Town of Kalas - mini adventures?

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Varsuuk
Henchman

Town of Kalas - mini adventures?

Post by Varsuuk »

Hey all - for the mini adventures included in the book - what are we talking levels-wise. I am not yet good at estimating by looking at it (especially without many stat blocks at times.)

Tips on levels for groups of 4 or 5?

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Re: Town of Kalas - mini adventures?

Post by T1Hound »

I would simply adjust the number of monsters, hit points, etc as the battle continues.
If you're hitting too hard in one encounter, maybe lay off the damage, etc.
Continue to adjust until you find what's working.

Going in too easy - generally lets the players feeling good.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

T1Hound wrote:I would simply adjust the number of monsters, hit points, etc as the battle continues.
If you're hitting too hard in one encounter, maybe lay off the damage, etc.
Continue to adjust until you find what's working.

Going in too easy - generally lets the players feeling good.
On the other hand, it gives them a false idea of their strength relative to upcoming challenges. But that's classic, building up their hubris and dashing their hopes.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Varsuuk
Henchman

Post by Varsuuk »

Appreciate the tips on adjusting on fly (both viewpoints hehe) but what I meant is what level do you think each of these were aimed at in general?

Like I said, bad judge of determining estimates. Been too many years since played AD&D.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Varsuuk wrote:Appreciate the tips on adjusting on fly (both viewpoints hehe) but what I meant is what level do you think each of these were aimed at in general?

Like I said, bad judge of determining estimates. Been too many years since played AD&D.
I'm not familiar with the adventures you are asking about, but for a starting point here's a rule of thumb: compare the total levels of the party to the total HD of the opponents. If the PCs outweigh the monsters, it is a relatively easy encounter. Levels equal to hit dice means a challenging encounter. Hit dice exceed levels means a tough encounter. That's just a starting point. There may be reasons to look at the balance of a particular encounter differently based on special circumstances (e.g., a monster with lots of special abilities, particularly spell casting). To gauge an overall adventure, take a look at the trend of the individual encounters. If Levels >> hit dice in most encounters, it's probably going to be an easy session. If Hit dice >> levels, the PCs are in a lot of trouble. If the level and hit dice are fairly comparable across the board, it's going to be challenging.

Hope this helps!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.