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

mmbutter wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:We used to play it at lunch time at when we worked together at R.R. Donnelley & Sons in Chicago.
You still at RRD? I work for the Logan, UT facility...
Haha, you funny man!

Twas many years ago.

Did they get bought out by some huge printer outside the US?

Hope your job is great. Back in the day, RRD was the best!!!!

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Rhuvein wrote:Did they get bought out by some huge printer outside the US?
No, still based out of Chicago. They did recently split into three different companies.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

This weekend was Terraforming Mars with the Prelude and Venus expansions and Cards against Humanity

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Mice and Mystics, a little bit of Marvel Legendary (used the Villains version) and a quick side foray into Zombicide: Black Plague.

Oh, and my copy of Fireball Island arrived. But I have not played it yet.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

We played Firefly: The Board Game on Saturday with what we thought might be a quick mission. This time we only played for 6 hours :D
https://goo.gl/photos/GYmvhuFF1ZGeq5QY7

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well over the Christmas break, my brother & I introduced my girls to Catan. With age and experience I won the first game. Used the longest road card - quietly - and development cards to my advantage and snuck in a solid win

The second game, my older daughter learned quickly. Thanks to my brother & I not paying close attention to initial set up - we set next to a hex with a 12, some odd dice rolls - 9 was most often rolled and 4 was rolled a lot to which helped my older daughter, and in the whole game 7 & 10 were only rolled once each which ham strung my brother and I, my girls had an advantage in the second game. Then they quickly worked together to contain my brother & I and then they broke my longest road to steal those points from me at the end. Plus my older daughter learned to trade at advantage when needed, at disadvantage to keep her sister working with her and to get rid of extra cards (just incase the 7 was ever rolled). With that, she dominated me my brother and her sister - she had some bad luck herself and couldn't focus on a strategy).

Then we played "Say Anything" 3 times. The girls and the whole family had a blast ! Had to edit the questions a few times for my younger girls, well .... my brother & I had to edit our answers for my younger girls.

Then, we played "Exploding kittens". Again fun, and my younger daughter got vicious. A well though out executed attack on my brother's wife had her out on the 2nd round. I was so proud. Vicious, focused and no mercy !!!!

Now the girls have 'Sheriff of Nottingham' , Monarch, and Diplomacy, plus a couple of card games to try that they got under the tree to try out
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well last night my girls and I played a 'walk through talk through' round of grizzled. We played all cards up and talked through the options each round. With that we did survive. However, even with talking through the game, it was a nearly run thing.

once we play for real ... it will be brutal !

The good thing is that unlike all our other games, it mandates me and the girls play as a team and help each other the whole game.

Then we opened Monarch ... unlike grizzled, there was NO team work here. It started out not so blood thirsty. Then, soon enough brutal. My younger girl right out of the gate claimed the might banner. That gave her the ability to sweep the market on her turn for free. Which she did. Time and time and time again. No planning for the next few round with her. Get what you can when you have the chance or it will be gone the next round.

I did get a little tricky in getting a card that would let me get points on my older girls improvements to the farms and towns. Soon enough she figured it out and got a card that let her get points off my improvements. However ... my younger girl figured it out and right at the end of the game went through and put her own improvements on top of ours. Even if they didn't help her out, they took points from her sister and me. I did hamper her with 'un wanted guests' to take some of her points away at the end, but it wasn't enough. She won hands down.

Vicious, brutal, focused, planned. I'm so proud ;)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

We played Nemesis with 5 players. Recently kickstarted "Alien" type survival game. 5 people, 3 escaped, 2 dead, 2 met victory conditions. It took about 2.5 hours with two new players. The game is fun, not all that complicated, difficult to win, and the figures are beautiful, I can't wait to paint them.

Mickey3
Henchman

Post by Mickey3 »

Are you playing "Ten Patti"? Looks like interesting to me.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Betrayal Legacy.

A legacy version of Betrayal At House on the Hill was never needed. Kinda neat in theory, but actual replay is boring and "characters" don't really advance in anything.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

There was a vendor at Gary Con this year selling a bunch of different hex and chit war games from Decision Games. I grabbed about 6 of them and am really looking forward to playing them. I think first up will be "Caesar's War." After the con, I checked out Decision Games's website. They have a bunch of war games, including a 3rd edition of Imperium Romanum. I got the second edition of Imperium Romanum at Gen Con back around 1990. The game is ridiculously massive and I never even came close to playing it. The game has a crap ton of scenarios (I believe it includes every major military event in ancient Rome's history). One of the scenarios is listed as taking an estimated 100 hours to play. I kind of want to buy the new edition just so I can have it on my bookshelf again (my copy of the second edition vanished somewhere over the last 30 years), but that's a lot of money to throw away on a book end.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

The other night, after a long day of soccering, the girls and I drug out Catan, and brow beat my loving wife into playing it with us.

I (and my daughters too) forgot just how important initial starting placement of the settlements are. With that (and due to some unlucky odds bending dice rolls) my wife was the only one with access to a critical resource. She had the advantage right out of the gate. Then, once my older daughter got enough to open up her access to it to, she conspired with her mom for both of them to build roads as quickly as possible to block me and her younger sister from any access to it. Then she made better trading deals with me and her sister than her mom would and made sure when either of us rolled to move the bandit we used it to ham string her mom. With that she came from behind and pulled out a win.

Loved it . Control the supply, make favorable trade alliances, barter from a position of strength, isolate your main competitor.

If they are like this with Catan, when we do break out Diplomacy I'm sure it will be brutal!

C&C Society

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

The holiday weekend saw two games of Scythe (we're playing the Rise of Fenris campaign) and Age of Mythology. We used to AoM all the time 10 or more years ago, but it's showing it's age now. Still, nothing a house rule or two couldn't fix.

andrew8461320
Henchman

Post by andrew8461320 »

I am playing Secrets of the Lost Tomb game because this is my favourite.
I read the abandoned empress manga at yomanga and This is one of the best place to read manga.

Tim25N
Henchman

Post by Tim25N »

I usually play Zombicide: Green Horde and Hero Quest. I don't know why, but these games are exciting for me!

TopEssayServices
Henchman

Post by TopEssayServices »

Excellent! I am playing GTA!!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well this is leaning forward a bit, and it isn't truly a 'board game', however, my older daughter has developed an interest in miniature war games and that is dragging my younger daughter along for the ride. So, I've dusted off my ole Piquet rules, printed reams of paper minies and paper 3 D houses etc for them to do 'arts and crafts' with, and this weekend or next weekend at the latest My older daughter's Greek wing with her sister's Celt ally contingent will try and push my Persian fast raid force off the table !

C&C Society

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Re-discovered an old boardgame I had gifted to me as a kid. It's called Sirocco - Desert Raiders Battle Game (from TSR).

From the box description it reads:

SIROCCO is an exciting game of desert combat for two players. Simple and easy to learn, battle develops fast and furiously! Each player represents one side in a highly abstracted WWII North Africa desert battle. Using order cards, they maneuver various units and attempt to capture or kill their opponents' general. Basic and advanced rules are included.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

1 girl has the heart of a role player, the other has the mind of a war gamer ...

We have been cutting out and basing all the paper minis to make 2 allied Greek & Celt wings and my Persion raiding army. As we worked it was fun to see the differences in the girls thought process

My older ... all logic ... why would these units have no armor (skirmish peltists), what would you use these (medium armored allied hoplites) for. Why would you have a unit of conscripted militia for ? they are to week (she was appalled at the thought of cannon fodder to absorb a barrage or 2 of arrows or soak up the first round or 2 of javelins and if she is lucky they will force the units that have only javelins to retreat because they have use all their limited number of throwing spears on common weak militia and not on the real attacking force, or as bait to lure an enemy into attacking the weak militia at the point in the line you want them to focus on). How do you win with a slow moving phalanx , why doesn't the enemy just avoid them ... all good logic war game questions

My younger, the role player of the 2 ... every mini has a name, the unit has a history and semi mythic background, and she just can't wait to let the barbarian rush at my wicker shield troops and unleash her berserkers on whoever (my forces or her sister's allied forces which ever is closer to them) She just smiled and shrugged when I explained an uncontrolled charge is considered a bad thing and a weakness of the barbarian type armies ... I will say she has taken the Celt barbarian mindset to heart. She has already drawn out battle plans and unit lay outs . She needs work on protecting her flank. But, she is all in for the rush charge. She will either win it all and plow through me with waive after waive of attacks hit me, or she will go down an a huge bloody blaze of barbarian fueled glory !

Hopefully the dice will fly this weekend and we will see

C&C Society

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Sounds awesome. What rules/game are you using for this? My two boys might find this fun too. Thanks.

Lurker wrote:1 girl has the heart of a role player, the other has the mind of a war gamer ...

We have been cutting out and basing all the paper minis to make 2 allied Greek & Celt wings and my Persion raiding army. As we worked it was fun to see the differences in the girls thought process

My older ... all logic ... why would these units have no armor (skirmish peltists), what would you use these (medium armored allied hoplites) for. Why would you have a unit of conscripted militia for ? they are to week (she was appalled at the thought of cannon fodder to absorb a barrage or 2 of arrows or soak up the first round or 2 of javelins and if she is lucky they will force the units that have only javelins to retreat because they have use all their limited number of throwing spears on common weak militia and not on the real attacking force, or as bait to lure an enemy into attacking the weak militia at the point in the line you want them to focus on). How do you win with a slow moving phalanx , why doesn't the enemy just avoid them ... all good logic war game questions

My younger, the role player of the 2 ... every mini has a name, the unit has a history and semi mythic background, and she just can't wait to let the barbarian rush at my wicker shield troops and unleash her berserkers on whoever (my forces or her sister's allied forces which ever is closer to them) She just smiled and shrugged when I explained an uncontrolled charge is considered a bad thing and a weakness of the barbarian type armies ... I will say she has taken the Celt barbarian mindset to heart. She has already drawn out battle plans and unit lay outs . She needs work on protecting her flank. But, she is all in for the rush charge. She will either win it all and plow through me with waive after waive of attacks hit me, or she will go down an a huge bloody blaze of barbarian fueled glory !

Hopefully the dice will fly this weekend and we will see

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

dachda wrote:
Sounds awesome. What rules/game are you using for this? My two boys might find this fun too. Thanks.

Piquet as the master rules with the Archon supplement to modify the rules from the standard 'Napoleon' focus to the ancient timeframe.

From all the war game rules I've used over the years, I like Piquet the most. It uses cards to make the game more random and simulate 'fog of war' better than standard rules that follow the "you shoot arrows I shoot arrows, you move, I move, you attack/I defend then I attack/you defend, wash rinse repeat" flow of war games.

If your boys are interested in war games I'd recommend Piquet. Also If you don't have lead painted, I have a TON of paper minis I can send to you if you need them. If your boys like them you can get them for yourself from drive through RPG and get the era that your boys like.

C&C Society

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Lurker wrote:
dachda wrote:

Piquet as the master rules with the Archon supplement to modify the rules from the standard 'Napoleon' focus to the ancient timeframe.

From all the war game rules I've used over the years, I like Piquet the most. It uses cards to make the game more random and simulate 'fog of war' better than standard rules that follow the "you shoot arrows I shoot arrows, you move, I move, you attack/I defend then I attack/you defend, wash rinse repeat" flow of war games.

If your boys are interested in war games I'd recommend Piquet. Also If you don't have lead painted, I have a TON of paper minis I can send to you if you need them. If your boys like them you can get them for yourself from drive through RPG and get the era that your boys like.
Thanks. I took a look at the website. My guys are too young still for the game. I'll have to keep it in mind when they are a bit older. I'm also hoping to get them interested in my go-to wargame, Advanced Squadleader. They definitely need a few more years before they're ready for that one.

Joen Nordis
Henchman

Post by Joen Nordis »

This weekend was Terraforming Mars with the Prelude and Venus expansions and Cards against Humanity