Playing at the Table

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Playing at the Table

Post by T1Hound »

How do you play Castles and Crusades at the table?
1 - Complete theater of the mind.
2 - Theater of the mind and occasionally putting some dice down to show where you're at.
3 - Using the best method as it makes warranted. A fair combination of both.
4 - Vast majority of encounters take place on the battle mat, markers, miniatures, etc.
5 - The level of "All Out". There's miniatures, terrain, trees, DwarvenForge, a flat screen monitor, a projector, etc.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Re: Playing at the Table

Post by anvil242 »

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Whoah! Very nice!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

My face to face gaming is a solid 3. I never veer all the way to a 5. I try to push to go with a 1 (theater of the mind) as much as possible for expediency's sake. My GM style is largely improvisational, so "all out" normally isn't an option.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Wouldn't "All Out" be more like renting a large warehouse, setting up the dungeon, and then LARPing the whole thing? ROFL

I'm a #4 myself. Never had the storage or gaming space for 5.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Somewhere between 3 and 4.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

4 to 5, depending on what resources I am wanting to use for that sessions encounters. I haven't ran a face to face game, aside from Cons, for a couple of years now. So my youngest son makes more use of my projector than I do.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

#3 I suppose as it is both all of them and the most accurate. I prefer #1 but there are times #2 makes sense. I would go #5 if anyone ever came to my house, but they don't, so they don't get that treatment. I actually dislike #4; for some reason, it takes me completely out of the game and turns into a "skirmish."

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

#1: Paper, dice, pencils, and the core book.

#4 makes it a board game.

#5 makes it a video game.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, Siege of Dragonspear

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Interesting. I was expecting a lot more 1-3 responses.
At one point, the group I played with did 2nd Ed Combat & Tactics.
It raised me up to a 4. Slowly I'm moving towards a 4-5 range. 5 for bigger battles, etc.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Peter wrote:#1: Paper, dice, pencils, and the core book.

#4 makes it a board game.

#5 makes it a video game.
I've seen a lot of board game movements where players are counting and calculating the best approach, etc. If they do it more than twice, I'm typically giving the "you're wasting time" look. Very close to metagaming.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Started out gaming in 1981 and we played 1 for several years, gradually adding minis. When we played a lot of MERP in the 1990s we went more towards minis because several of the players were new and most ran multiple PCs. So we eventually got to the 3-4 level where I stayed for many years. Later, one of our gamers was a professional artist and he could bust out the battle mat and sketch encounters really well. Then I moved away and bequeathed my large mini collection to the group. So now I'm back to 1-2 , where I'll most likely stay unless we start playing more to justify buying minis again.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Started with just imagination in very late '76 during lunch hour in the school library and the three little white books. :) Have done chits or mini's since '79 and later. Found it was easier to keep people 'honest' in where their PCs were at in the room and what they could do when. I disagree about their use turning it into a bored..sorry...board...game when only used for combat encounters. Simply due to the prevalence of miniatures and such in tabletop wargames such as full thrust, starmada, micro armor, and napoleonics which are more modeled simulations. #5 is more of a board game simulation in by presenting a fixed field (the dungeon model) you automatically have a limited field like a game board...and no real mystery on the size of where you are exploring. But that's how I see it.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I just use electronics to portray the battle field and the mini's, because that is far easier than actually setting up all the physical components, and then putting them away. Plus I don't need to worry about someone breaking any of my painted mini's. Plus digital assets are far cheaper and easier to come by than the physical assets. Storage is on the microscopic level, instead of the boxes and shelves level as well.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I guess #3 .. Once we had miniatures (sometime in the early 80's) we used it for marching order. Combat was verbal. Eventually there would be a rough layout of Monster figures (or dice or whatever). Very rare their would be a "battle mat", if fact I think 2 or 3 times, the temple of the Dragon where the party threw down vs Timat is one, it's hand drawn on a huge piece of graph paper - because, you know, breath weapons are AOE :)

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Mostly 3, but sometimes 4 when there is a lot going on.

-Fizz

Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Post by Spade Marlowe »

Somewhere between 3 & 4. I find mapping the area helps me better describe what's going on (plus I just really get into maps). I use the battle map that came with the Pathfinder beginner's box and some dry erase markers (the really day glow ones). We really don't have a bunch of mini's, and definitely not for all the monsters, so I usually resort to "Theater of the Mind" for that that part, using dice if the players want to get a little tactical. Besides, I'm trying to describe the monsters by their physical appearance, instead of just saying 'Inside the room are 3 orcs.'

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

4 with a chalk board, but my new crew ALL have 3D printers.... the end is near old men... 5 is going to need a 6 soon!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Captain_K wrote:4 with a chalk board, but my new crew ALL have 3D printers.... the end is near old men... 5 is going to need a 6 soon!
Yeah, I've had one for close to 2 years. Haven't even set it up and made anything.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

for me, back in the day, it was solid 3.

Now today, DMing for my girls it slides between 2 & 3.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

From 3 to 4 for me most of the time.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

SooperGenius
Skobbit

Post by SooperGenius »

I'm at a 3.

For quite a lot of the combats I go completely Theatre of the Mind. If I want to make the battle seem more significant or there's some cool tactical stuff I'd like to throw in for fun, then I tend to pull or maps or terrain. There is a fairly high correlation between the battle's significance / thematic coolness and whether I use props. A skirmish with goblins? No need for props. The final boss battle between the Death Knight and a horde of undead minions on a series of islands floating in the Astral Plane? Get me some props! It'll be fun!

I'm a big believer in the right tool for the job.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in a large group.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm still at level 3, with leanings toward 2.

I just ran a game this past weekend at a convention, and I had the battle mat out and dice, markers, etc. None of the players seemed interested in using those devices and wanted theater of the mind. I personally don't see that all that much any more, but it was sort of refreshing, especially for a convention game.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Omote wrote:I'm still at level 3, with leanings toward 2.

I just ran a game this past weekend at a convention, and I had the battle mat out and dice, markers, etc. None of the players seemed interested in using those devices and wanted theater of the mind. I personally don't see that all that much any more, but it was sort of refreshing, especially for a convention game.

~O
I was surprised at the lack of miniatures and the use of miniatures at GaryCon. Even GenCon, most organized play rarely are miniatures used, IMO.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

So much time and money into buying and painting... listening to a radio show is great fun and a great story teller lets you paint in your mind's eye a great show.. but there's still nothing wrong with a movie with great special effects!

So I like the mini use.. it adds something plus with 6 PC and 12 little monsters its hard to recall where everything is....
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.