What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lord Dynel
Maukling

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by Lord Dynel »

Gringnr wrote:Started playing Labyrinth Lord ...
Yeah man! My current OSR love (not counting C&C) is Labyrinth Lord. Been digging on it a lot recently. This was what I was reading, along with my issues of Wormskin. They've gone back to the shelf, for a while, though.

I've been going over my C&C PHB most recently; it's been a while since I've delved into its depths. It's like visiting an old friend. I've also got a book called Orbital 2100 at my bedside. It's for older Traveller, published under the Cepheus Engine, that I hope to get to the table someday using the new Traveller (2e) rpg. It's a near-future (2100/TL9) setting where Earth and the Moon are engaged in a Cold War trying to colonize the outer reaches of the solar system, with independent colonies (Mars and Mercury, for example) thrown into the fray. It's got a very Expanse TV show feel.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My copy of the new AS&SH book arrived, so I need to be delving into it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Yeah man! My current OSR love (not counting C&C) is Labyrinth Lord. Been digging on it a lot recently. This was what I was reading, along with my issues of Wormskin. They've gone back to the shelf, for a while, though.

I've been going over my C&C PHB most recently; it's been a while since I've delved into its depths. It's like visiting an old friend. I've also got a book called Orbital 2100 at my bedside. It's for older Traveller, published under the Cepheus Engine, that I hope to get to the table someday using the new Traveller (2e) rpg. It's a near-future (2100/TL9) setting where Earth and the Moon are engaged in a Cold War trying to colonize the outer reaches of the solar system, with independent colonies (Mars and Mercury, for example) thrown into the fray. It's got a very Expanse TV show feel.

Yeah, I like LL too, especially with the Companion material. A very nicely done alternative vision of D&D.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:

Yeah, I like LL too, especially with the Companion material. A very nicely done alternative vision of D&D.
Absolutely. The AEC is spectacular. I really hope Dan gets a combined LL+AEC cooking sometime in the near future.

But it's really my go-to version of 1e these days. I'll always love my 1e AD&D books, and I pull them off the shelf quite often, but LL+AEC is much cleaner and concise. And some of the rule changes are pretty neat. Best of all, those two books are really all you need for some AD&D goodness.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lord Dynel wrote: Absolutely. The AEC is spectacular. I really hope Dan gets a combined LL+AEC cooking sometime in the near future.
He's already confirmed this is the book he is working on right now. I think Dan Proctor also mentioned a Kickstarter in October 2017, though it looks like he might miss that target date. This was talked about on his Labyrinth Lord Facebook page in September.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote: Absolutely. The AEC is spectacular. I really hope Dan gets a combined LL+AEC cooking sometime in the near future.
He's already confirmed this is the book he is working on right now. I think Dan Proctor also mentioned a Kickstarter in October 2017, though it looks like he might miss that target date. This was talked about on his Labyrinth Lord Facebook page in September.

~O
Cool. I'm not on Facebook anymore, but I think I saw the thread in question (where he asked if anyone would prefer a LL+AEC combined...uh, yes please!). I hadn't heard about the KS supposed to be starting in October. Nice! But yeah, looks like it might not happen until November.

I hope it's as cool as the Spanish LL!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Awesome!!

I've got to catch up on LL stuff and Dan!

He and I played in Gary's OD&D game some years ago at the TLG Winter Dark II CON.

Great guy and his wife is a gamer!!!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:
But it's really my go-to version of 1e these days. I'll always love my 1e AD&D books, and I pull them off the shelf quite often, but LL+AEC is much cleaner and concise. And some of the rule changes are pretty neat. Best of all, those two books are really all you need for some AD&D goodness.
It will come down to whatever my group wants to do if I ever want to run something aside from C&C for my D&D flavored gaming. Or, since its the only time I ever played LL, when someone else runs a game I get into.

In my Monday group, which is the only group that really focus' on playing C&C, one of us is supposed to run a 5E game so everyone can experience it aside from the few of us who already have, such as I played it for 5 months. Under a rather lousy GM. So I would like another opportunity to either run it, or play it under a good GM.

So its likely to be a year or more before we will give anything else a try.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:
It will come down to whatever my group wants to do if I ever want to run something aside from C&C for my D&D flavored gaming. Or, since its the only time I ever played LL, when someone else runs a game I get into.

In my Monday group, which is the only group that really focus' on playing C&C, one of us is supposed to run a 5E game so everyone can experience it aside from the few of us who already have, such as I played it for 5 months. Under a rather lousy GM. So I would like another opportunity to either run it, or play it under a good GM.

So its likely to be a year or more before we will give anything else a try.
I have yet to play 5e for any substantial length of time. Other than a few one-shots, I've mostly GM'd it. There's a gaming club I'm a member of that I could go play in, but they meet on Friday nights and it's kind of difficult to get that gong. A guy in my group could take over, but he runs Pathfinder, almost exclusively, and that's something I don't really want to get into (he already has another game going but I haven't joined). My sons are wanting to GM - my 12-year old is a whiz at Savage Worlds and my 15-year old is trying to get a M&M game put together. Both of them are often distracted, though. Thing is, my group hasn't played since Gen Con, so I wonder if they'll still want to play 5e after we finally get back together (probably another two weeks).

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I am going to be running Savage Worlds Rifts for my Thursday group in a few weeks. I used to play a good bit of M&M, even got into the play test credits for 2E, but I am thinking I will be a much bigger fan of Victorious going forward. I really like what I can let my players do, and do it much more simply, than M&M does things. Not that I am going to terribly by the book. Its much more an outline the way I am running things with it so far. Its a Supers RPG after all, technically you can never get OP for such a game. If things do get that crazy, just bring in a world eating god entity and start a new campaign.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I finished watching season 2 of Ash vs. Evil Dead and that made me want to play the Army of Darkness RPG so I picked it up again. I don't think I'll play it but there's enough there to get my tongue wanting another lick.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:

~O
Just to follow up, there was an announcement!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Top Secret!

Aergraith mentioned in the other games thread that Merle released a new version.

I pulled out my old boxed set (which is in fabulous condition) for a re-read.

For those that have this game, check out Darlene's rendering of Emma Peel (page 55) ~ awesome!!!

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Rhuvein wrote:Top Secret!

Aergraith mentioned in the other games thread that Merle released a new version.

I pulled out my old boxed set (which is in fabulous condition) for a re-read.

For those that have this game, check out Darlene's rendering of Emma Peel (page 55) ~ awesome!!!

8-)
We might have different versions...I think the same picture is on page 51 in my book. It is pretty great, though, I agree!

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

I've been going through gaming material. I found a Palladium book: Book II: The Old Ones.

It's loaded with information on cities and forts. The forts are especially awesome.

I'm impressed by some of the material that is so clean and concise but pulls you in as something you can run.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Palladium's fantasy RPG has some choice setting and adventure material. I've mined it for many years, but most of what I have taken is from Book II: The Old Ones.

I'm currently reading my print copy of The Blight (800 pgs). Egads!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, I don't post here that often - most of what I read is C&C - however, thanks to LD and others in the middle earth discussion a few weeks back, I have been reading The One Ring & Adventures in Middle Earth (the 5.e version of TOR).

I'll say it is a great feel for the setting and some interesting ideas.

Part of me want to be in a game, but the part of me that loves the simplicity of C&C wants to strap the cool stuff from it onto the siege engine and let that rip ...
Omote wrote:Palladium's fantasy RPG has some choice setting and adventure material. I've mined it for many years, but most of what I have taken is from Book II: The Old Ones.

I'm currently reading my print copy of The Blight (800 pgs). Egads!

~O
Rgr that, back in the day I borrowed heavily from Palladium for my home brew setting. I even did a Wolfen PC race for AD&D
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

What is The Blight?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

T1Hound wrote:What is The Blight?
https://www.froggodgames.com/blight

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Lurker wrote:Well, I don't post here that often - most of what I read is C&C - however, thanks to LD and others in the middle earth discussion a few weeks back, I have been reading The One Ring & Adventures in Middle Earth (the 5.e version of TOR).

Part of me want to be in a game, but the part of me that loves the simplicity of C&C wants to strap the cool stuff from it onto the siege engine and let that rip ...
To continue on this track, that conversation and some over on G+, has led me to get back some of my old MERP stuff. I wasn't into TOR as much when I previously owned some MERP products, but now that I've been developing a future game, I've found the MERP products pretty handy. So, I've been giving the MERP core book and the Campaign Guide a read. When I'm not looking through those, I've also got a copy of the Dragon Warriors RPG on the bedside table.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Lurker wrote:Well, I don't post here that often - most of what I read is C&C - however, thanks to LD and others in the middle earth discussion a few weeks back, I have been reading The One Ring & Adventures in Middle Earth (the 5.e version of TOR).

To continue on this track, that conversation and some over on G+, has led me to get back some of my old MERP stuff. I wasn't into TOR as much when I previously owned some MERP products, but now that I've been developing a future game, I've found the MERP products pretty handy. So, I've been giving the MERP core book and the Campaign Guide a read. When I'm not looking through those, I've also got a copy of the Dragon Warriors RPG on the bedside table.
I loved MERP as a game back in the day, but it was more of the setting, and that as I ran it for my friends kept it having a true Tolkien feel. That said, as I've read, I think "The One Ring" is a better fit for the true feel of Tolkien.

MERP will have some great background info for TOR, or be a good idea mine for a Tolkien setting. However, looking at it in compared to C&C, it is a bit to clunky / table heavy for my taste now.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Advertisements for old games.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Lurker wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:

I loved MERP as a game back in the day, but it was more of the setting, and that as I ran it for my friends kept it having a true Tolkien feel. That said, as I've read, I think "The One Ring" is a better fit for the true feel of Tolkien.
Been reading the "Adventures in Middle Earth" stuff myself lately and while I agree that they've captured the Tolkien "feel" perhaps better than MERP, I actually find the plethora of rules way too constraining. I don't want to simply recreate characters and scenes from The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, which is what the game seems to be trying to do. I find the class names annoying and the journey rules pretty ridiculous. A good GM/CK can capture that feel without a bunch of embarkation rolls, etc. I have no interest in tracking levels of exhaustion nor do I use short and long rests. It just seems like they try to predetermine too much with die rolls despite the supposed emphasis upon role-playing.

In the end, I'll probably just use the books to flavor a straight C&C game set in Middle Earth. I've still got all my old MERP modules as well, so I could use them for a mid Third Age campaign. I like certain aspects of AiME, but it retains too much of the clunky TOR rules that kept me from investing in that system.

Persimmon
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Been reading through the new Traveller Reach Adventures. The concepts aren't terribly new/original, but the differences in the details make them interesting.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I'm (re)reading my old issues of Space Gamer from issue 1. I'm up to 41 now, and its interesting to see the arguments in the letters pages over various games. Most of them are the same arguments I read on forums nowadays. :lol:

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Codename: Spandex, a faithful retro-clone of Golden Heroes. It was written by Blacky the Blackball, author of Dark Dungeons and several other retro-clones and rpg mashups.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Revturkey
Mist Elf

Post by Revturkey »

Leagues of Gothic Horror...and supplements. Brill.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

So, Goodman Games was/is offering "grab boxes" of two sizes, 1" and 3" depth. I bought 2 of the bigger ones. They're only $50 each at that size, and free shipping. Got here in like 3 days, too.

Anyway, since I bought both at once, they were guaranteed to not have duplicates. Yay.

I received the following, which is a mishmash of stuff they make, but that's alright and the point of a grab box...

DCC 67: Sailors on the Starless Sea
Age of Cthulhu: The Timeless Sands of India
Age of Cthulhu: Starfall On The Plateau Of Leng
Metamorphosis Alpha 40th Anniversary Edition
DCC 60: Thrones of Punjar
DCC 54: Forges of the Mountain King
DCC C9: Tomb of the Blind God
DCC 61: Citadel of the Corruptor
Points of Light
DM Campaign Record
The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor JG Reprint
DCC 84B: Purple Planet Companion
50 Fantastic Functions for the d50
DragonMech: 2nd Age of Walkers
Underdark Adventure Guide
DCC RPG 4th printing
The Book of Treasure Maps JG Reprint
Scrivener of Strange Wor(l)ds
The Devil's Chapbook
The Drain Chamber: Doug Kovacs Sketchbook 2016
The Chained Coffin (Silver + Wheel)
Free RPG Day 2016 Double Module
DCC 91: Journey to the Center of Aereth
Level Up Issue 3
Level Up Issue 2

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Damn, Serleran. That is a very nice haul, especially if you don't have any of that material already.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yeah, I had a few of them from havign originals (MA and the JG stuff) but that's alright. My originals don't see much use because I don't wanna ruin them... so I can now. Err, use the new versions.

Also, I just bought Temple of Existential Evil for HackMaster so hopefully it'll be cool.