Best First Adventure

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
pineappleleader

Best First Adventure

Post by pineappleleader »

Which C & C Adventure would you recommend, as a first adventure, for 1 - 4, 1st level characters?

If less than 4 characters are run they will be 1st level Gestalts. A Rogue/Mage and a Fighter/Cleric.

I want to order the adventure as a book (not a pdf) from my FLAGS. They do not carry C & C, but might, if the owner is impressed with the products. He did like the PHB (2nd printing), and ordered a second one for the store shelves.

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

Best? Gosh! Um, I'd say that either Assault on Blacktooth Ridge or Shadows of the Halfling Hall can do the trick.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Shadows of Halfling Hall is quite fantastic! It would be one of my top picks... I also like the Beacon of Enon Tor (which is a free one). The Beacon one is considerably shorter and good for a one-session shot. You'd be able to complete it in the same session too.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

irda ranger

Post by irda ranger »

Keep on the Borderlands!!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If only going with "C&C" modules, I'd say Beacon at Enon Tor is the best one-shot adventure (this is a very basic, intro mod). If you would go outside of the C&C brand, there is always the perfect into/beginner mod, The Keep on the Borderlands.

................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Dark Chateu is good also. And Keep on the Borderlands is easily combined with Assault on Blackttoth ridge.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

pineappleleader

My Thanks to everyone who replied.

I want to stay With C&C, or I would use Keep on the Boarderlands.

Shadows of Halfling Hall sounds good.

But shorter would be better...so...

Where can I find Beacon at Enon Tor? I have never heard of it and it is not listed on the TLG website.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

The Beacon adventure isn't actually produced by TLG... it's a C&C conversion of an old adventure that originally appeared in White Dwarf.

Here's the link to the PDF:
http://tower.newcenturycomputers.net/temp/beacon.pdf

Enjoy!

Moriarty the Red

Metathiax

Post by Metathiax »

Quote:
Where can I find Beacon at Enon Tor? I have never heard of it and it is not listed on the TLG website.

There you go : The Beacon at Enon Tor module.

I suggest you consult this thread for a pretty thorough compilation of C&C-related links. It's very useful.
Happy gaming!
*EDIT* Simultaneous posts!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

LOL... it appears we both responded at the same time Metathiax!

M

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Rising Knight is great but a bit long, but great intro module. If your players like C&C it can take up several sessions. I think I was able to get 10-12 8 hours sessions out of Rising Knight.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

And don't forget "A Lion In The Ropes" for an intro module.

pineappleleader

Metathiax wrote:
There you go : The Beacon at Enon Tor module.

I suggest you consult this thread for a pretty thorough compilation of C&C-related links. It's very useful.
Happy gaming!
*EDIT* Simultaneous posts!

Thanks to both of you (simultaneously).
Beacon looks good to run for my players.

I am still going to order an adventure (probably Halfling Hall) thru my FLAGS.

One of the owners is a friend of mine and I want him to see that C&C is a nicely done quality product and worth stocking on the shelf on a regular basis. Right now all C&C items are special order only, and take 1 to 2 weeks to arrive. (Supplier's warehouses never seem to keep any in stock west of the Mississippi River).

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

To kick off a campaign I would go with Rising Knight (free from TLG), which is a good lead into the whole "A" series.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Have to put in my recommendation for Keep on the Borderlands

-George Washington

Philotomy Jurament

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

I'll add my vote to "Beacon." If they rescue whatzisname-the-wizard, he can become a mentor, of sorts, or just a contact that can send them on missions. I started a game with Beacon and have now sent the PCs north to the borderlands, where they're looking for some place called Quasqueton, trying to retrieve something from Zelligar's quarters/lab/treasure-room. They're basing out of a local keep, where they've also heard rumors about the so-called Caves of Chaos...

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Philotomy Jurament wrote:
I'll add my vote to "Beacon." If they rescue whatzisname-the-wizard, he can become a mentor, of sorts, or just a contact that can send them on missions. I started a game with Beacon and have now sent the PCs north to the borderlands, where they're looking for some place called Quasqueton, trying to retrieve something from Zelligar's quarters/lab/treasure-room. They're basing out of a local keep, where they've also heard rumors about the so-called Caves of Chaos...

I did Beacon as the first adventure to a Yggsburgh campaign. In short the party had a random encounter on the way with a ghoul that was really lucky. They headed back to heal and hung out for a day or two. By the time they came back to the beacon whassisname was worm food. Just thought I'd randomely share.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Maliki wrote:
To kick off a campaign I would go with Rising Knight (free from TLG), which is a good lead into the whole "A" series.

I second this, but do agree with all the other suggestions. They all are great modules to start a C&C game.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Decided to start off from the beginning when working with Jungger (me bro ). After doing some judicious thinking, I picked "Assault on Blacktooth Ridge" and couldn't have been happier with the result. The module - which is really more a collection of excellent geographically-based adventure hooks rather than an "Open the door and fight the monster here. Then proceed on to area B" sort of thing - provided some great initial encounters and the basis for a dungeon crawl, which will climax (maybe) in the next session we manage to schedule.

Can't say yea or nay with regard to the rest of the modules, but if "AoBTR" is any indication, Troll Lords is on a pretty solid run.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Keep on the Borderlands and meld teh two together for some real fun with it. You'll be glad you did.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

JG is right, the wilderness stuff in AoBTR will mesh very well with the themes in Keep on the Borderlands. With a little (and I mean very little) work, it will seem like the two mods were totally deisgned to work together.

...................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

The caves of chaos become Blacktooth ridge. This allows for the part about the ridge having multiple caverns without the CK having to develop them.

Yes is does seem that they were made to work together.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

Beacon worked well for me, I just have no idea were to go from there...
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

If you have Dark Chateu I have an idea. It was something I did and worked well.

I ran Beacon near Yggsburgh and put the beacon on Bigfish Lake. They got there too late to rescue the wizard but found a book that tied him to Zagyg. The mage guild of Yggsburgh wanted to know more and hired the party to investigate Zagyg's chateau. It worked until the party got a rather nasty TPK but it was a nice springboard.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Telhawk wrote:
Decided to start off from the beginning when working with Jungger (me bro ). After doing some judicious thinking, I picked "Assault on Blacktooth Ridge" and couldn't have been happier with the result. The module - which is really more a collection of excellent geographically-based adventure hooks rather than an "Open the door and fight the monster here. Then proceed on to area B" sort of thing - provided some great initial encounters and the basis for a dungeon crawl, which will climax (maybe) in the next session we manage to schedule.

Can't say yea or nay with regard to the rest of the modules, but if "AoBTR" is any indication, Troll Lords is on a pretty solid run.

Great choice.

And yeah, Slag Heap is very much in the same vein as AoBtR. Loads of open ended adventure ideas. You can choose or ignore the political/court intrigue to compliment Assault. I like Slag Heap a lot for the pick and choose approach. I plan to utilize parts of it now and then use other parts later.

Enjoy!

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Just a quick addendum to the previous post: I took the plunge and bought/downloaded all the material on RPGnow.com - I'm really looking forward to being able to put parts two and three of the Blacktooth Ridge series into use when the time is appropriate.

Another big plus: the material ordered from Little Rock finally (finally!) arrived today and I can pass Jungger off all those books that he's been waiting for. A glorious day for all.

WotC - resources up the whazoo, but there ain't nothin' there I want part of. Troll Lords is the company with heart. Thanks, guys.