Gary Con XI

Forums for Troll Con & Other Convention Discussions
User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Badges went on sale today, Crusaders! Gary Con is my favorite convention so I snagged mine as soon as registration opened. :)

Will you be attending? There are several folks here on the board I gamed with, ran into, said hello to, etc. at GCX and it would be most agreeable to see each of you again.

Will you be running any games? If so, please tell a little about what you'll be running without giving away too much info. ;)

I ran C&C at GCX and, since I had so much fun with the game, will do so at GCXI. For GCXI the adventure will be set in the Kingdom of Orbaal, located on HârnWorld. Pregens of levels 4-5 will be provided. When the event is approved by the GC folks, I'll post a blurb about it in this thread.

DMing/CKing two sessions feels right so I can have plenty of time to indulge my player side. There are a few DMs/GMs in whose games I'd very much like to play if I could be so fortunate.

See you in March 2019! 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

I remembered this post from Treebore after GCX and thought it worth posting here for consideration.
Treebore wrote:[...] Well, if this year doesn't work out for everyone, I am suggesting we, in future years, reserve, say, Saturday morning for a board member game. <snip>
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
T1Hound
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 am
Location: Allentown, PA

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by T1Hound »

I will be attending. When do you plan on running events? I will try to run at a different time.

User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Buttmonkey »

I booked my room months ago. Not sure if I'll be running anything this year. Work has been intense this year. I don't think I've gamed live since Gary Con in March, actually. My gaming is pretty much limited to a C&C PBP I run.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Omote »

Snagged my reg for GCXI so I plan on attending.
Not sure if I am going to run anything or not. I tend to go and play as much as I can. But maybe, just maybe.

I played in Anc's game last year and had a great time. Probably the best 4-hour game I played in the entire weekend.

I very much look forward to GaryCon every year.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

T1Hound wrote:I will be attending. When do you plan on running events? I will try to run at a different time.
That's definitely still up in the air at this point but I'm looking at Thursday and/or Friday so as to leave open all of Saturday for me on the player side of the screen. I'll post something in this thread when I'm closer to a decision.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Buttmonkey wrote:I booked my room months ago. Not sure if I'll be running anything this year. Work has been intense this year. I don't think I've gamed live since Gary Con in March, actually. My gaming is pretty much limited to a C&C PBP I run.
Sounds like you'll be long overdue for some face-to-face gaming goodness! ;)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Omote wrote:Snagged my reg for GCXI so I plan on attending.
Not sure if I am going to run anything or not. I tend to go and play as much as I can. But maybe, just maybe.

I played in Anc's game last year and had a great time. Probably the best 4-hour game I played in the entire weekend.

I very much look forward to GaryCon every year.

~O
Emphasis mine.
Very kind of you, sir. Thank you!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
rmckee78
Skobbit
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by rmckee78 »

I am going. I will probably add more games, but so far my schedule is:

Thursday:

2:00 B/X Stonehell Dungeon
7:00 Castles and Crusades: Hall of the Predators

Friday:

2:00 B/X Stonehell Dungeon
7:00 Castles and Crusades: The Conquistador's Tomb

Saturday:

2:00 Empire of the Petal Throne: Fresh off the Boat
7:00 Numenera: Ashes of the Sea

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Is The Conquistador's Tomb a history themed / based adventure set on Earth?
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
rmckee78
Skobbit
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by rmckee78 »

No, although it is inspired by historical conquistadors. It originally was a sub-level I designed for use in Stonehell.

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:I remembered this post from Treebore after GCX and thought it worth posting here for consideration.
Treebore wrote:[...] Well, if this year doesn't work out for everyone, I am suggesting we, in future years, reserve, say, Saturday morning for a board member game. <snip>
BUMP
I know GCXI is still 5 months away but just a friendly reminder about Treebore's Saturday morning board member game idea. Anyone interested or want to discuss?
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Buttmonkey »

It looked like I might not be able to make Gary Con this year, but the seas have parted and I will be there once again. I'm up for playing or even running an event for forum members on Saturday morning.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

User avatar
T1Hound
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 am
Location: Allentown, PA

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by T1Hound »

I am considering running G2 - The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl as 2-3 slots.

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Buttmonkey wrote:It looked like I might not be able to make Gary Con this year, but the seas have parted and I will be there once again. I'm up for playing or even running an event for forum members on Saturday morning.
Glad to read you'll be at GCXI!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Omote »

I'm definitely still interested in Saturday Morning C&C Board Member shenanigans. But, 'tis a bit far away yet.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

captain_blood
Skobbit
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:53 am

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by captain_blood »

Snagged a badge, but still sorting the lodging. Regardless I'm returning to Geneva for some gaming goodness. I look forward to seeing many of you again.

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

captain_blood wrote:Snagged a badge, but still sorting the lodging. Regardless I'm returning to Geneva for some gaming goodness. I look forward to seeing many of you again.
Will be great to see you again, Cap'n Blood!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

My event submissions for GCXI have been approved.

This time I'm running Castles & Crusades in HârnWorld: Zoanthropic Benediction.

Session 1 is Thursday from 10 AM to 3 PM (that's right, five hours!)
Session 2 is Friday from 7 PM to midnight (or later depending on how things go and if no one else has the table scheduled)

The adventure will accommodate five players. I requested age range of players is 18+ (adult) and that they possess some experience in the specific rules of the game.

My event description is as follows: Winter has come to Hârn. Snow blankets the land as ice forms along the banks of the river Anoth which separates the southern reaches of the fractious kingdom of Orbaal and the tribal lands of Nuthela. The once plentiful game has grown scarce, fish avoid hooks and nets, and the people of your village go hungry. A fortnight ago, at the behest of the Tuathaich, the venerable priestess of your village, your hunting party set out to find food sufficient to hold at bay the threat of starvation for kith and kin. However, as you return to your village, you can see things are not as they were when you departed….

The published event description will be shorter as I was limited to 400 characters including punctuation and spaces.

Anyone not familiar with the HârnWorld setting can find info about it at the Columbia Games website or contact me and I can direct you to some cool videos to watch.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Omote »

Good news! Thanks for the heads up. Planning for games will be commencing soon.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm planning to run White Plume Mountain using Dungeon World this year. Would there be interest in me running it with Castles & Crusades on Saturday morning? The adventure is a classic, so I suspect most people have read or played it by now, but maybe folks would be interested.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Buttmonkey wrote:I'm planning to run White Plume Mountain using Dungeon World this year. Would there be interest in me running it with Castles & Crusades on Saturday morning? The adventure is a classic, so I suspect most people have read or played it by now, but maybe folks would be interested.
C&C with White Plume Mountain sounds like a good time waiting to happen.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:My event submissions for GCXI have been approved.

This time I'm running Castles & Crusades in HârnWorld: Zoanthropic Benediction.

Session 1 is Thursday from 10 AM to 3 PM (that's right, five hours!)
Session 2 is Friday from 7 PM to midnight (or later depending on how things go and if no one else has the table scheduled)

The adventure will accommodate five players. I requested age range of players is 18+ (adult) and that they possess some experience in the specific rules of the game.

My event description is as follows: Winter has come to Hârn. Snow blankets the land as ice forms along the banks of the river Anoth which separates the southern reaches of the fractious kingdom of Orbaal and the tribal lands of Nuthela. The once plentiful game has grown scarce, fish avoid hooks and nets, and the people of your village go hungry. A fortnight ago, at the behest of the Tuathaich, the venerable priestess of your village, your hunting party set out to find food sufficient to hold at bay the threat of starvation for kith and kin. However, as you return to your village, you can see things are not as they were when you departed….

The published event description will be shorter as I was limited to 400 characters including punctuation and spaces.

Anyone not familiar with the HârnWorld setting can find info about it at the Columbia Games website or contact me and I can direct you to some cool videos to watch.
My games are now listed in the Events Schedule.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Buttmonkey »

Ancalagon wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:I'm planning to run White Plume Mountain using Dungeon World this year. Would there be interest in me running it with Castles & Crusades on Saturday morning? The adventure is a classic, so I suspect most people have read or played it by now, but maybe folks would be interested.
C&C with White Plume Mountain sounds like a good time waiting to happen.
I might still be able to run an off-grid C&C adventure, but Saturday morning is now out for me. The organizers scheduled one of my Dungeon World sessions for 9 am on Saturday.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Were all gold badge members here able to register for the events they wanted?

I had a few hiccups (communication errors) with the interface but after 3 attempts it worked and I snagged my event tickets.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm just a wee silver badge holder, but I saw a Facebook post from someone affiliated with the registration system who said he screwed up the start time and failed to have enough servers ready for the gold badge registration. He's got it straightened out for next week's silver rush.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:My event submissions for GCXI have been approved.

This time I'm running Castles & Crusades in HârnWorld: Zoanthropic Benediction.

Session 1 is Thursday from 10 AM to 3 PM (that's right, five hours!)
Session 2 is Friday from 7 PM to midnight (or later depending on how things go and if no one else has the table scheduled)

The adventure will accommodate five players. I requested age range of players is 18+ (adult) and that they possess some experience in the specific rules of the game.

My event description is as follows: Winter has come to Hârn. Snow blankets the land as ice forms along the banks of the river Anoth which separates the southern reaches of the fractious kingdom of Orbaal and the tribal lands of Nuthela. The once plentiful game has grown scarce, fish avoid hooks and nets, and the people of your village go hungry. A fortnight ago, at the behest of the Tuathaich, the venerable priestess of your village, your hunting party set out to find food sufficient to hold at bay the threat of starvation for kith and kin. However, as you return to your village, you can see things are not as they were when you departed….

The published event description will be shorter as I was limited to 400 characters including punctuation and spaces.

Anyone not familiar with the HârnWorld setting can find info about it at the Columbia Games website or contact me and I can direct you to some cool videos to watch.
My games are now listed in the Events Schedule.
My Friday game is full up but 3 seats remain for the Thursday 10AM session if anyone is interested in some C&C action.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Omote »

Damn Anc! I can't make any of those games. I'll be there in spirit though.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
weare138
Henchman
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by weare138 »

Hey Ancalagon! I'm locked in on your Thursday session really looking forward to that one.

User avatar
Ancalagon
Ulthal
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Bellevue, NE

Re: Gary Con XI

Post by Ancalagon »

weare138 wrote:Hey Ancalagon! I'm locked in on your Thursday session really looking forward to that one.
Excellent! Please introduce yourself when you reach the table. I enjoy putting faces with names of forum members. 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Post Reply