Golden Heroes/Squadron UK - gauging interest...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Golden Heroes/Squadron UK - gauging interest...

Post by Tadhg »

OK buddy . . you got me!

As stated - not a fan of supers, but this thread has been so very interesting even for a game that I'm not interested in.

Since I believe Gring can make this interesting despite my reluctance in this genre ~ I'm willing to try a session or two.

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Awesome, watch this space for details.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

So, if this were a kickstarter, this is the part where everyone would be crying foul. But, it's not a kickstarter.

I'm still interested, more than ever in fact. But, I'm also still busy.

This game has become something of an obsession with me. I'd love to run it. I despair of ever actually doing so, but...

Simon Burley, co-creator and game designer, has written a book called "Conventional Thinking". There is a chapter about this game and its creation at the end of the book, which is available on a "pay what you want" basis at drivethrurpg.

The thing that sets GH apart from other Supers games is that it attempts to simulate comic books instead of physics. Which I like. Ultimately, the game's reach exceeded it's grasp, but not by much. And the reach itself is impressive in its own right. It's a neat piece of genre emulation that sets out to do one thing, and mostly succeeds, even if it sometimes does so in spite of itself.

I want more than ever to run this, and have been familiarizing myself with the rules for quite some time. Pretty sure I have it. Mostly elegant with a few missteps. Burley says the game grew out of his usage of Gamma World for supers, after his gaming group didn't like Superhero 2044. After reading that, I can totally see it, it's kind of funny.

Anyway, just checking in.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Also, the original idea - using one of the shorter adventures from White Dwarf - WAS probably a better idea than trying to adapt a Champs module. The Champs module I had in mind is neat, but long. And possibly a bit TOO uncomfortable for some people. It was the only Champs module to be pulled from the shelves lol.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Been running this for my nephews. It's not bad to run. I am using the introductory scenario in the Supervisors' Book. I will consider this a test run to hopefully run this with some people here. I purchased a copy of the"Codename: Spandex" retro-clone, so I could have something to flip through at the table while running this. It was well worth the money. It's a pretty pure clone of GH, and compatible right out of the box, so to speak. It's also GORGEOUS. Full color, beautifully illustrated, glossy pages, heavy paper, everything about C:S is QUALITY. It even improves upon the GH layout by compiling all of the relevant tables in the back of the book. I found a couple of minor typos, but nothing that will impact the game. Overall, it is one of the best looking RPG products I have purchased in a while. And it's a handy way to have an affordable, physical copy of the rules to refer to when running GH.