Star Victory

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Star Victory

Post by Lurker »

Ok, my younger daughter is forcing my hand.

We were going to play another game of our Modern Victory game this weekend, but last night we watched SW 1. After the movie, while we were talking about gaming she asked if there was a way to play Star Wars … We talked about D6 Star Wars, and changing Victory to Star Wars … Her eyes lit up at it, especially when I said it would be just like Modern victory, so she wouldn’t have to learn new rules. I’d just have to make a few changes

A few changes … me and my big mouth … a few changes that I have been thinking about for years but done nothing with the get them in anywhere near a working order.

Then to make it worse … she wants to play a Jedi . SO I HAVE TO MAKE house rules for all that force power stuff.

Character creation – as per book – possibly, starting with by the book, plus 3 skills (for character history /back ground etc). maybe starting with 2 primes … I’ll have to play around a little to see what is the right starting character feel (I’ll give her a few extra points at character creation since she is playing a solo game)

Skills – by the book, but adding
speeder (for hover cars, speeder bikes etc)
pilot (for flying atmospheric and space craft)
heavy weapons (cannons, tank weapons, & ship weapons),
navigation ( hyper space jumping etc)
Force knowledge (to have access to controlled Jedi powers – a wild force user will still have access to individual powers but less refined),
survival – space (0G and ac suite)
then of course the various mechanical / professional etc that are associated with modern future settings

Oh yeah … martial arts etc & light saber.

Melee – strength based fighting

Martial arts – dex based fighting

Anyone with a combat skill can pick up a light saber and use it. However …

Light saber skill – needed to fully utilize the offensive and defensive uses of the saber – must have at least 2 ranks in either melee or martial arts before you can have a rank in light saber, and must have at least 3 ranks in a fighting skill before you can have more than 1 rank in light saber

Also, I am too much of a fan of d6 and the various forms of saber fighting, so they will be their own skill (must have at least 3 ranks in basic light saber to select a form) & some forms will have other prerequisites

All know basic speeder enough to move a speeder down the road in a safe speed in a safe manor, but to have a chance in chasing someone down you need the skill. Similarly all are considered to have a basic skill of etiquette to fit their specific social economic situation. Skills purchased represent ability to do the common activates in stressful situations

Languages … this is tricky … Having a character spend a skill on every language is very pricy … I’ll have to think about it …

Force powers

Some are wild users or from non-Jedi traditions , so they have the powers in a less refined manor and only a few powers aviable to them.

To be a Jedi you have to have 1 point in the force skill (for a youngling / padawan) 2 points for padawan or young knight, 3 point for fully respected knight with their own padawan, and 4 points or more to be a master.

I’m not sure what ability to tie the force skill to though … has to be a mental, but I don’t know which is better – Int, Wis, & Cha all have an argument … not sure

Some powers are passive (sense, danger sense etc) and no roll is needed to activate them, but they may be tied to a skill check – wisdom based skill check to have danger sense kick in in time to negate or mitigate the danger, fail the roll and you barley have time to get you saber up and have a chance at blocking the blaster bolt

Active powers, ( force leap, telekinesis, healing etc) to activate, you have to roll a successful check on the force skill – not sure yet how to assign the challenge rating though

I haven’t thought through all the powers and how they are represented … Again I like D6, but their force powers got way to wonkie and way to crunchy … D&D 3.5 star wars is almost as bad … Like I said I’ll have to work on this

Light saber fighting (and other duels) I never liked the roll playing representation of light sabers duels – roll to hit, roll damage, other guy roll to hit roll damage, wash rinse repeat, Talk about anti cinematic anti climatic …

I worked up a fairly good usable house rule for D6 years ago. I’ll have to see how to modify it for Victorious … it boiled down to both rolling their ‘to hit’ and as long as both rolls are high enough to hit the opponent, then the total is compared, and the higher roll gets a benefit or result based of the difference. Not every result was damage, some were “get favorable ground for your next roll” (you are on top of the table with the opponent at a disadvantage and get a +??? to your next attack roll) some allowed a free action – roll a melee/martial art attack & if it hits roll that damage (you blocked the saber attack and did a force kick to the opponent’s face) and it went on from there. It worked real well in d6 the few times it happened

It works for any type of duel (to a point) so a Mandalorian with a sword against a gladiator with a what ever can use the rule – leaving out the force specific elements of the results.

It doesn’t come into play when a jedi is wading into battle against blaster armed storm troupers etc.

Victory / Force (light side) points – I treat like D6 does Force points in a way

Victory point – by the book to guarantee a success or a failure of an opponent. Use of the point to get a heroic result in a critical time in the game, and after the game ends (maybe not the session if it ends before the major events of the game / adventure are end) the point is returned.

A point is earned for truly heroic play &/or great role playing (positive role playing developing the character and bringing them more into heroic/light side – not great role playin in being a mercenary bounty hunter and selling the party’s jedi to the Empire because it fits the character’s make up), Plus the party votes on who earned a point in the session – I have in my one off game, if everyone does great in the game then they all get a point too

Jedi are more in tune with the force, so as long as they have fewer dark points than half their force skill rank, they add the number of victory/force points they have to any roll (maybe only rolls dealing with the force. I’ll have to play test it to see if it is over powering to use on all rolls)

For example – a young jedi has 3 victory points, so when they jump in the seat of the ships dorsal turret (despite having no heavy weapon skills) they add 3 to their normal result (nearly overcoming their lack of training and practice at the skill) . However, an older Jedi master – becoming jaded at the universe – with 6 force points, 5 ranks in force skills, but with 3 dark points, does not get to add the 6 to their rolls.

This is a benefit to good Jedi only, not even good 'wild users' get this benefit

Dark side points – measure the level of corruption – a Jedi is corrupted when they have more dark points than they have force skill rank (or their chrisma modifier if it is higher than their force skill rank)

They are earned any time an evil deed is done, or you do an evil that is greater than what you did before – you killed in cold blood a wounded enemy that was surrendering before and got a dark side point, now you capture another enemy and torture them before you kill them so you earn another point.

Also, when a force user uses a power in excess to painfully harm / kill an opponent – no earning a dark point if you use the force to carry your light saber and cut off the arm of an opponent holding a blaster at the head of a hostage / but you do get a point for using the same power to lift a boulder and drop it on the opponent to squash him like a bug.

The evil dead done must exceed the deed ou did before – to show the increasing corruption.

Dark Jedi & Sith (there is a difference) at times use dark points like a good guy uses light points, but they are less powerful and less reliable (not sure how to mechanic it yet)

At the least, they can’t be used as a bonus to rolls like force points & if the dark side can be better served by tempting a light side character than by giving a fully corrupted character a benefit, it will tempt the good guy. (I’ll have to be careful with the whole temptation thing with my 10 year old daughter)

However, there is conflict and war in the game (in all eras) and doing a hard thing is not dong an evil thing – a sniper shooting from a bell tower at an enemy officer does not earn a dark point for cold blooded murder – but he would if he did the same thing but targeted an non-combatant. Nor does a light side Jedi earn a dark point for using force push to knock down the said sniper before he can make the shot – he would earn a point if he concentrated and forcibly pushed him not only down to mess up the shot, but off the tower (and yes this comes from a long running argument there was in d6 years ago)

Ok, I’m tapped out for now

Let me know what you think, what holes you see in my ideas, or what I’m off track on …
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Star Victory

Post by DMMike »

Wow, you've worked on this...;) I think someone else was playing with Star Wars Victorious, have to look back on the forums.

A way around the INT/WIS/CHA issue may be to create a new attribute called "Force"; which is the average of the 3 prior attributes. Use Force for all appropriate situations, and maybe as a light-darnk point generator?

You might also add "Etiquette: Military" to avoid situations like Han in the detention area trying to bluff the I'mperial security types. LOL!

Just back from FenCon, will post when my brain repairs itself...

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Les, that's a lot of changes to remember.

Don't forget about the ideas I came up with to keep rules bloat down.

I've been thinking about this too lately. I think you can do Jedi/Sith/whatever with a Theme package.

Jedi: Intuition, Psycho-kinesis, Telepathy to start, then add Keen Senses, Healing, Mesmerism down the line.

Sith: Intuition, Psycho-kinesis, Mesmerism. Then add Keen Senses, Telepathy, etc.

It would be a way to use the existing rules without much change.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:Wow, you've worked on this...;) I think someone else was playing with Star Wars Victorious, have to look back on the forums.

A way around the INT/WIS/CHA issue may be to create a new attribute called "Force"; which is the average of the 3 prior attributes. Use Force for all appropriate situations, and maybe as a light-darnk point generator?

You might also add "Etiquette: Military" to avoid situations like Han in the detention area trying to bluff the I'mperial security types. LOL!

Just back from FenCon, will post when my brain repairs itself...

Mike

Work ... no not work ... feverously putting ideas down that have been bouncing around my head before 0 hour hits and I have to help her make a starting character.

NICE on the etiquette military. I'd never thought of that, but it works. That is why I have a few muddled ideas, any you get paid the big bucks ;)

I had a long drive to think - going to NW Arkansas and back yesterday after church to watch my older girl's final game in the soccer tournament- a devastating 5 to 1 loss, to take 2nd place in the tournament ... that is what happens when a team that is ranked between 7 & 9th in their age in OK plays a team that is solidly ranked #1 in AR for the last 2 years . At least it was 5 to 1 and not at a 6+ shut out like it was for all the other teams in the tournament that they played ... but I digress

I don't know about averaging the mental attributes to get a force attribute ... I've never liked averages it seems to ham string characters ... plus I don't want to create another attribute for force powers (says the person that always adds comeliness to his home brew game)

Maybe it could be any of the three mental attributes depending on the character's outlook of the force .. is it wisdom, is it intellectual, is it force of personality ????

I don't know

Rigon

It is just rough thoughts so I wouldn't consider it even close to a thought out house rule.

Some of it is just expanse of current skills etc which I had to do anyways for the modern game, just taken a step further for sci fi.

The force theme packages that you mention will be critical and I agree with you on them. I do have some d6 & 3.5 Star Wars bleed over that I'd expand the themes on to keep it from being cookie cutter jedi / sith.

Also, I always hated the d6 severely under powered jedi especially at low levels or the forcing the jedi to only have force powers and not competent skills or have skills and anemic force powers. All in the name of game balance ... Now there should be corresponding negative to the power of the Jedi - poverty, taking orders from the jedi order, multiple enemies that want you DEAD etc, but they should not be balanced power wise with another character at the same level.

I will admit that is personal outlook and mindset so may not be the same in everyone else's version of it.

Now, the force points and the light saber dueling ... yes those are additions to the game ... they may not be needed and may add your rule bloat and the crunch I always hate.

However, like I said, I like the d6 handling of force points and Jedi ... it gives them a bonus (helps in some ways to counter the weaker powers and skills) but also it makes the player of a jedi think real hard . Do I spend a victory point now and save the day, or do I keep it and risk the loss of the dice but keep an additional +1 that can save the day on close rolls time and time again?

For the light saber, it comes from one game back in the day ... My Jedi came up against the big bad Sith that had been an enemy for the entire campaign. A true thorn in the side game after game, either in the shadows or in the open ... finally I had him in a fair fight ... I rolled a critical hit and maxed damage, he fumbled, so I got a free hit, again big damage, I hit again and did good damage, he missed, I hit and he died ... that was it that was the big cinematic fight with the big bad guy ... Talk about un satisfying !

From that time on I have hated the standard role playing rules handling of jedi duels ... No game by the book has got it correct in a way that matches the movies and their saber fights

I can't remember where exactly I got the frame work for the idea probably someone else's house rule in d6 SW, but I morphed it and grew it.

The balance of it is that it isn't for every fight, just for those duels between Jedi / sith or the like. It has no effect on most fights with the jedi blocking blaster bolts, leaping and cutting off arms, etc. Only when 2 duelists stand eye to eye and try to best each other.

I did use it a few times in d6 years ago and it worked fairly well - doesn't slow down the game to much as long as the GM can math fairly well. I don't think it will be even that hard with Victorious since it is a d20 roll and not tossing hands full of d6, looking for exploding dice, counting them all up etc etc etc.

At the least it does give a more cinematic feel to those duels.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I’ve been reading over my old copies of SW D6 and the house rules / expanded rules ( REUP from the Rancor Pit) etc. Trying to tighten up my ideas for Star Victory before my little one tosses the dice to make her character (probably Saturday afternoon)

For skills, D6 has over 100 skills. I think that is a little excessive ! However, the Victory skills list does need expanse (to a point) for Sci Fi. I know Mike did his update for Blakes7, so it is a given I’ll add those, plus the ones I mentioned earlier.

Plus the skill ‘profession’ can cover a lot of ground and take care a lot of different skills that don’t need to be listed.

Now a question … looking at it like a rules lawyer type here – because of groups I played in or GMed back in the day, not the current Monday night Ne er d wells or my girls … for the profession type skills, would something like “space ship crew” cover maintenance, operations etc of all the systems on the ship ?

I can see one of the guys I gamed with back in the day arguing that his profession at prophecy level 3 allowed him to repair anything on the ship, man the guns, read the sensors, run the nav computer, and anything else he could think of as being remotely associated with being a crew member at that level

I think profession should be flexible, but not a carte blanche. I’m just not sure how to define the limit of the skill though.

Ok now for the force powers

Again starting from d6, there are over 75 Powers . WAY to many, I’ll admit that I have never liked how d6 does the force powers . Then there are 3 separate types of force skills, and the various force powers can be form one, 2 or all 3 of the type of force skills and depending on your level of each type of force skills depends on how many dice you roll on the specific force power being used .

Way to muddled

Then, some of the force powers, especially as the game expanded going from what is shown in the movies and even in the extended universe of the books and animation series. To the point where there are force powers for flight, the ability to engulf yourself in force powered fire, etc etc.

So with that, I’m paring back from the toooo d6 bloated list of powers

From the movies; the ones I can easily define or give an example on

Mesmerism - is a given “These aren’t the droids you are looking for … nothing to see here, move along”

Keen sense - “reach out with your feelings” (to sense the training remote) “You are right I did feel something“

Intuition - Obi stepping into a side hallway as guards walk by

Enhance abilities – increasing dex and con (and you can expand that to include strength with very little argument) – Luke running through the swamp doing flips over logs, balancing on 1 hand with yoda balanced on his feet

Psyco Kinetics – at the same time he balanced he is lifting rocks with his mind, and yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp

Invulnerability - Vader absorbing Han’s blaster shot

Telepathy – “A sister … Obi wan was wise to hide her … your feelings betray you”

Blast - Sith force lightning from the Emperor attacking Luke after the duel with Vader

Environment Resistance – Qui-Jon & Obi-Wan surviving the gas attack in the room on the Trade Guild command ship

Fast movement – Qui -Jon & Obi-Wan sprinting down the hall away from the droids with shield generators

I’m sure I’ve missed some of the obvious ones

However, there are ones I’m not sure on

Luke’s leap out of the carbonite freezing pit on cloud City, his leaping from the speeder to Jaba’s ship, Qui Jon & Obi’s drop 60 + feet down from the air shaft to the landing deck on the Trade Guild command ship. Is that TK, is it enhance attributes, or is it something else ?????

Luke mentally calling out to Lea for help as he dangles off the antenna at the base of cloud city while the Falcon is flying away. Is it an expanded use of telepathy

Vader’s famous mental choking with the force. Is it PK or is it another specific power (I can see it being that, but after years of d6 I’ve argument after argument why it is separate)

Oh yeah … speaking of that, Vader’s pelting Luke with crates etc in their duel. I’d argue it is again PK. However, when can TK go from being something like moving an object into using it (or a lot of smaller objects) as a weapon. It did come up in my girls Modern Victory game but I never asked the question here to clarify it.

Also, the famous Jedi danger sense … is it intuition, is it probability manipulation, is it something else …

R

You theme packet for Jedi & sith are a good start and cover all the bases for the character at starting level. I can’t see a lower level character needing (or having the points available to purchase the powers) to have environmental resistance , fast movement, or blast . But eventually, as they grow in power, those more advanced/specific force powers will be …

Ok, I’m tapped out now …

I’ll try and put together a few class archetypes and hang them here before the dice fly Saturday – I am going to need some NPCs fleshed out for my older daughter to run …

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:However, there are ones I’m not sure on

Luke’s leap out of the carbonite freezing pit on cloud City, his leaping from the speeder to Jaba’s ship, Qui Jon & Obi’s drop 60 + feet down from the air shaft to the landing deck on the Trade Guild command ship. Is that TK, is it enhance attributes, or is it something else ?????

Luke mentally calling out to Lea for help as he dangles off the antenna at the base of cloud city while the Falcon is flying away. Is it an expanded use of telepathy

Vader’s famous mental choking with the force. Is it PK or is it another specific power (I can see it being that, but after years of d6 I’ve argument after argument why it is separate)

Oh yeah … speaking of that, Vader’s pelting Luke with crates etc in their duel. I’d argue it is again PK. However, when can TK go from being something like moving an object into using it (or a lot of smaller objects) as a weapon. It did come up in my girls Modern Victory game but I never asked the question here to clarify it.

Also, the famous Jedi danger sense … is it intuition, is it probability manipulation, is it something else …
Easily covered by PK, Telepathy, and Intuition. I really think you could boil Force powers down to a handful of V SPs. But I like to keep things simple.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I don't know about the others, mostly I'd say they are uses of a Victory Point to guarantee a success in jumping/telepathy;etc.

For the crate barrage on Luke by Vader, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they come at him one at a time. Fast I'll grant you, but not 2-3 at once?

Perhaps Luke rolled a "1" on his light saber deflection, which explains why he was staggering around the drop on cloud city?

Mike, still chewing!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
Lurker wrote:However, there are ones I’m not sure on

Easily covered by PK, Telepathy, and Intuition. I really think you could boil Force powers down to a handful of V SPs. But I like to keep things simple.

R-

Ok, I'll admit that I am a rules tinker and sometime that makes my ideas a little more crunch than I like ... That is why I ask you all to reign me in a little.

I also agree that those could be boiled down to PK etc.

That said, if your default mindset for SW RPG is d6, like mine is, then taking the force powers from 77 down to 10 is ... just a hand full and keeping it more simple ??? At least I'm not trying to shoe horn most of those 70+ into our system here ...

Mike

I'd hope those examples aren't all use of victory points ... I picture a victory point as the shot to destroy the Death Star, while flying down a canyon, and dodging enemy shots, as your astrodroid is busy fixing your damaged fighter ...

Now I will agree with you on Luke rolling a 1 on his light saber defense ... he'd have been better of trying to duck and roll out of the way than he was by trying to block them and swinging and missing them as badly as he did ... That is a great example of bolowing a roll (or an example of Vader getting a nat 20 on his attack rolls ...

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

not as polished as I'd like, but I want to get them up before I go to baby v 2's soccer game

SV Archetypes

Soldier

The universe is full of militia members, clones warriors, mercenaries and armed forces, all of which are trained to be the fodder for the incessant wars. However, few are truly an archetypical soldier. An individual that is the panicle of the arts of warfare. An archetypical soldier shoots a little more accurately, attacks a little more precisely (and deals a little more damage from those attacks) than other more common soldiers.

HP – D10
Primes – At least 2 of the 3 physical attributes, if not all 3, can also have wisdom or Charisma

Skills
Fire arms – rank 2
Melee (or Martial Arts depending on style preference) – rank 1
Etiquette – Military – rank 1
Roguery – rank 1
Survival – background choice – rank 1
Survival – other choice – rank1 1
Choice of 1 combat support skill – rank 1
Missile – thrown weapons and indirect fire/rocket type weapons – rank 1

Powers
Knack – combat
Robust –
Might – 1 extra damage dice on all attacks

Shortcoming
Enemy (There are ALWAYS at least 2 sides to a war …
Not own person – there is always an nco officer or some other person in charge that can control the soldier …
Notorious (You personally may not be well known, but the reputation of your unit proceeds you; Civilians may not know your unit, but your demeanor stance and appearance are unsettling)
Can also have phobia, watched, poverty as additional shortcomings to get additional points to buy more primes/skills powers

Equipment
Blaster rifle
Blaster pistol
Armor – vest and helmet
Utility belt – basic combat/survival items
Com link x2 (1 in helmet & one hand held)
grenades x3
Med kit (x5 uses)
Personal times

Archetype Bounty hunter

When the government becomes authoritarian, the laws become harsh. When the laws are harsh, criminals increase. Where there are criminals, there are those that hunt them for profit. Even in the most benign of regimes, there are always some that will turn to (or be forced into) the criminal life. So even in the most peaceful of eras, there is still some need for those willing to hunt (for profit) criminals .

HP – D10
Primes – At least 2 of the 3 physical attributes, if not all 3, should also have at least wisdom or Charisma

Skills
Fire arms – rank 1
Melee (or Martial Arts depending on style preference) – rank 1
Etiquette – crass – rank 1
Etiquette – criminal rank 1
Roguery – rank 1
Criminology – rank 1
Survival – background choice – rank 1
Choice of 1 combat support skill – rank 1
Drive - …

Powers
Knack – combat or investigation
Robust –
Stun – any attack, whether ranged or hand-to-hand, can do stun damage – forcing target to make con save or be under the effect of an entangle power

Shortcoming
Enemy (someone that hunts criminals always have people that HATE them) can be selected more than once for additional …
Watched (even those that hire bounty hunters do not fully trust them.…
Notorious (You personally may not be well known, but there reputation of your job proceeds you; Civilians may not know your, but your demeanor stance and appearance are unsettling)
Can also have phobia, watched, poverty as additional shortcomings to get ….

Equipment
Blaster rifle
Blaster pistol
Armor – vest and helmet
Utility belt – basic combat/survival items
Com link x2 (1 in helmet & one hand held
Data pad – can link to law enforcement and security systems etc)
restraints

Med kit (x5 uses)
Personal times

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, no comments on the archetypes

I must have perfected them on first try or they are so bad they don't deserve comment ;)

Of course my girls made making the character more difficult than I planned ... lots of what ifs and what about doing this ... even the older little one asked a lot of questions about the NPSc what they will do etc - for someone that didn't want to make a character, she was sure inquisitive ...

I think it will be easier to do her Jedi powers theme than it was getting the skills mostly worked through ...

With that, I ended up putting together a rough list of skills , and the attribute(s) associated with them

I did my best to add the 'middle ground' on the individual skills vs professions. As I thought of it, I liked the idea of the profession getting a basic knowledge of all the skills and systems, but for rank 2 it has to be focused on the specific skill system

I also added pilot skill with it you can fly anything, and kept profession starship with can fly star ships (but not things like snow speeders pod racers etc). I think it is a good balanced with various options ...

With that, here you all go.

Victorious Skills with Star Victory
1 Prime /1 Skill + int modifier
Acrobatics – Dex
Criminology – Int/Wis
Disguise – Wis
Etiquette – Polite (mid & upper class) – Cha
Etiquette – Crass (lower class) – Cha
Etiquette – Military – CHA
Etiquette – Criminal – Cha
Fine Art – Cha/Dex
Fire Arms – Dex
History/Legend – Int
Language – (language groups) Int
Martial Arts –All forms of Dex based combat ; with and without weapons – Dex
Melee – All forms of Str based combat; with and without weapons – Str
Missile – Thrown/Bow/Grenade Launcher/ Rocket etc – Dex
Occult – Int/Wis
Prime – Buys another attribute as a Prime
Profession –See below – Various
Roguery – Dex/Wis
Science- See Below – Various
Survival – Specific terrain – Dex / Wis
Target – Wis
Thespian (acting) – Wis
Wealth – Cha

Drive – Ground vehicle/Hover car/motorcycle/Speeder bike – Dex / Wis
Pilot – Aircraft/space craft/Snow speeders – Dex / Wis
Heavy Weapons – Crew served/cannon/Ship mounted weapons - ???
Light Saber – must have melee or martial arts at rank 2 – anyone with melee/martial Arts can use a saber as a basic weapon, but can’t use it to its greatest efficiency (deflecting blaster bolts etc)
Force knowledge – Wis (possible int & Cha too)

Profession – not complete list
Star ship – Rank 1
Allows use for all basic systems – does not allow piloting of snow speeders/sir craft pod racers etc – only space craft (In space and in atmosphere)
Rank 2 and above - must select specific system (for piloting, the skill can be considered rank 2 if also selects the profession
Astrogation/Navigation, Piloting, Repair (basic repair only - for in-depth repair it takes mechanic profession ), Engineering, sensors, communications, Weapons System, Shields …

Mechanic – Rank 1 …
Allows use for all basic systems – does not allow piloting of snow speeders/sir craft pod racers etc – only space craft (In space and in atmosphere)
Rank 2 and above - must select specific system to repair
Robot, vehicle, star ship, ……

Smuggler ; Diplomat ; Military

Science - not complete list ...
Medical – all have basic 1st aid – this is needed for EMT/Medic/Dr/Surgeon type skills
Computer – hacking/programing/modifying software
Astronomy – movement of interaction between stars planets asteroid belts etc

So what do you think - comments welcome :mrgreen:

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Regarding the archtypes, I've gotta admit I've never been comfortable with SW or ST as campaign games so I really can't say. They...look good?

Good list of skills, and I never thought of describing Martial Arts as any DEX based weapons vis a vis Melee as STR based weapons. Pretty nifty!

I'd probably say just drop Occult and replace it with Force knowledge. But that's just me. Maybe make it Sith lore?

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I have Occult (Force) as the only option for Occult. I never thought to break it out into other areas like Sith. Food for thought.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:Regarding the archtypes, I've gotta admit I've never been comfortable with SW or ST as campaign games so I really can't say. They...look good?

Good list of skills, and I never thought of describing Martial Arts as any DEX based weapons vis a vis Melee as STR based weapons. Pretty nifty!

I'd probably say just drop Occult and replace it with Force knowledge. But that's just me. Maybe make it Sith lore?

Mike
They ... look good ??? well I'll take it ;)

That was the easiest way to define if to my girls when I started modern victory. It seemed to work well, so I kept it that way.

I hate to admit it, but occult was left in the list by mistake ... I meant to take it out when I added the Star Wars items.

However, I do like your point on Occult / Sith lore ...

I'm not planning on going to deep on sith with my little girls, but with wider audience of more mature (read not 10 - 12 year old girls) that may be a viable option.

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Well, let he who does not have a book out with "see page XX" in it cast the first stone on typos. ;)

Agreed about keeping it (dare I say) "Grand" for the tweens. Still a good use on what is essentially a skill on very unusual knowledge. History/Legend might work for it, but this isn't something you can find on Trivial Pursuit; its the Sith!

Keep it up, I do enjoy reading the fine details...

Mike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:Well, let he who does not have a book out with "see page XX" in it cast the first stone on typos. ;)

Agreed about keeping it (dare I say) "Grand" for the tweens. Still a good use on what is essentially a skill on very unusual knowledge. History/Legend might work for it, but this isn't something you can find on Trivial Pursuit; its the Sith!

Keep it up, I do enjoy reading the fine details...

Mike
& you can't understand how so much it IS NOT like me to 'keep it grand' ... However, the girls in their own time in their own ways will bump into enough darkness ... ne reason for me to introduce them to my own special flavor of it. So grand and good and no exploring the deep dark depths and no temptations ...

I don't think history/legend would work for the underling raw use of the power ... Sure on the "Have you heard the tragic tale of Datrh Pladious ..." That would be a perfect fit for history legend, but not tapping into the force itself.

Ok, if you want details ...

I learned my lesson from 101 questions on the skills the other night & though ahead to the force powers before we tackle that part of her character tomorrow ...

Here you go

It goes without saying, point out any holes, loopholes, and flaws you all see. I'd rather it come up here among friends instead of in the middle of the game .

Some are wild users or from non-Jedi traditions , so they have the powers in a less refined manner or and only a few powers available to them. Can’t buy force powers as a package/theme

To be a Jedi you have to have:
1 point in the force skill (for a youngling / padawan)
2 points for padawan or young knight,
3 point for fully respected knight with their own padawan,
4 points or more to be a master.

Jedi / Force powers

Mesmerism - “These aren’t the droids you are looking for … nothing to see here, move along” – target saves against Jedi’s level + ranks in power

Keen sense - “reach out with your feelings” -
rank 1 Jedi is at +5 to any physical sense check,
Rank 2 or more, senses through the force (so does not need to see/hears etc) ,
Rank 4 can sense ‘ripples’ in the force to feel an active force use nearby, a force uses that over uses the force, death of multiple Jedi at once, a whole world crying out at once then going silent

Intuition - Obi stepping into a side hallway as guards walk by before the guard has a chance to see him – rank 1 by the book (can’t be surprised, +5 initiative)
rank 2 or above + 10 Init, wisdom check + level + rank vs challenge rating ??? to sense attacks in time to prepare for them
Rank 4 or above – can sense a path to, around, though, or to ambush the danger

Enhance abilities – increasing physical abilities – by the book

Psyco Kinetics – lifting rocks with mind –
Rank 1 - can force open doors. (except for sealed blast doors), turn on/off shield projectors, lift objects as by the book, can use item(s) to trip, obscure, annoy, slow, but can’t do damage
Rank 2 or higher – can begin to do damage with item(s) – damage depends on weight lifted thrown dropped on the opponent; can use it to slow a fall or boost a jump etc – may require a dex/acrobatics check to land safely (with grace)
Rank 3 or higher – can use power to accurately throw guide and attack with melee weapon / light saber ; can do force choke etc

Invulnerability - Vader absorbing Han’s blaster shot - by the book
Rank 1 – Jedi must have light saber to block/absorb damage
Rank 3 – can block absorb both force and blaster attacks ; can redirect blaster attacks (requires a to hit roll at -2 to the roll)
Rank 5 – Jedi no longer need light saber to absorb the damage (still need it to redirect blaster shots, but attack is not at -2)

Telepathy – “A sister … Obi wan was wise to hide her … your feelings betray you” – by the book – save may be modified by circumstances (in a duel being mocked and concentrating on that and letting your thoughts slip etc)

Environment Resistance – Qui-Jon & Obi-Wan surviving the gas attack in the room on the Trade Guild command ship – by the book

Lightening movement – Qui -Jon & Obi-Wan sprinting down the hall away from the droids with shield generators – by the book, but instead of dex, is tied to enhance abilities power, can never have more ranks of lightning speed than ranks of enhance abilities

Heal – by the book

Sith only
Blast - Sith force lightning from the Emperor attacking Luke after the duel with Vader
Phantasm – by the book – if opponent has keen sense or telepathy at a rank equal to the Sith’s rank of Phantasm, they sense something is wrong with a wisdom check ; if their rank is higher than the rank in phantasm, they are immune to the power.

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Looks reasonable. You infer it, but you might want to specify that the Invulnerability (unlike in the book) is something you must concentrate on. I'm thinking more Vader's parrying of Han's blaster shots and not so much light saber parrying?

Mike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:Looks reasonable. You infer it, but you might want to specify that the Invulnerability (unlike in the book) is something you must concentrate on. I'm thinking more Vader's parrying of Han's blaster shots and not so much light saber parrying?

Mike

Oh, didn't even think about that . Thanks

C&C Society