Adventurers Back Pack

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Adventurers Back Pack

Post by Captain_K »

What do you all think about it? Its finished... I like the expanded spells, the retro fit of the three core fighter classes to get some spells, etc.

I never used Unearthed Arcana much.. hope I use this more.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Re: Adventurers Back Pack

Post by finarvyn »

I guess the best thing that I see about it is that it helps show that the game is growing and isn't stagnant. I had a similar feeling about the CKG, where I appreciate it but hardly ever use it.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Like the two of the classes, the others just don't inspire me much. Really like the expanded equipment and pre-made packs, spell casting version of the three core classes, and planar cosmology section. The new spells are decent but more in a utility sense than kick butt for goodness sense. A solid resource book overall for those desiring it.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

finarvyn wrote:I guess the best thing that I see about it is that it helps show that the game is growing and isn't stagnant. I had a similar feeling about the CKG, where I appreciate it but hardly ever use it.
I fully agree with this. This book was needed from that aspect. I am enjoying it.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I like that there are the Ranger, Paladin, and Bard with spell casting like in the old days... did they always have this idea or did Domesday help it along?

I like many of the classes as NPCs... I think its time to list out the "abilities" of all classes, the HD, the weapon and armor use and find a balancing point system to have a "create your" class tool.. to help keep it balanced.

Not looked at the new spells, but introduced into a game is always fun.

More stuff written for equipment is nice.

I got the PH and back pack back to back.. cool idea.

You know its coming, the giant PH, std, backpack, and Ahrde all rolled and combined into one..
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Post by Spade Marlowe »

I backed the kickstarter mainly for the backpacks. My players are fairly new to rpg's in general, so equipping characters becomes more analysis-paralysis than anything else. Just having pre-generated backpacks is a huge time saver. So for that reason, I'm happy.

Overall, I think the new classes are pretty decent. Some are seem to fit in certain settings (i.e. the Pacer seems to be geared towards an urban setting, not too sure how well it would play in a dungeon crawl). However, I like that the concepts for many of these classes are really different than most of the archetypes I've seen in other games.

Extra spells and expanded equipment lists are just bonuses.

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

I was on the fence with this, but just ordered a discounted 'ding' copy. Who knows how much will actually see play, but it generates ideas that's the thing!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

spudeus wrote:I was on the fence with this, but just ordered a discounted 'ding' copy. Who knows how much will actually see play, but it generates ideas that's the thing!
Nice grab.

I was about to got for it!

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth