Donald Saxman

Threads honoring gaming pioneers that have molded our hobby, and have started their own games in a better place.
Gringnr
Ulthal

Donald Saxman

Post by Gringnr »

I'm going to quote Simon Burley's (author of Golden Heroes) Facebook post about this, because he has eulogized Saxman quite nicely.
I've just heard of the death of Donald Saxman - creator of the world's first Superhero RPG - Superhero 2044.

We owe him a debt that can never be repaid.

The game rules were incomplete. The application of RPG assumptions to the Superhero game world skewed it. Eg. The "Superhero shop" where you bought equipment. "Heroes" ended up dripping with SMGs and the other sort of RPG. Everybody became The Comedian, half a decade before Watchmen.

Yes the game was unplayable as written and got a bad press.

But Donald Saxman DID it. He wrote the world's first SHRPG. He clearly self published. My first copy was a Xeroxed spiral bound thing that could have been produced in his garage but it somehow found its way to me in the UK. And this game gave so many of us a start. We bought it, we played it, we fixed it, we published my our own. If he could do it, so could we.

S'44 was directly responsible for Golden Heroes - and don't tell it me wasn't the inspiration for Champions. Champions is SOOOO S'44 done right. I bet loads of other older SHRPG designers will quote S'44 as in inspiration, even if only as an example of what NOT to do.

But it did so many things RIGHT that people forget. Great artwork. A fully detailed and playable game world with dozens of plot hooks in the space of - what - 32 pages. Everyone should get a copy of S'44 - first edition by preference - if only for the game world of Inguria. It's inspiring. And some of the rules are good. The ratings system is unique and makes a great basis for a postal game.

S'44 was a work of flawed genius which through its inspiration and failings turned a whole generation of us into SHRPG authors.

I owe Donald Saxman a great personal debt. Rest in Peace.
I have read before in more than one place that Champions started as a set of variant rules for SH2044. I can't say for certain whether this is anecdote or actual history. If true, it wouldn't be the only game to be inspired by another. Tunnels & Trolls was written as a reaction to D&D, and Burley's own Golden Heroes was initially born of 1st Edition Gamma World adapted for supers.

It's interesting that today, superhero RPGs are as prevalent as any other gaming genre. Saxman seems to have been the spark that ignited a massive fire.

Rest In Peace, my good man.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Donald Saxman

Post by DMMike »

We were just talking about reviewing Superhero 2044 on the Save for Half podcast. :(

I never played it as a kid, but I remember seeing a copy of it at my local (Gville MS) bookstore downtown. It inspired me to try and turn Gamma World into a supers game. It failed, and I eventually got Champions 1e, but that cover really inspired me. I hadn't even thought of SH in RPGs until that day.

A loss to the hobby, regardless of how you felt about S44,

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Re: Donald Saxman

Post by Gringnr »

Gringnr wrote: Golden Heroes was initially born of 1st Edition Gamma World adapted for supers.
DMMike wrote:I never played it as a kid, but I remember seeing a copy of it at my local (Gville MS) bookstore downtown. It inspired me to try and turn Gamma World into a supers game.
I wonder how many others had the same idea...
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.