Star Wars Victorious

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Star Wars Victorious

Post by Lurker »

Poop .... I either am not that bright or I hit my head once to many times jumping ... I just realized I was jacked up ... you get 3 powers + your cha bonus, not 1 + the bonus (like for skills and the int bonus) Sooooo a starting character isn't as bad off as I originally thought. The bad thing is I need to rework my characters for Tree's game ...

Looking at it with the increased points of 3+ cha, I think a normal character may be a touch under powered, but not nearly as much as I thought in the above post. 3-4 points, and then a short coming or 2 should make a fairly good character.

As for a jedi ... not sure, they may be a bit more underpowered, but we'll see. Of course they will need a high cha, and at least ...3 .... 4 ... short comings and they will be functioning. Not sure if they will be powerful enough, but that is what play testing is for ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'll try to do write ups of Han, Luke, and Leia sometime this week. That way you can see how I'm thinking things should start out.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Look forward to seeing those, R! I've been playing with Victorious for the BBC show Blakes7 as well so it'll be interesting to see how you do it. Not that B7 has SW's level of tech or Jedi/Sith...but space is space, right?

GM (Spaced) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:I'll try to do write ups of Han, Luke, and Leia sometime this week. That way you can see how I'm thinking things should start out.

R-
Rgr, look forward to seeing them to see how off the mark I was. However, I hate to admit it, but my first try was as jacked up as it was ... I can't believe I messed up as bad as I did on the first try ... But, I did catch it before I posted my examples and showed my ineptitude in reading to everyone here ! ;)

I'm not sure Han even in ANH would be a 1st level character, but Luke & Leia .... yeah 1st level (with extra points in whining for Luke)

After you hang them, (and if my tries are in the ball park) I'll hang them and we can use them for inspiration /templates

"Spaced Mike" ... B7, never heard of it ... what is it?

Hmmmm Han, ...... I think the Falcon would almost be a character unto herself ... more than just a gadget for Han to trip around the galaxy in. It has its own short falls history etc ... hmmmm just food for thought, no way I'd put that much effort into 1st level characters and their ship ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Building the characters in the Star Wars Movie should be different than 1st level starting characters to play a fresh game. Luke Skywalker would be multiclass, but most Jedi start young as trainees and would only have Jedi training and skills.

I built a Kai Lord with Victorious, which would be comparable to a Jedi. I did assume a 13 in intelligence and a 13 in charisma. I also used two short comings. This would provide one prime, one skill, and three powers plus one power for the 13 cha and two powers for the two short comings. In addition, you would have one skill for the 13 int. So that would total six powers and two skills and one prime.

I would treat the light saber as a piece of gear like a blaster. If you want to get more out of it you invest in powers or skills to improve its abilities. Some starting Jedi might focus on force powers, some might focus on working with the light saber, and other Jedi might focus on their attributes. They could all be Jedi and all playable characters. As they advance in levels they would probably gain similar abilities, but have acquired them at different rates and time basically levels.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Lurker wrote:"Spaced Mike" ... B7, never heard of it ... what is it?
Sorry, "Blakes7" is a late 70s-early 80s (1978-1981) scifi series that ran on the BBC. Its creator Terry nation referred to it as the "Dirty Dozen" in space. F/X were bad but the stories were good if somewhat dark.

More here: http://blakes7.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here is an "updated" version of my Star Wars thing.

Star Wars: Victorious
A Star Wars Adaptation for Victorious

Character Creation:
All SW:V characters are created by the Victorious rules.

Species
Humans (as the rules)
Aliens (developed by the GM on a case by case basis)
Example: Wookies: A wookie character receives the following Super Natural Powers for free: Attribute (applicable to Strength and Constitution only) Rank 1, Robust Rank 2, Super Movement (Climbing) Rank 1

Skills
Fire Arms would be for blasters
Occult would only be associated with the Force
Profession would include things like Pilot, Imperial Navy, Smuggler, Technician etc.
Survival would only apply to ecosystems and include Space as an ecosystem
Science would include things like Mechanical Engineering, Computers, Astrogation, etc.

Supernatural Powers
Not all Supernatural Powers will be available.
Open to all characters: Attribute, Intuition, Knack, Luck, Might, and Robust
Open only to Force Users: A Force using character must have at least 1 rank in Intuition to select any Supernatural Power associated with the Force: Blast (Force Lightning), Healing, Intuition, Keen Senses, Mesmerize, Psycho-kinesis, Reflection (energy), and Telepathy

Themes may be used to represent Force Traditions such as Jedi, Sith, Knight of Ren, etc. with guidance/permission from the GM.

Shortcomings
The following Shortcomings may be selected: Enemy, Fame, Handicap, Inhuman, Notorious, Odd Appearance, Phobia, Poverty, Watched, and Unlucky

Victory Points
Acquired and used by the Victorious rules.

Equipment and Vehicles
The GM will design all specifications for unique equipment, like lightsabers and bounty hunter armor, on a case by case basis using the rules for Gadgets.
The same applies for vehicles such as Tie Fighters, X-Wings, etc.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

And as I was updating it, I thought, what if I blended StarSIEGE wit Victorious. Took the bundles of SS and made them Skills like V and use some defined FX from SS as SuperNatural Powers in V. Hm... Not enough time to work and play.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Truly, my statement at the end of the game Monday was about planning for a game with my daughters (in a few years) once they have finished Harvester's

However, since you are relooking at SW Victorious .... ;)

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Still rolling around my head. Especially with playing in Tree's Victorious game.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:Still rolling around my head. Especially with playing in Tree's Victorious game.

R-

Rgr that !

I was actually hoping my girls would want a SW game so I could do a little tinkering with Victorious to get some ideas to pass on to you.

Plus, I still want to play Star Victory myself !

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Don't know if it would help, but look at the Victorious blog site (victoriousrpg.com) for some classes and rules I came up with for running Blakes7 with Victorious. Might be of use, esp. for Lurker's modern game!

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

So, here's a question:

At the beginnning of A New Hope, what would you consider the power levels of the characters?

I'm assuming Luke is around 2nd level, Leia is around 3rd, Han is 4th or 5th, Chewbacca is 4th or 5th, and Obi-wan is 12th (maybe higher).

What is your assumption?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:Don't know if it would help, but look at the Victorious blog site (victoriousrpg.com) for some classes and rules I came up with for running Blakes7 with Victorious. Might be of use, esp. for Lurker's modern game!

Mike
I forgot about that ... I'll have to go there and do a bit of raiding & idea mining!
Rigon wrote:So, here's a question:

At the beginnning of A New Hope, what would you consider the power levels of the characters?

I'm assuming Luke is around 2nd level, Leia is around 3rd, Han is 4th or 5th, Chewbacca is 4th or 5th, and Obi-wan is 12th (maybe higher).

What is your assumption?

R-
Hmmmmm good question. By the way I hate the argument that they were 1st level made in other games.

Rgr on Luke being the lowest level of them . Considering he was experienced with survival desert, working on the farm, and reportedly a good pilot (shooting womp rats in beggar cannon), and 'good in a fight' ... level 2 or 3 seems right. As we know level 1 is all but worthless so he can't be 1st level

Leia, would be the same level (they are twins so are the same age) or at most a level better than Luke. so 3 or 4 .... I wouldn't go with more than 1 level higher than Luke and wouldn't go to level 5 for her.

Han & Chewie .... they are higher than Luke & Leia. By at least 3 to 5 levels , so 6 to 8. They are renowned smugglers with rogue skills pilot skills maintenance skills, and combat skills. They are used by the worst gangsters (Jaba) to smuggle extremely valuable cargo, so that sounds right.

I'd argue that the failure in the escape from the death star cell block was due to a failed roll and since he wasn't yet a good guy he didn't have a victory point to save his bacon with. So it doesn't reflect on lower level .

Obi .... What ever level he needs to be to be scary impressive except compared to Vader . So, 12 + fits.

C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hey all. Hope you don't mind if I chime in.

I've enjoyed this thread and I think there was another by Lurker . .

Anywho,

Having just watched Rogue One and then Star Wars ~ thinking about Luke.

Yes, he is a hayseed/rube/farmer - BUT I should think he has a higher power level (is that a Vic term?) or perhaps he doesn't yet realize his abilities as a PC (like in the movie, much is learned and mastered very quickly).

Mebbe, Vic has a way to disguise/temper higher abilities ~ but allow them at the appropriate times during game play.

Perhaps, he has a surface (viewed by others level) and within has a FORCE level that is way bigger. So I'm going with lvl 3 surface and lvl 10 hidden/not yet realized FORCE level.

Much food for thought in these posts from you guys.

I may have to use the force to see if I can play in this game if you ever get it going.

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Well, it's supposed to storm for most of the time I will be in the mountains this weekend. So, when I am not running 5e for my buddies, I may attempt to write up Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewbacca. Just to see if they can fit how I am thinking on running Star Wars with V.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

So, thinking about this today, based on how I would do it, here are some characters from the start of A New Hope. I'm still trying to figure out Obi-Wan and Vader. I have a good handle on how I will do it, just have to see if I can get it to jive in my head with the rules.

Sample Characters:
A New Hope
Luke Skywalker
2nd level
Attributes: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 15
HP: 40
Skills: Prime 3 (Dex, Con, Wis), Fire Arms 1, Melee 1, Profession (Pilot) 2, Profession (Farmer) 1, Survival (Desert) 1
Powers: Intuition 2, Knack (Piloting) 2, Robust 2
Shortcomings: Enemy 4

Leia Organa
3rd level
Attributes: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 15
HP: 31
Skills: Prime 3 (Int, Wis, Cha), Etiquette (Polite) 3, Fire Arms 1, Profession (Diplomat) 3, Wealthy 3
Powers: Intuition 1, Robust 1
Shortcomings: Enemy 4

Han Solo
6th level
Attributes: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14
HP: 61
Skills: Prime 3 (Str, Dex, Con), Etiquette (Criminal) 2, Fire Arms 2, Melee 1, Profession (Pilot) 3, Profession (Smuggler) 2, Profession (Mechanic) 1, Roguery 1
Powers: Attribute 1 (Str +2, Con +3), Knack (Piloting) 2, Knack (Pistol) 1, Robust 2
Shortcomings: Unlucky 1, Enemy 3

Chewbacca
4th level
Wookie: Attribute (Str +3, Con +2) 1, Robust 2, Super Movement (Climbing) 1; Inhuman 1, Notorious 1, Odd Appearance 2 (Racial Shortcomings can never be bought off)
Attributes: Str 17, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 10
HP: 79
Skills: Prime 2 (Con, Int), Etiquette (Criminal) 1, Fire Arm 2, Melee 2, Profession (Mechanic) 2, Profession (Pilot) 2, Profession (Smuggler) 1, Science (Droids) 1
Powers: Knack (Mechanical Repairs) 2, Knack (Pilot) 1, Robust 1 (stacks w/Wookie Qualities)
Shortcomings: Enemy 2
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

NICE thanks for sharing them!

Consider them youned to be used in my daughter's game!

I like how you made them different levels. That is one of my pet peeves with most games, They try and make them all the same level when there is no realistic way that a green horns back woods pilot wet behind the ears, a blue blooded girl with a silver spoon in her mouth, a walking roaring carpet that is an expert fighter and pilot, and a highly skilled smuggler with years of experience are all the same level at the start of the movie.

So, for profession pilot, you are saying it covers all skills - flying, sensors, shields, nave, weapons etc ...I can see the argument for it, but also I can see an argument for the skills to be broken out of the profession ... If only the writer of the game rules were around to give us guidance (that we would probably modify to our liking any way) ... I'll 'chew on it' as Mike said in the other thread.

Now, you answered one of my questions before I asked it ... Etiquette criminal ... I was going to ask if there is Etiquette - Polite for the upper crust, Crass, for the lower half of society, Military for well the military elements of society, shouldn't there be etiquette criminal for the organized (not basic low level street thugs and desperate criminals) criminal societies and organizations ? ... I take your answer as yes

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

When I first created Etiquette: Crass, I had in mind cockney slang and thus sort of a "Thieves Cant" that doubled as lower-class jargon. Still, you might consider a criminal etiquette only insofar as they have a unique set of rules and regulations like the military. Maybe a Yakuza-style criminality?

Instead of Piloting I would suggest "Starship" to cover basic operations and either additional ranks to reflect piloting or a Knack to cover speciality in piloting.

Just IMO,

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Mike, would you make it Profession (Starship) or just a Starship skill. I really like to stay inside the rules as much as possible. That was my thinking behind Profession (Pilot). Which I think can be applied across the board for piloting skills. Much like driving. If you can drive one type of car, you can drive most types of cars. Same thing with starships. The Knack power is what sets a really good pilot apart from an average one.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Rigon wrote:Mike, would you make it Profession (Starship) or just a Starship skill. I really like to stay inside the rules as much as possible. That was my thinking behind Profession (Pilot). Which I think can be applied across the board for piloting skills. Much like driving. If you can drive one type of car, you can drive most types of cars. Same thing with starships. The Knack power is what sets a really good pilot apart from an average one.

R-
I'd say Prof: Starship Operations. Following off your comments above, everyone knows how to fuel a car, read a speed gauge, etc. Now, repairing that car? Replacing that gague....that's a different kettle of fish.

I agree about the skill vs. Knack issue. Attributes play a factor as well of course, but the Knack is to provide a near-supernatural ability to do XY or Z.

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

DMMike wrote:
Rigon wrote:Mike, would you make it Profession (Starship) or just a Starship skill. I really like to stay inside the rules as much as possible. That was my thinking behind Profession (Pilot). Which I think can be applied across the board for piloting skills. Much like driving. If you can drive one type of car, you can drive most types of cars. Same thing with starships. The Knack power is what sets a really good pilot apart from an average one.

R-
I'd say Prof: Starship Operations. Following off your comments above, everyone knows how to fuel a car, read a speed gauge, etc. Now, repairing that car? Replacing that gague....that's a different kettle of fish.

I agree about the skill vs. Knack issue. Attributes play a factor as well of course, but the Knack is to provide a near-supernatural ability to do XY or Z.

Mike
Ok, I see where you're coming from now. I look at Piloting as the ability to "drive" the starship. I gave both Han and Chewy some ranks in Profession (Mechanic) also. That way they could do repairs themselves. Luke, however, doesn't have any Mechanic ranks. He can do "basic maintenance" but no real repairs.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Now, I have to be careful here. I know that I have the baggage of years of d6 Star Wars tainting my view, and no matter how hard I try that is still in the back of my mind when I think about this ...

Plus, my real life history bring in reality in a game that is not realistic (Star Wars is called Space Opera for a reason) so what is realistically true may not fit the game ...

All that said, I agree everyone knows how to fill the gas tank read the speedometer, watch for oil low warning lights, and keep the car herded down the road in a moderately safe manner. Or they should - well I wonder if they actually do on the drive to and from work some of those idgiots I'm not sure they even know the most basic of safe driving - and the same can be said for a pilot with his air craft. So, I agree a pilot (whether defined as skill or profession) knows all the basic systems involved in flying. Whether it is a snow speeder, a space shuttle, a fighter, or a freighter (maybe not a capital / star destroyer). So, I agree either flight skill or startship profession should cover all types of craft and a separate one for each (like d6) is excessive and not needful

However, there is more to it than that, Especially in space fighting ... shields to angle, communications to monitor, flight paths to plot, weapons to cycle (and keep from over heating). Or in SW there are also at the same time asteroids to skim, jaws of space slugs to dodge, and bounty hunters to avoid ... Again in normal circumstances, flying isn't that difficult. However, all of that added together and things get dicey.

So, should those be separate skills, or all part of a profession package ?

I don't know ... I can see an argument for either choice.

A profession and you get all those needed skills in one packet (and save those valuable points to buy other skills and powers). But you are as good a pilot as you are a com guy as you are a navigator.

A skill for each ... now you have to buy each separately - which is expensive - but you can be a great pilot and good nav at the cost of weaker on coms, and rely on the Wookie in the R seat to handle coms and sensors ... Much more realistic.

Regardless, I do agree that the power 'knack' is critical.

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Hey, you think its bad where you are...don't forget what I said about TX giving me my license back! LOL!

Naturally, you do your games however you want...and I might be biased coming off a Blakes7 game of Victorious as well. A compromise might be having Prof: Starship Operation (which at rank 1 allows level ads) and any subsequent ranks in it must be in a speciality like Astrogation, Piloting, Repair, or Engineering. A rank or another Prof: Might be given over to Starship Combat...which as anyone who has played Car Wars (or played the LARP they play every morning and afternoon in Dallas!) knows is much different than simple operation.

Just thinking,

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here's a question related to V in general. How do Themes work? I think I understand how it's written, but want to make sure I have it right before I try t do a Jedi/Sith write up.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:Hey, you think its bad where you are...don't forget what I said about TX giving me my license back! LOL!

Naturally, you do your games however you want...and I might be biased coming off a Blakes7 game of Victorious as well. A compromise might be having Prof: Starship Operation (which at rank 1 allows level ads) and any subsequent ranks in it must be in a speciality like Astrogation, Piloting, Repair, or Engineering. A rank or another Prof: Might be given over to Starship Combat...which as anyone who has played Car Wars (or played the LARP they play every morning and afternoon in Dallas!) knows is much different than simple operation.

Just thinking,

Mike

That is of course the default rule ... but one day I hope to be playing in a Star Wars Victorious game, so I want to debate now and influence R as much as I am able to before he realizes that is my goal ;)

Honestly, I want to understand the rules as much as I can and the way to do that is do this debate and hash the though process out behind the rules typed on paper.

Speaking of that
Rigon wrote:Here's a question related to V in general. How do Themes work? I think I understand how it's written, but want to make sure I have it right before I try t do a Jedi/Sith write up.

R-

With that, I pass the mike over to Mike

Ha, I made a funny ! (picture my girls in the background groaning and complain about 'daddy jokes') ... I crack myself up!

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Ok... Her'es the writeup from the book:

"THEME: A 'Theme' is a group of powers collected in a package that are connected to each other through a single concept for the character. A Theme package allows 3 powers in the Theme each with a rank equivalent to one half of the power ranks placed into the Theme proper. So, a Theme with 4 power ranks would have 3 powers with ranks 2 each. Subsequent powers in the Theme costs additional ranks, but gain 2X the power ranks put into the specific rank. Each additional power must be purchased in this manner."

Put simply, you have a Theme pool of let's say 4 Superhnatural power ranks. That gives you 3 powers in the theme, each with 2 ranks worth of power in them. Additional powers can be added at 1/2 the cost. So, with the above theme you want to add a fourth power you can spend 1 rank and get a rank 2 slot in the Theme.

Sounds great, right?

There's a catch though. If you have say a 4 rank Theme with Blast, Invulnerability, and Lightning Speed and someone hits you with a Suppress power of Lightning Speed; then the effect impacts the entire theme equally and not just that one power.

Why? Because...ain't no such thing as a free lunch! Besides, if someone suppresses fire and the victim has a Theme of fire powers...it only makes sense that all his fire powers would be in trouble, right?

HTH,

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

That's how I thought it worked. Another question: once you have a Theme, can you increase the Theme rank as a whole or do you increase the Powers individually?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

As ever, GM fiat but I don't allow the entire theme to be upgraded. That would be waaay too powerful. A Grand setting might work though for such power levels.

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

DMMike wrote:As ever, GM fiat but I don't allow the entire theme to be upgraded. That would be waaay too powerful. A Grand setting might work though for such power levels.

Mike
I kind of agree with you.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads